AlwaysGoofy's 2017 Stitch-A-Long Updates

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

kingfisher68(2)

Re: AlwaysGoofy's 2017 Stitch-A-Long Updates

Post by kingfisher68(2) »

Glad your dad is recovering & had good nursing care. Such a relief for you & your family. Love this Tinkerbell, will miss seeing her once you've finished it as it has been a lovely project to follow as you've gone along. :applesauce: :applesauce:

I looked at your blog earlier & just love the latest quilt, great colours. Have looked at a few pics but have saved your blog on my Favourites so will go back & read it properly another day. And will keep checking regularly as I enjoy reading what you have been doing & seeing what you are making.
Izzi

If you believe you can you wil

Finished 2017
Pleasant Row Cottages
Kingfisher & flowers
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Love the top, it is gorgeous and the colours are just so right and bright. A great update on Tinkerbell, almost finished. :lol:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
fccs

Post by fccs »

I'm glad Dad is recovering and getting stronger.

Your quilt is wonderful, and Tink is so close to being done. She's soooo sweet!
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
AlwaysGoofy

Post by AlwaysGoofy »

DisneyStitcher wrote:Love the quilt top! :wub: Keep the pictures coming. Great news about your dad. Be sure PT/OT/and or Speech gives him a maintenance program for when he goes home. Also, check with DMV and find out what their requirements are for driving. Louisiana has an automatic 6 mo restriction for TBI, stroke, seizure and the like, but other conditions are left up to the doctor's recommendation. Some states offer a driving assessment if you are worried about it, but be careful and get all the information about the program before you agree to participate b/c sometimes it's next to impossible to get regular renewals afterward.
Thanks for the information. My dad is already legally blind, so he hasn't driven in years. They are already giving my dad and the family PT that can be done at home when he gets there. We are very impressed with this facility.
AlwaysGoofy's Blog with Cross Stitching, Quilting, and My Love of All Things Disney: http://goofinoffaroundtheblock.blogspot.com/
AlwaysGoofy

Post by AlwaysGoofy »

Yay! I've got another update on Tink! Only one more section to go after this.

Hopefully, I'll have it finished by the end of this week. Only time will tell. 8)

Oh, and I've finished my first try and quilting a quilt on my sewing machine. It's not perfect, but it will definitely save some time on my charity quilts in the future. I've got a picture of it along with some weird obsession I had Monday morning with Ziplocs on my latest blog post. Am I the only one thinks they should buy stock in the maker of Ziploc? (hanging my head in shame)
AlwaysGoofy's Blog with Cross Stitching, Quilting, and My Love of All Things Disney: http://goofinoffaroundtheblock.blogspot.com/
DisneyStitcher

Post by DisneyStitcher »

I think it came out great! When you did the machine quilting, did you use a walking foot? Did you hoop each section? If not, how did you keep the layers smooth? I've only ever hand quilted. I have an embroidery foot that I've tried to use a couple of times but for free motion quilting, but I'm really, really bad it.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

:wub: the update on Tinkerbell and it is almost done - boo hoo. Your quilting is great and oh so straight. WELL DONE on both of them.

WIPS
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

:applesauce: Beautiful quilting!! And look, miss tinkerbell is almost done!! :wub:
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

AlwaysGoofy

Post by AlwaysGoofy »

DisneyStitcher wrote:I think it came out great! When you did the machine quilting, did you use a walking foot? Did you hoop each section? If not, how did you keep the layers smooth? I've only ever hand quilted. I have an embroidery foot that I've tried to use a couple of times but for free motion quilting, but I'm really, really bad it.
DisneyStitcher, I didn't use my walking foot. When I get around to doing free-motion quilting, I'll use the walking foot. My machine tells me what foot to use based on the quilting stitch I was doing. My foots are lettered, so I don't know the names (shame on me...I'll learn it some day). I basted the quilt about every 8 inches before I used the machine. I have a basting gun that I bought at JoAnn's years ago. The layers held together very well, and I've only found one pucker in the quilting which I chose not to go back and fix since I'm keeping the quilt.

I've also done hand quilting and tied my quilts depending on how the quilt is going to be used. I'm still on a steep learning curve with the quilting because, you know, there are so many hobbies and work and parents and children taking up my time. :wink:
DisneyStitcher

Post by DisneyStitcher »

At least your machine will tell you which foot to use. :wink: A walking foot is that big, huge, clunky contraption that feeds your quilt evenly so you don't get that drag between the top and bottom layers caused by the feed dogs. I haven't ever used one and they are expensive so I've been hesitant to buy one in case I find out I hate machine quilting. The embroidery foot is the one that has an open circle on the bottom that lets you see exactly where you are directing the needle. You drop (or cover) the feed dogs when you are using it and direct the fabric in whatever direction you want to go. There is supposedly a "feel" you get when doing it so that you're pushing around the fabric at the right speed to not foul up the bottom bobbin thread......I have yet to experience this so called "feel." :roll: I think that if I would just have some patience I could probably master this skill. But I've also been hung up on how to keep the quilt sandwich smooth. I have always hand quilted from a hoop, and I'm used to everything being pulled tight and smooth.

I, too, have the basting gun - I cannot imagine any other way of sandwiching my quilts. Like me, have you upon occasion basted your quilt to the carpet? I don't consider it a successful session unless I have to liberate at least 2 tacks.
poppy

Post by poppy »

Your Tinkerbell is wonderful! I love everything about the design. Beautiful colours!
Hélène

Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace

Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell
kingfisher68(2)

Post by kingfisher68(2) »

:whoop: :applesauce: :applesauce: Another great update, soon be finished. I will miss seeing this one when it has been completed but well done on all you beautiful work :D
Izzi

If you believe you can you wil

Finished 2017
Pleasant Row Cottages
Kingfisher & flowers
Lulu22

Post by Lulu22 »

She is gorgeous :wub: so near a finish beautiful update :applesauce:
WIPS
Snow
Gamer Nouveau
Clara
Meadow
AlwaysGoofy

Post by AlwaysGoofy »

Well, she's finally done! I'll get her framed after next month. We've got a lot going on for the next few weeks--including a nice vacation away with my hubby, his parents, a couple of his siblings, and their spouses. It should be a lot of fun.

Here she is:

I've also got the Tink quilt completely finished and posted on my last blog post for those who are interested.

Next up stitching-wise for me:
  • Finish a Snow White UFO
  • Start my new project (approx 200 colors) - Pirate themed because the new Pirates movie is coming next month
  • May a few more simple Disney princess sprinkled in during the Pirates piece to help keep my sanity
Thanks for all the great encouragement and not complaining about my Disney obsession! :D
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

You got there :mexicanwave: It is looking really fantastic and I hope you are delighted with it too. :whoop: :whoop: :whoop:

Love the quilt now it is finished, it looks fabulous. :whoop: :whoop: :whoop:

WIPS
fccs

Post by fccs »

:applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:

She is fantastic! Congratulations on a beautifully stitched piece!!
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

fccs wrote: :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:

I definitely agree!!! She looks amazing!! :wub: :applesauce: :wub:
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

DisneyStitcher

Post by DisneyStitcher »

Great finish! I love her!!!!! :wub:
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

karen4bells wrote:
fccs wrote: :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:

I definitely agree!!! She looks amazing!! :wub: :applesauce: :wub:
Totally agree!!! And I never get tired of Disney pieces. I've not done any but love watching them progress. This one of Tink is especially beautiful!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
AlwaysGoofy

Post by AlwaysGoofy »

Thank you, everyone, for all the kind words. This was probably my favorite project I've worked on...to date. Hopefully, I've got lots and lots more left to stitch. :D