New start March 29 2017

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

Ajay

New start March 29 2017

Post by Ajay »

So I was suppose to have this done by last Christmas......due to another WIP speaking to me more and being more demanding( I'm amazed how these pieces don't understand deadlines) I didn't start it till last night. So this is what I started with tonight, from my start to 2 hours

Then at the end of my two hours tonight, I have to limit myself on work nights otherwise I'll stitch till my alarm goes off to go to work the next day.

My husband when I showed him, he said....."you haven't done anything.....", but then again he was probably giving me the same look i have on my face when he tries to talk to me about World of Tanks.

I'm debating doing the backstitching as I go along or not. Especially as there is French Knots put everywhere. in what i have already sttiched there is 4 of them.........and I'm really regretting not doing that in Woodland Enchantress.
Any thoughts?
If anyone uses Whatsapp, pm me to connect.

WIP
Woodland Enchantress-----She's not talking to me
Frederick The Literate-----I have upset this cat somehow
Jolly Trio Stocking-----Not ready to think of the C word yet
Frosted Pumpkin MSAL 2017
rcperryls

Re: New start March 29 2017

Post by rcperryls »

I think you've made a good start and are making good progress :applesauce: :applesauce:. Depending on how large a piece this will be you could be finished long before Christmas! Though I don't have many projects with backstitch these days, I used to love Teresa Wentzler and Paula Vaughn designs and they both have lots of backstitch. I would do the bs as I went since I loved seeing the detail emerge. But sometimes I didn't. Which doesn't help you, but it really depended on the project and my mood at the time. At the finish line it doesn't make a difference. French knots I saved because I could never really do them well and depending on what they were for might have not done all of the ones I was supposed to. :oops:

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Nicola Main

Post by Nicola Main »

As Carole says, not sure how big your project is and I've never done anything more than 12 inches by 12 inches but I personally do the backstitch as I go along. I know 'the rule' is to leave it until last but I love seeing faces (I usually do animals, birds and flowers) and details as I go along. It's totally up to you, of course, you've made a fantastic start! xxx
Work in Progress
Rachel Froud 'Highlander'
AlwaysGoofy

Post by AlwaysGoofy »

That's a beautiful start to your project. The colors look soft and inviting. I am definitely looking forward to more updates.

Everyone has their own thoughts and preferences on backstitching. Generally, I save it until the end, but don't see a problem if you backstitch as you go. French knots I would definitely wait until the end. I would be afraid of the hoop or frame squishing them down. Or I may decide to use little beads or leave them off altogether depending on how the piece looks. Again, it's all just personal preference.
AlwaysGoofy's Blog with Cross Stitching, Quilting, and My Love of All Things Disney: http://goofinoffaroundtheblock.blogspot.com/
fccs

Post by fccs »

I think you've made a great start! Beautiful colors, by the way. As for the backstitching, since it is not my favorite thing to do, I tend to do it as I go.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

That is a really great start and it is going to be interesting to watch it grow.
I know what you mean about b/s when there are a lot of French knots or beads. It really is a matter of preference as to when to do it. Maybe you could try out doing a bit of b/s as you go along and see how that goes then decide whether to continue or leave it to the end. :lol:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I do the backstitching in a finished area, as I go along. Don't have patience anymore for doing it when the whole piece is completed. I guess I'd save the French Knots, tho: be a shame to have them squished.
Lulu22

Post by Lulu22 »

You've made a great start :applesauce: Everyone is different, I'm not a big fan of back stitch, I would do it as I go along it's more tolerable that way!
WIPS
Snow
Gamer Nouveau
Clara
Meadow
Purple Patsy

Post by Purple Patsy »

I agree with the majority here and would recommend you do the backstitching as soon as the area is complete and no futher stitches will be added to distort the backstitches. I have a project that is finished apart from the backstitching and I will need to force myself to pick it back up and do the bs sometime, but it really isn't a prospect I'm looking forward to. I may have to set myself a goal of doing an hour a day on it till it's done, and before I do any other stitching or it'll never be done. :D

I have no idea why I didn't do it as I went along as I usually do this. :D
WIPs
The Astronomer (HaED)
Gamer Nouveau (Gecko Rouge)
Woodland Enchantress (Dimensions)
Sagi No Mai (Maia)

Finishes on forum
Starry Night with TARDIS 12 Aug 2016 -27 June 2017
Royal Holiday