Sealing a piece vs a frame

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

Brody0

Sealing a piece vs a frame

Post by Brody0 »

I stitched a few small pieces as a gift, but I'm not happy with the availability of frames for these-- I kind of want to simply tack the fabric onto a piece of wood, to get a frameless, canvas look. However, these are going to be hung in the kitchen, and I know from experience that pieces can get more than dusty, but actually oily when hung in the kitchen. Does anyone know of a solution to "seal" the piece so that it can be cleaned of oils, etc?

Or any other ideas for hanging these that don't necessarily include a frame and might be a bit cleaner?

Thanks!
PattyMac

Re: Sealing a piece vs a frame

Post by PattyMac »

What if you made them into a square clear coaster but hung it on the wall instead? Just a thought. Some of the stitchers on here have done some lovely coasters and I wondered if you couldn't hang them as well. Let us know what you come up with.
- Pat
DisneyStitcher

Post by DisneyStitcher »

You could try scotch guard. I would sew a few lines on some scrap aida cloth and test it before I actually treated the gifts with it. How do you plan on tacking them to the wood? Once they're mounted, how do you envision them being cleaned? Even spot cleaning, I'd be worried about oils from the wood leaching through over time.

If you have enough of a header, you could turn under the top edge to form a sleeve and hang them on a length of dowel. You could attach twine or a small gauge leather to the ends of the dowel to hang them from that would give it a rustic look. Then if they got dirty they could be taken off the dowel and actually washed. If you don't have enough margins to do this but like the idea, you could use a complementing fabric and put on a thin binding and make the sleeve at the top with the binding fabric.

Let us know what you end up doing. Happy New Year!
Brody0

Post by Brody0 »

PattyMac wrote:What if you made them into a square clear coaster but hung it on the wall instead?
This is pretty much what I'm envisioning... Have you done the coasters before? What's the process?
Brody0

Post by Brody0 »

DisneyStitcher wrote:You could try scotch guard.

If you have enough of a header, you could turn under the top edge to form a sleeve and hang them on a length of dowel. You could attach twine or a small gauge leather to the ends of the dowel to hang them from that would give it a rustic look. Then if they got dirty they could be taken off the dowel and actually washed.
Scotch Guard is a good idea, but you're right, I'd definitely want to do a test run. I really thought just wood glue around the edges would work, and then the cleaning would be wiping off the surface with a damp sponge and maybe a little soap... hence the scotch guard would maybe be promising.

I also like the dowel idea, and that would allow for actual cleaning...

All good ideas. Thanks for the brainstorming!
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

I've done both coasters (LOTS of coasters :shock: ) and trivets, and they work pretty much the same. The coasters are acrylic and in two parts - I iron very thin vilene (iron-on interfacing) to the back, then cut exactly to size (the vilene keeps it from unravelling) and pop it in, then snap the back in when I'm happy with the positioning.

You can see some of the coasters here, and if you scroll down a bit there's another set; and I wrote about the trivets on my blog. The trivets I got from Sew & So (sadly out of stock at the moment), the coasters I get wholesale because I sell them on but you can also get them from various needlework shops.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page