Disney Star Wars Cross Stitch SAL

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

karen4bells

Disney Star Wars Cross Stitch SAL

Post by karen4bells »

I'm going to open up this topic and anyone who wants to join in is more than welcome to This is for any of the designs from this kit

Here is a link to what the outer box looks like
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/star-wa ... 1603803861

I am currently working on BB8-- who happens to be my favorite of the ones offered---I'll likely be doing it 2 times, as I know my younger son would like one as well. I am stitching this on 32 count linen from Hand Dyed by Stephanie, the color is called Summer Breeze. I've adapted the orange coloration--and did a bit of tweaking to the "eye" I wanted it to appear more like a lens so I added kreinik blending filament to give it a little sparkle

I know Carole will be joining in, as I 'encouraged' her by tempting her with pics of some of the designs that are in the booklet. :lol:
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

rcperryls

Re: Disney Star Wars Cross Stitch SAL

Post by rcperryls »

My book is supposed to be in the mail today. That's when I will get started on my BB8. You have already made wonderful progress. I also plan on using 28 count fabric or 25 depending on the color of the fabric I choose. What color did you decide on for the orange. And I love the idea of adding some kreinik to his "eye".
As I said earlier, you did more than just sending me pictures. Links to two suppliers showed up in an email I received. So I will be joining you in this SAL soon.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
fccs

Post by fccs »

What are you trying to do to me???? Okay, so I just placed an order with B&N to pick it up in the store here in town. I should get an email soon saying it's ready - I guess that means I have to get dressed today.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
xstitchalanna

Post by xstitchalanna »

Ahh!So cute!
Working on QS Phantom of the Opera from HAED for their challenge #4
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

fccs wrote:What are you trying to do to me???? Okay, so I just placed an order with B&N to pick it up in the store here in town. I should get an email soon saying it's ready - I guess that means I have to get dressed today.
The more the merrier Debby!! I somehow knew you couldn't resist :lol:

Carole, so far I am using GAST's tomato for the O symbol and handdyedfiber's Knickerbocker for the t symbol. Oh, also subbing in dinky dye's stormy sky for the g symbol. For the eye, I have opted to sub in dmc 666 for the 2 symbol and kreinik silk 1116 for the r symbol. Both the 2 and r were blended with kreinik 003 HL blending filament.
I just wanted it to look more like the movie robot than the toy
Work in Progress
Various small designs

rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I had a feeling that Debby was going to join. YAY!! I am thinking that after I look,through my stash I might have to order,some threads because,I also,want it to look like,the "real" BB8 and the other characters,as,well. Looks,like,I'm going to have fun with my stash this afternoon. Mail come late to my house, which is rarely a problem but I'm getting antsy now. Next to stitching, getting ready to stitch is my next favorite pastime.

Debby, can't wait to see what you will stitch from the book!

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
fccs

Post by fccs »

rcperryls wrote:I had a feeling that Debby was going to join. YAY!!

Debby, can't wait to see what you will stitch from the book!

Carole
I just got an email from B&N that the book is ready for pick up. So, I'm about to head out on this chilly day (about 33 degrees right now).

And can you believe it? I totally forgot that Hobby Lobby called a couple days ago to tell me my framing is done. In my defense, I came home from Oregon with a terrible cold, feeling like cr*p, so I've been concentrating on trying to kick this and sleep as much as possible. I've only picked up a needle once in the past four days, and that was for about 20 minutes.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

Lol Carole, I know what you mean!! I am just glad I went ahead and scanned all of the charts at one time when it first got here!! I hated doing that but it didn't muck up the book spine as bad as I feared iit may! Now I am able to print off what I need, when I want to, and can enlarge them as needed--love my flatbed scanner! And Debby, I bet you will end up doing BB8 first too :lol: My thread stash is definitely being put to good use now, I love playing with my stash!!
Dress warmly Debby, hope you feel better soon
Work in Progress
Various small designs

Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

You have made good progress with your speedy needle Karen and it definitely is colourful. A lovely update.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I just scanned in BB8 and was surprised how clear it was. Now I have it on my iPad which is what I have started using more often than paper copies. Also printed some photos of the movie BB8 and have surrounded myself with all my specialty (non DMC threads), mostly WDWs since I had this Lizzie Kate kits (I don't think of them that way, but that is what they are) that I never stitched and have all kinds of beautiful threads.

Found some light blue Jobelan 28 ct fabric which I'm going to to use. And then once I decide on my colors (will use some DMC I'm sure) I'll get started. I almost thought of waiting till I finished my HAED, but once the book came (also soft cover and no hoop, both of which are okay but I am thinking that Amazon needs to know that there description is wrong. Will probably let them know tomorrow. Too busy right now!!

