Garnet's Stitch-a-long 2018/19 UPDATE 21.12.18

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

Garnet

Garnet's Stitch-a-long 2018/19 UPDATE 21.12.18

Post by Garnet »

After finishing Wuthering Heights, I needed another large project, so after going through my stash and my Joan Elliott Ultimate book I have finally decided on this Medieval Lady, I want to stitch all four (there are three in the book, but this year Joan Elliott also brought out The Embrioderess).

sorry tthe photo isn't great I had to pull a stock photo from the internet as the book wouldn't stay flat for the photo (mods I hope this is ok - delete it if it isn't please)

I have the fabric, beads and all threads except the Metallic gold used in the border and small areas of her dress. The shade called for in the book is discontinued, so I was wondering whether to use another Metallic, DMC Diamant or the new Mouline Etoile. Any ideas lovely people? or I could try DMC 3820 which is a lovely shade of old gold, any suggestions would be welcome.

In the meantime, while I am deciding which thread to use I got distracted and started another, can you guess what is it? and yes, it is a Wrendale.

sorry for the poor photo, it is allegedly daylight here in Wales at lunchtime, but I had to take the photo under the daylight lamp as the light is atrocious and the flash bleached everything out too much.
Last edited by Garnet on Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
karen4bells

Re: Garnet's Stitch-a-long 2018/19

Post by karen4bells »

These are both going to be fun to watch!!! As for my guess, I would say either the poppy field fox, or the donkey with robins??
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

Garnet

Post by Garnet »

Great guesses Karen, however I've already stitched the Fox and Poppy Field, I called him Blissful Mr. Fox, and oh my goodness don't tempt me with the Donkey!, He's gorgeous.
Nicola Main

Post by Nicola Main »

Ooooh is it the Robin Maureen? And I love the look of the Medieval Lady can't wait to see your progress on these :applesauce:
Work in Progress
Rachel Froud 'Highlander'
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

That really will be something when you finish it. I do like the Joan Elliott designs, they are really detailed, and the back stitch sharpens things a lot.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
poppy

Post by poppy »

I will keep a close eye on your updates on this one, Maureen. I love this designs and have bought the chart on e-bay, thanks to you :D

A robin was my guess too for the Wrendale... :thinks:
Hélène

Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace

Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell
Garnet

Post by Garnet »

Yes!

Well guessed Nicola, it's Jolly Robin, he'll keep me happy while I try to decide what gold thread to use for the Joan Elliott.

What do you think about the names and arrows on the newer kits Nicola? Personally I don't like them at all, it limits the options for framing as I don't want mounts for the Squirrel, Hedgehog and Blissful Mr. Fox, and sometimes I turn the fabric around to find the best pattern of spots. I'm not sure if I will use the newer fabric in future though. What they could have done was to print them at the edges of the fabric if they really had to put arrows on.
Garnet

Post by Garnet »

Well guessed too Poppy!

The Joan Elliott is lovely isn't it, the colours in her skirt are so rich. I might just have to try having two projects on the go :D
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Joan Elliotts Ladies are really lovely and your first choice to stitch is going to be oh so beautiful. I will be watching the Wrendale one too with great interest and try not to be tempted. :)
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Two great new projects and so different. Deciding on which one to stitch would be difficult for me. Looking forward to lots of updates!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Garnet

Post by Garnet »

I am having a bit of an issue with the Joan Eliott, I will be stitching her from this book

and rather than order all the threads and beads separately I bought the thread pack from Lakeside Needlecraft. All well and good until I was putting the threads on project cards, my book's chart calls for E677 (which I had thought was discontinued but happily it isn't) for the border and part of the Lady's skirt, Lakeside supplied Kreinik instead of the Light Effects, when I queried this Kate said Joan Elliott changed the metallic to the Kreinik, so I am not sure now what to use. I have ordered the Light Effects and will put both side by side to see which I like best, does anyone know why Joan Elliot changed this?

So I decided to carry on merrily stitching away on the Wrendale Jolly Robin and here is my update. I have decided to call him Rhys, after the Robn that visits my bird feeder every morning.

I'm loving this one, I'm not so sure I'll enjoy all the white later on with the lack of light in the UK - the lights have to go around 3pm :(
rcperryls

Re: Garnet's Stitch-a-long 2018/19 UPDATE 10.12.18

Post by rcperryls »

Can't wait to see you start your lady, but in the meantime that robin is so bright and cheery to work on!

Carole
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Wouldn't be surprised if the change was because light effects is so appalling to stitch with! :lol: And Kreinik might be more readily available, possibly?
Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

Maureen,
I have my own ways with metallics. In the WIP bellpull the chart wanted Kreinik 3202. I asked about in shops and they did not have it. So I took out my good old DMC gold (3821) and am happy with it. Such an approach saves me nerves (and sometimes money).
Lyudmila
Nicola Main

Post by Nicola Main »

Rhys the Robin is looking gorgeous Maureen! Lovely seeing him come to life under your needle! :applesauce: And I agree about the light it's so annoying! I'm sure you'll decide something with the Kreinik/Light Effects :dance:
Work in Progress
Rachel Froud 'Highlander'
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Rhys is gorgeous Maureen and you have made a brilliant start. It is going to be fun watching this come to life for sure.

As for the Krienik/Light Effects threads it will be interesting to see which one you prfer. I have not used Light Effects at all as they are so hard to get downunder. Had you given a thought to DMC's latest thread which have some bling in them?
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

What a festive splash of red your jolly robin is!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
poppy

Post by poppy »

Rhys is watching us! :D You made a great start on him, Maureen.

Regarding the DMC light effect, I had to use it a lot while stitching my Wedding Sampler. As the threads would not lay flat when I stitched with 2 strands, I used only one strand at a time and went over the stitch twice. It took time but it worked well.
Hélène

Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace

Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell
Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

Helene, you are a genius! I am backstitching in metallic gold, and as the thing will be washed at least every year, i need two golden strands. But stitching in two on the 14c Aida makes the gold shabby. Now I will take your advice. Thank you very much for sharing this method. :whoop:
Lyudmila
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

rcperryls wrote:Can't wait to see you start your lady, but in the meantime that robin is so bright and cheery to work on!

Carole
I agree!! Loving your Robin already!!
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs