Christmas House - Frogging :(

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

starshine123102

Christmas House - Frogging :(

Post by starshine123102 »

After many years of wanting to do this project I have finally started! It's the Christmas House from the 101 Best Loved Designs from Cross Stitch and Country Crafts. I know that a few others on here have done this piece in the past as well.

This is will be my first project that has hardanger in it for a few year, so I am excited to do it again. It will, however, be my first time doing any cutwork with my new Millennium Frame. For those of you who use this frame, is there anything that I need to be aware of with the tightening after cuts have been made? I wouldn't think so, but I would have to have something happen to it!

Also, I seem to be having issues with the satin stitches with the pearl 8 on the roof looking sparse/loose. If I pull any harder, I will start to distort the threads and I don't want the fabric to have any enlarged holes/pulls in it. Any suggestions? :-? :-| :doh:

Here is what I have after a week's worth of stitching. Enjoy!

Last edited by starshine123102 on Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michelle
:ratherbe:

2016 FINISHES:
All Hallows Eve (Glendon Place)
Delightful Fruits - Grapes (CSN 3/2013)
Delightful Fruits - Apples
Delightful Fruits - Berries (CSN 5/2013)
Delightful Fruits - Pears

2017 WIP:
Christmas House
fccs

Re: Christmas House

Post by fccs »

I can't answer your questions, but wow! This is going to be beautiful.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Brody0

Post by Brody0 »

I also have no help to add, but this is amazing!
isaacson72

Post by isaacson72 »

I've never heard of that design before but WOW :shock: It's so beautiful! I can't do hardanger but I really would love to learn. Sorry, I don't have any answers either, just wanted to say you're off to a great start! And that I'm putting this on my to-do wish list!

Michelle
Michelle

WIP: HAED Candlestick Man (ornament)
WIP: various, never-ending, mason jar lids
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I've often thought of doing this piece, so it will be very interesting watching it develop.

I'm surprised that pearl #8 was used for the roof -- what is the count size and colour of the fabric? Are you using a different fabric than the one recommended? The coverage was never going to be perfect and in order to counteract the thinness you'd need to really watch both the tension and the twist of the thread. An increased contrast between fabric colour and thread is unhelpful, but saying that, the photo of the original shows the same problems.

I think most of the problems are in switching from the long thread of the "arrowhead" to a much shorter, 2-thread? stitch, which is hard not to pull too tight. How about using a fat needle or a laying tool to help with the tension?

I also suspect that, from a distance, it won't be so noticeable -- we are our own worst critics! :wip: :D
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

OH!! That's so beautiful!! I'm not usually a fan of Christmas designs so if I did that I would change the season!

Is this still available? As if I didn't already have enough S.A.B.L.E :doh: :doh:
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

I've seen this design and will really enjoy seeing it being stitched! As for your questions, I'll echo what Serinde has said; also, it depends on personal taste. Me, I'm a nut for coverage and so will use #8/#5 on anything up to 28ct whereas most kits/designs that use 28ct will specify #12/#8.

I've not tried any cutting on my Millenium frame because I tend to turn my work a lot when cutting, which is easier with a hoop (it helps that most of my projects are quite small); the only thing I can think of that might be worth bearing in mind is that the tension on a Millennium frame is very high, and if there is a lot of fabric "missing" after cutting it might cause distortion? I would probably slacken it off a little after cutting, just to be on the safe side (that should also help cut ends disappear :-) )
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: Beautiful start! I love Hardanger and this is going to be stunning! I'm pulling up the magic bench to watch as you are stitching!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
starshine123102

Thank you everyone for all of your kind words on the start of my work! I'm absolutely loving working on this piece!!
Mabel Figworthy wrote:I've not tried any cutting on my Millenium frame because I tend to turn my work a lot when cutting, which is easier with a hoop (it helps that most of my projects are quite small); the only thing I can think of that might be worth bearing in mind is that the tension on a Millennium frame is very high, and if there is a lot of fabric "missing" after cutting it might cause distortion? I would probably slacken it off a little after cutting, just to be on the safe side (that should also help cut ends disappear :-) )
Serinde wrote:I've often thought of doing this piece, so it will be very interesting watching it develop.

I'm surprised that pearl #8 was used for the roof -- what is the count size and colour of the fabric? Are you using a different fabric than the one recommended? The coverage was never going to be perfect and in order to counteract the thinness you'd need to really watch both the tension and the twist of the thread. An increased contrast between fabric colour and thread is unhelpful, but saying that, the photo of the original shows the same problems.

I think most of the problems are in switching from the long thread of the "arrowhead" to a much shorter, 2-thread? stitch, which is hard not to pull too tight. How about using a fat needle or a laying tool to help with the tension?

I also suspect that, from a distance, it won't be so noticeable -- we are our own worst critics! :wip: :D
Serinde & Mabel,

I am using the recommended fabric - 25 ct Dublin in Platinum. Part of the reason I put this project off for so long is that this fabric is no longer made in this color/count combination was outside of Ebay was impossible to find!

I too noticed that the original piece had the same issues as well. And don't I know it that we are our own worst critics - I'm a stickler for perfection up to a fault!

That is what I was worried about, so perhaps I will wait until the very end and do the cutting in my hoop. Although, I do like the way you think about the tension helping the ends disappear :idea: !
Michelle

2016 FINISHES:

2017 WIP:
Christmas House
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I would suggest that you cut one section at a time and do the necessary needle weaving before moving on to another section to cut -- once all the surface stitching is complete, of course. The fabric is unlikely to become unstable that way. Surely you can slacken the tension on the frame?

Platinum linen is a lovely colour -- I'm using it in 28ct for my firebird -- just sorry it's not possible to find it easily in any other format.
Lulu22

Post by Lulu22 »

Wow that's so pretty :wub: lovely start :applesauce:
WIPS
Snow
Gamer Nouveau
Clara
Meadow
kingfisher68

Post by kingfisher68 »

This is a really wonderful design & you have made a very good start :applesauce: :applesauce:
Izzi

Believe you can & you will

WIP
DMC Pleasant Row Cottages
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

:applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: Love this one!! Great start
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

AlwaysGoofy

Post by AlwaysGoofy »

That is truly a beautiful design. Your work so far looks flawless to me. I am looking forward to seeing more and more updates.
AlwaysGoofy's Blog with Cross Stitching, Quilting, and My Love of All Things Disney: http://goofinoffaroundtheblock.blogspot.com/
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

That is a really lovely design and you have made an excellent start on it. I am going to pull up the magic bench and watch you stitch this gorgeous one. :D :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Linda Rose

Post by Linda Rose »

That pattern is gorgeous! The start you have made is equally beautiful.
Linda
phoebefreckle

Post by phoebefreckle »

I've not seen this pattern before. I'm now very intrigued and excited. Looking forward to watching this develop. :D
WIP:
Punky Fairy
Bothy Thread Alphabet
Shoe Tree
Max's Moon
Small fairy
Some knitting and crochet

End 2016 finishes
Christmas Wreath embroidery
Knitted rag dolls
Green jumper

Rowandean embroidery 2017 finish
starshine123102

Re: Christmas House - Frogging :(

With the winter weather we had in New England yesterday, I was able to go home early from work - which of course means I wet straight home and did two things: played with adorable new cat, Calvin, and got in some extra hours of cross stitch.

I thought that I was making some awesome progress on the house when I all of a sudden realized that I was using the wrong color on the 4 sided back stitch that is on the chimney and around the large window! I started :anotherfrog: :anotherfrog: :anotherfrog: and when I went to go grab the correct color, I then realized that the pearl thread I should be using was the wrong size! :tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum: When I bought it in my local(ish) shop the balls of #12 must have been in the wrong section and I grabbed #8 instead. And, as luck may have it, neither the woman assisting me or I noticed it was the wrong size in the compartment. Well, I have to cross my fingers that Michael's carries balls of 644, because otherwise I will either have to make the hour drive this weekend to the shop, or buy it online. I think that I will be driving out there, because last I remember, Michaels only carries about 3-4 colors of #8 or #12, usually only black, white and ecru.

At least I still have plenty of other areas that can be stitched in the meantime.

As for Calvin, he is an adorable 11 YO rescue that we started off as fostering and earlier this week decided to keep. He was recently diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and was given up by his owners pre-diagnosis for not using his litter box (which is one of many signs of the disease). We are still trying to get him stabilized on the right dose of medication but he seems to be very happy with us and is an absolute love! My favorite is when he decided to sit up on his haunches and "wave" at you....I melted immediately after! :kitty: :love:

The poor little guy has had a bunch of other issues in the past 5-6 weeks he has been with us. On Christmas Eve, about 4 days after picking him up we found out that he had ringworm and 2 parasites, which were also causing him to not use his box and our couch instead :cry:. After 2.5 weeks of multiple medications, and a very unhappy kitty, is finally buggy free! :whoop: :whoop:

Michelle

2016 FINISHES:

2017 WIP:
Christmas House
isaacson72

Post by isaacson72 »

I'm sorry to hear about your frogging issues, that's really frustrating. But at least you've got that very handsome kitty to ease your frustrations!! What a doll! I think Calvin must be waving and saying "hey you! Thanks for making me feel better!" He's gorgeous!

-Michelle
Michelle

WIP: HAED Candlestick Man (ornament)
WIP: various, never-ending, mason jar lids
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

So sorry you have had problems with the project and I hope you are able to get the correct thread without too much hassle!!
As for your furbaby, he is just gorgeous!!! :wub: :wub: :wub:
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs