HAED Challenge Tranquil Tulip update 3/4/18

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

Busy_B

HAED Challenge Tranquil Tulip update 3/4/18

Post by Busy_B »

I know it has been quite a while since I've been active. Teaching and running a soccer club has kept me extremely busy with little time for stitching. I have been so stressed lately that it is affecting me physically. I read a lot to relax, but nothing really de-stresses me like stitching. When I heard about the challenges on the HAED board, I figured it was the perfect excuse. Like so many of us, I have quite a few WIPs, but I ended up buying a new pattern. This is something just for me and different from what I usually stitch. I am starting Tranquil Tulip http://heavenandearthdesigns.com/index. ... 13c409b63s by Disney. I just started a week ago, and I am currently on the third color. I'll try to get a picture of it tomorrow.
Last edited by Busy_B on Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
rcperryls

Re: HAED Challenge Tranquil Tulip

Post by rcperryls »

Nothing helps me relax as much as stitching does. I think it helps me to focus on something even as I'm watching tv or a dvd or listening to a book. I think that is a perfect design for this first challenge. I also used it as an excuse to start a new piece and am surprised that I have loved stitching it as much as I do. I'm actually on the last color of the first page and am not sure how I stitched it so quickly (for me) except that this is a page with absolutely no confetti. Looking forward to seeing your updates here and on the BB.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
DahliaDoll

Post by DahliaDoll »

Oh my! This is one HAED design that I love. Don't picture myself actually attempting it, but it will be gorgeous! I hope it really helps you de-stress!
My Blog: Crafting is My Busy-Ness

乁( •_• )ㄏ
vanessanjf

Post by vanessanjf »

What a pretty design, I am looking forward to seeing your progress pictures :)
Vanessa

A little progress every day adds up to big results

WIP
The adoration of the kings- Golden kite completed
lavenderbee

Post by lavenderbee »

That's great project. So vibrant & colourful. Look forward to seeing it on here as you work on it :D
lavenderbee :-)

stitching is beewitching

Things only become problems if you let them
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

:applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: This is going to be so beautiful---I'm looking forward to your updates on it!!!
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

Busy_B

Post by Busy_B »

Three colors down. I don't mind stitching one color at a time, I just need to figure out a better way of marking my pattern. I've been highlighting in yellow all stitches in a color and then going over them with blue when they are stitched. The colors are playing with my eyes sometimes. I thought taking a black marker to cover up what I've done would help, but it's harder. I'm going to try a different color combination to see if it helps.

WIPs: There Be Dragons, Feed My Sheep, Canyon Flight HAED, Lotus Flowers HAED, Christmas Cove
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Congrats on getting the first 3 colors done! :applesauce: :applesauce: When I look at some of the designs that people chose for this challenge, I almost (but not quite) feel like stitching a page without any confetti made it too easy for me to get the page done. And even with no confetti, I had a tricky time figuring out how to mark the chart. I eventually decided that my iPad was the best option. I rarely use it for stitching but it really helped here because I could highlight one color in yellow and then drew a red line through the finished squares. To keep the colors manageable when a 10 x 10 block was completed, I erased all the colors from the block and drew a large X through it. But again, I chose a not too complicated design. Maybe finding a combination of colors that are not so contrasting (like yellow and orange) would be less jarring for your eyes?

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

It certainly is a lovely tranquil design and you have made a grand start on it. :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Busy_B

Post by Busy_B »

I have finally remembered to take a picture to update this. The challenge is to have the page done by June 15. I am about 75% done. One thing I have learned from this technique--stitching one color at a time for the whole page-- is that it's not for me. I occasionally forget to mark a stitch, and it is hard to get the needle thru all the threads on the back. You never know until you try though, right?

WIPs: There Be Dragons, Feed My Sheep, Canyon Flight HAED, Lotus Flowers HAED, Christmas Cove
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

:applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: Absolutely beautiful!!!
Work in Progress
Various small designs

fccs

Post by fccs »

Beautiful!

I know me and I could never stitch each color individually. I like to jump around and sometimes one color calls to me louder than another.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
lavenderbee

Post by lavenderbee »

What beautiful work. I could not stitch one colour continually either. Look forward to seeing this again :applesauce: :D
lavenderbee :-)

stitching is beewitching

Things only become problems if you let them
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: Very pretty! Since I participated in the challenge I do appreciate how hard it can be to stick to one color at a time. Mine design only has 25 colors so stitching the background wasn't as difficult as stitch a piece with lots of confetti! I think you've done a beautiful job!

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Busy_B

Post by Busy_B »

I finished the page for the challenge late last night. Today is the last day for the challenge. I saved the tulip for last.
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Very Vibrant!! :applesauce:
Good idea to save the Tulip until last! :D
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: Beautiful!! I love the colors and the tulip is gorgeous!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:
Work in Progress
Various small designs

tiffstitch

Post by tiffstitch »

Great finish! I just squeaked in at the line as well with my page finish. :whoop:
Busy_B

Post by Busy_B »

tiffstitch wrote:Great finish! I just squeaked in at the line as well with my page finish. :whoop:
Woo Hoo!! :whoop: