Charming Kitten Dimensions kit - Update 24/5

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

kingfisher68(2)

Charming Kitten Dimensions kit - Update 24/5

Post by kingfisher68(2) »

This is the project I am getting kit ready for. I did not get on with the otter project as my heart wasn't in it but have kept the Aida & threads. The Aida I will use for a cottage chart I have as I want to do that in 16 count.

As mentioned in previous topic I hope to start stitching this in a few days time & will add a picture once I have done a few of the reverse cross stitches, not sure where reverse half stitches start but will work that out when I start stitching. I begin in the middle of kitten's face by its nose with reverse cross stitches.

For those of you who like stitching Dimensions Gold Petite kits this has combined thread stitches which I don't mind, & some stitches with 3 strands of threads to add texture & definition.

Last edited by kingfisher68(2) on Wed May 24, 2017 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Izzi

If you believe you can you wil

Finished 2017
Pleasant Row Cottages
Kingfisher & flowers
Squirrel

Re: Charming Kitten - Dimensions kit

Post by Squirrel »

That kitten is such a cutie and what unusual colourings it is too. Looking forward to the updates on this one.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

:wub: :wub: I am in love!!! Looking forward to seeing this one come to life!!
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

fccs

Post by fccs »

karen4bells wrote::wub: :wub: I am in love!!! Looking forward to seeing this one come to life!!
Me, too.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
DisneyStitcher

Post by DisneyStitcher »

Going to be a real cutie! Check the dimensions of the fabric before you start. I've had several Dimensions kits that gave barely a 1 inch margin around the design. I usually throw the fabric that came with the kit into a stash and use it as scrap or for a much smaller project and get a bigger piece for the kit design. Happy Stitching!
Nicola Main

Post by Nicola Main »

Gorgeous Izzi! I love Ragdolls and this little kitten is adorable! Can't wait to see your progress with it xxx
Work in Progress
Rachel Froud 'Highlander'
kingfisher68(2)

Thanks, I fell in love with it too. Was looking at it a quite a few months before I bought it. I did not need it; but in the end just could not resist it any more. Never thought of a Rag Doll kitten Nicola - thought it may be a Birman as they have blue eyes too but I can see eyes are rounder.

Thank you for mentioning fabric size DisneyStitcher. Luckily not had that problem but it is wise to check kit fabrics.

Have another cat project to do later on. Bought a book called Cute & Cuddly as it had cats & wildlife charts as well as teddies. That cat is black & white short haired, reminiscent of my old cat, Whisky who lived till she was 15 years old. Left her with my parent when I married as she was fairly old then & was settled. It is supposed to be a pink nightdress case but I have bought yellow Aida as I want it as a picture. Another one of this cat is it sitting up & a tray insert. Lovely green eyes. Cute kitten charts too which I may do for a friend who has 6 cats & 2 dogs. Doubt I will do any of teddy bear charts, maybe a small birthday card but nothing bigger.
Izzi

Finished 2017
Pleasant Row Cottages
Kingfisher & flowers
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

fccs wrote:
karen4bells wrote::wub: :wub: I am in love!!! Looking forward to seeing this one come to life!!
Me, too.
and me!!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

There are times when I hate cats. They know exactly which heart-string to pull & how hard. I can hear the loud 'twang' from this one.
If I keep telling myself I loathe this picture, I may eventually cease wanting one myself. Going to be hard, and I've failed miserably so far. Maybe I need different tactics; Like leave my wallet at home. That could work. :?

Hope it comes together for you.
I will try ignoring this thread and not peek at the progress, but I suspect I'll fail badly. Again.

Hrrumph. Cats: Who would have them?

All the best

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
tiffstitch

Post by tiffstitch »

Very cute cat and expression, great choice and I hope you get on well with the reverse cross stitches!
kingfisher68(2)

Thank you both. I started stitching Sunday evening & went very slowly. I have just seen on the close up I have stitched 4 stiches wrong way round. Could not see it normally but on close up of eye I can see them. I did undo the 3 blue stitches down the right side of the eye but see I must have done them wrong way round again, also see a beige one is to the left instead of to the right. One of the blue ones has gone a bit too far over & into the beige. I will make sure I use my strongest magnifier tonight, this is 18count.

Now I have a dilemma, do I undo these stitches or leave them? Normally I would undo them but they are in the middle of the eye & I do not want to mess up the surrounding stitches. These cannot be seen to be the wrong way unless you look very hard & I am really annoyed with myself as I wanted to do it sooo nicely! But it certainly teaches me a lesson, to be slow throughout. I suppose the best thing would be to undo that eye & re-stitch it. I wouldn't hesitate to do that on 14 count but of course, these stitches are tighter on the 18 Aida & it's not something I can put down to the light making it look wrong way round 8)

Would be glad of your opinions please.

Thank you.
Last edited by kingfisher68(2) on Wed May 24, 2017 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Izzi

Finished 2017
Pleasant Row Cottages
Kingfisher & flowers
Nicola Main

Re: Charming Kitten Dimensions kit - Update 24/5

Post by Nicola Main »

Oh so frustrating Izzi! I'm a perfectionist and have OCD so I would be tempted to take them out and redo them. If you can live with them like that though then just leave them. It's totally up to you! You've made a good start though and yes, just take your time with it, there's no rush, rushing means you just make more mistakes xxx
Last edited by Nicola Main on Thu May 25, 2017 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Work in Progress
Rachel Froud 'Highlander'
kingfisher68(2)

Thanks Nicola. I went out for a walk when I finished posting on here & it cleared my mind. I am going to leave the stitches as they are. At the moment people have far more serious things to worry about than a few tiny stitches in the wrong place & it does not show or detract from the eyes. That does not mean I am belittling your OCD Nicola as I know how it is with those type of conditions. I used to be a perfectionist when I was a teenager. if something was not 100% right I either would not go out, my hair & clothes had to be exact. With sewing or knitting would sit up to the early hours putting it right. Drove my parents mad.
Izzi

Finished 2017
Pleasant Row Cottages
Kingfisher & flowers
poppy

Post by poppy »

kingfisher68(2) wrote:I am going to leave the stitches as they are. At the moment people have far more serious things to worry about than a few tiny stitches in the wrong place & it does not show or detract from the eyes.
Actually, it will make your design unique! :D
As I am getting older, I do not worry about deviating from the pattern a bit. It is quite liberating! :D
One can already see the expression of the little kitten: It is lovely!
Looking forward to more updates!
Hélène

Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace

Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell
Lulu22

Post by Lulu22 »

I think you should do what makes you happiest, I used the wrong colour on my Chinese lady I am currently stitching it was the wrong shade of red on 20 count aida so I unpicked about 50 stitches, I could not leave it I too am a perfectionist and wish I wasn't!

All that aside what a gorgeous design those blue eye's really draw you in and you've made a super start :applesauce:
WIPS
Snow
Gamer Nouveau
Clara
Meadow
kingfisher68(2)

Thank you all. I did more dark brown & combined brown & grey threads last night. Each time I pick this up I remember my mistake & realise I am not perfect I am human & do make mistakes. I thought I'd stopped trying to be Superwoman decades ago but with my hobbies I do try & take extra care to do it as on the picture. Having said that, realise a few stitches in the wrong place here or there makes no difference unless it shows. Several blips occurred on Pleasant Row Cottages & no one knew where they were except me - now I can only remember a couple on the very dark green & mauve flowers, have forgotten exact areas of brickwork the others were .

As you say it is up to each person. Am still doing full reverse cross stitches - not done any reverse half cross stitches yet.
Izzi

Finished 2017
Pleasant Row Cottages
Kingfisher & flowers
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I don't think the cross stitch police will either fine or arrest you for a few stitches that aren't exactly like the chart said they should be and if they don't make a difference then I would leave them. A year from now you might not even remember where those stitches are. Unless it is obvious (like clearly the wrong color or a stitch that is in the wrong spot and will affect how other stitches look, and one I can't stitch over ( :oops: ), I will leave it as is. So far this looks great and how wonderful that the kitty will be able to watch you stitch the rest of her (him?). Too cute!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
kingfisher68(2)

Thank you both. Very witty Carole, made me smile :D
Izzi

Finished 2017
Pleasant Row Cottages
Kingfisher & flowers
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Whether you unpick an re-stitch is a decision only you can make, and it's determined to a large extent by how much (if at all) it will irritate you in years to come (if this project is for yourself). I've left "mistakes" that weren't too noticeable, but for me much depends on the project - something I'd find acceptable in one project might bug me forever in another.

In other stitchers' work, I've seen tiny mistakes which seemed almost invisible to me but which the stitcher felt she simply HAD to re-do because otherwise it would be like an itch she couldn't get to whenever she looked at the finished project; and I've seen fairly large, erm, digressions from the chart :-) which would have driven me up the wall but which the stitcher in question didn't mind and wasn't bothered by. So it's a very personal thing.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
kingfisher68(2)

Thank you Mabel.
Izzi