I have the floss, pattern coming how would it look...

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

JenniferT

I have the floss, pattern coming how would it look...

Post by JenniferT »

On a hand dyed fabric? I don't want to do it on solid black, but I do want something dark/nearly black.

http://www.twdesignworks.com/Designs/uni_l.html" target="_blank" target="_blank

Peace out, Stitches!!

My WIP album

In the queue:
Fall Fairy and Woodland Enchantress, both Dimensions kits
Summer Tree Fairy ( not what I expected :x )
Woodland Faerie - Teresa Wenztler
Mabel Figworthy

Re: I have the floss, pattern coming how would it look...

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

What a pretty unicorn! It would need something pretty dark, possibly a purply black? I think Kate at Sparklies does some quite dark shades, and her fabrics are great!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

A very dark blue almost black? Kind of like a very dark night sky? I'm not sure that would make much of a difference, though.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
xstitchalanna

Post by xstitchalanna »

For sure on a darker hand dyed, like black and dark grey. It will look fabulous! :whoop:
Working on QS Phantom of the Opera from HAED for their challenge #4
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

What a lovely design that is for sure. I agree it does need a darker fabric.

May I suggest you have a look at Picture This Plus for fabric or 123 stitch. If you email PTP with a picture they will help you find the right fabric. I have done that when I was trying to choose between two different patterns and I was sent an email with the chart picture on both pieces of fabric and chose the one I liked best. Not sure if 123stitch does that but I do know that Sewandso in the UK has an app in their fabric section which allows you to do this with different fabrics. It is lots of fun. Oh yes and Chromatic Alchemy in the UK also does that too.

Have fun choosing your fabric
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

Nice design and yes, it would look great on a hand dyed fabric that is dark in coloration!!!
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

Allyn

Post by Allyn »

I'm going to be the odd man out here. Since you asked, I think a black, solid background works best on this design. Having done a lot of her designs, I know what the picture looks like compared to how it looks in person. Pictures never do TW designs justice. I've done this design. It's stunning in person. There are a lot of subtle things going on in the design that will get lost if you try to do it on anything other than a solid black fabric, and especially on a hand-dyed fabric that has its own subtle things going on. If the fabric is busy, the beauty of the design will get lost. That's my opinion.

Look very closely at the picture. None of the black in that design is stitched, so all the spaces between the leaves in the trees, the paving stones on the ground, the stones in the wall, and the grasses is unstitched. The solid black fabric is part of the design. If you stitch it on another color fabric -- say dark blue -- all those spaces will be blue. If you stitch it on a hand dyed, all those spaces will have variations of color that will blur the edges of the stitched areas, muddying up the gaps. If you do it on a dark blue and stitch the gaps in black, you'll lose that almost 3D quality that having the unstitched spaces give it.

But I will support whatever you decide to do. :)

WIP
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

I am tempted to go with Allyn. It is a huge amount of the design that you'd be changing by altering the fabric colour. I'd need to do a mock-up in a photo editor package first to verify the change.

One thing it might be worth asking is what is the problem you have with black fabric? Half of my completed projects are on black (check my gallery, 'Contemplation', 'Early Morning Light', 'Portrait 1' and 'Honeymoon Portrait') and only the first one was a real problem: Then I got a head torch. Having focussed the light where I was working it became possible to see exactly what I was doing, and black became as easy(!) as lighter colours. In fact, the head torch helps with low contrast threads against the fabric whether they are dark threads on black or light threads on white.

Regards,

Richard
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
kingfisher68

Post by kingfisher68 »

Great design. I was going to say dark blue & dark purple but on reading Allyn post & Richard's post I can comprehend why you need black as on the chart.

Thank you for asking this question JenniferT as when I was reading their reasons why you need black or v dark when on a chart or in a kit it made me realise the black & navy blue fabric ones I have need to be done on the specified colours whereas I was thinking of doing it differently. When I used to do tapestry years ago of course ALL stitches were worked whatever the colour so I did not realise that black/dark background when unworked adds depth.

Look forward to seeing it when you start
Izzi

Believe you can & you will

WIP
DMC Pleasant Row Cottages
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

kingfisher68 wrote:...Thank you for asking this question JenniferT as when I was reading their reasons why you need black or v dark when on a chart or in a kit it made me realise the black & navy blue fabric ones I have need to be done on the specified colours whereas I was thinking of doing it differently. When I used to do tapestry years ago of course ALL stitches were worked whatever the colour so I did not realise that black/dark background when unworked adds depth....
Let me just add that I don't want to discourage anyone from thinking creatively. I've seen folks pick a different fabric for a design or change the colors and the result was beautiful -- even better than the designer's model. I've also seen folks change the fabric and/or colors and just squash what should have been a lovely result. Each design needs to be evaluated individually. It is my opinion -- both from familiarity with the designer's work and from having stitched it myself -- that solid black fabric is a critical component of this design. Don't be put off of exploring creative options on your projects. :)

WIP
kingfisher68

Post by kingfisher68 »

Thanks for clarifying this Allyn.

I had thought of using white fabric & stitching the black or navy blue backgrounds to make it easier on my eyes although I do have good magnifier & lamps. When I had my eyes tested in July my eye pressure was a little higher than it should have been & I had noticed for several days I had sore eyes after cross stitching. Probably my own fault as using 14 count I tend not to use magnifier. Only use it for 16 & 18 count - must rethink but the medication I am on does affect my vision slightly some days. Been OK on the cottage project without magnifier so far.

I have 2 pretty Aida colours in my stash for 2 charts I've got. Blue marble for Water Goddess & yellow marble for cheetah mum & cubs. Oh, pale green I bought for large geisha I got from Ebay. I bought chart & threads , no fabric was included, so bought some ready for when I get round to doing it. Those were recommended & I am sure they wil be great on those colours.

Always grateful to hear others opinions on things though :)
Izzi

Believe you can & you will

WIP
DMC Pleasant Row Cottages
JenniferT

Post by JenniferT »

Because there isn't any back stitching, I think solid black is going to be the best bet.

I'll have to find another project to use a dyed fabric on. 8)
Peace out, Stitches!!

My WIP album

In the queue:
Fall Fairy and Woodland Enchantress, both Dimensions kits
Summer Tree Fairy ( not what I expected :x )
Woodland Faerie - Teresa Wenztler