Feel better soon Debby. Colds are not fun at all.

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

Yes, it does sound exactly like my kit, amazon is so confusing but it's still a great kit!!! I love your idea of sorting out threads---I must have frogged the orange in his head 3 times until I got it just right!! Good luck and I do so look forward to seeing your progress!!
Work in Progress
Various small designs

rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

feels like it took me forever last night to decide on what shades of colors, especially orange, to use. The suggested oranges all seemed way too bright and this seemed like such a good opportunity to use some of my other threads. I kept DMC for the grays and the reds (since there are so few stitches of red and I didn't have anything better) Otherwise I'm using WDW Whitewash, Pumpkin,Carrot and Cockwork for the oranges and GAST Black Crow and Liberty for pewter. If they don't look right, I'll switch them out too. The Carrot is a little bit variegated so I'm not sure about it. Really looking forward to getting started today.

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

rcperryls wrote:feels like it took me forever last night to decide on what shades of colors, especially orange, to use. The suggested oranges all seemed way too bright and this seemed like such a good opportunity to use some of my other threads. I kept DMC for the grays and the reds (since there are so few stitches of red and I didn't have anything better) Otherwise I'm using WDW Whitewash, Pumpkin,Carrot and Clockwork for the oranges and GAST Black Crow and Liberty for pewter. If they don't look right, I'll switch them out too. The Carrot is a little bit variegated so I'm not sure about it. Really looking forward to getting started today.

Carole
It sounds like you think a LOT like I do on this one, Carole!! I ended up switching out the orange tones as well as the pewter tones more than one time! As for the black stripe near the base of his head, I ended up using the color I used for the"d" symbol which I had changed to 317 I am looking forward to seeing your first picture!!

Debby, have you sorted yours out yet? :)
Work in Progress
Various small designs

fccs

Post by fccs »

karen4bells wrote:
Not yet - haven't decided on which to do. Obviously I want to do BB8, but I'm not sure I can be as creative as you two are with the colors. Scanning the charts is on my to do list today.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

fccs wrote:
karen4bells wrote:
Not yet - haven't decided on which to do. Obviously I want to do BB8, but I'm not sure I can be as creative as you two are with the colors. Scanning the charts is on my to do list today.
I'm sure that you can be just as creative, it's just a matter of trial and error!! I stitched the oranges and frogged them like 3 times before I was happy with the threads being used and like two times for some of the grey/pewter tones! Glad I have a nice thread stash to draw from
Work in Progress
Various small designs

rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I will try and post a picture tomorrow of my progress. Right now I am getting back in the mode of 2 over 2 instead of 1 over 1 and have to do some frogging and restitching when I get messed up. Usually takes a day or two. I think the directions are generally useless and could be very confusing to a new stitcher. I do know that this is the first book of charts I have ever seen that told you to tie a small knot in one end of the two strands. Looking forward to seeing Karen's update and Debby's start!

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

rcperryls wrote:I will try and post a picture tomorrow of my progress. Right now I am getting back in the mode of 2 over 2 instead of 1 over 1 and have to do some frogging and restitching when I get messed up. Usually takes a day or two. I think the directions are generally useless and could be very confusing to a new stitcher. I do know that this is the first book of charts I have ever seen that told you to tie a small knot in one end of the two strands. Looking forward to seeing Karen's update and Debby's start!

Carole
I hadn't even read the directions so I had missed the part about the knot :doh: wow, they really could have done a much better job of explaining things--and definitely should have made the book a larger size, like 8x11 or so!! I hope you don't have too much trouble with :ribbit: , Carole!!
Work in Progress
Various small designs

Lulu22

Post by Lulu22 »

I love Star Wars if I was doing it I'd start with BB8, you've made a great start :applesauce:
WIPS
Snow
Gamer Nouveau
Clara
Meadow
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

This is as far as I got last night.
It wasn't the orange that caused me problems, though I would love to hear feedback if the colors look like BB8 in the movie, but the white on right side of the helmet. I couldn't get the count right for some reason (maybe that switch to 2 over 2 was trickier than I thought it might be), but that is worked out now, so it should go fairly quickly I think. Then I can finish my pirate cat and work on a few other HAEDs and some Hardanger for coasters as well! And then who knows what else I might get dragged into around here :roll: Always something fun and exciting! And of course R2D2 will be waiting and I think maybe Darth Vader. Then I'll have to go find C3PO, Kylo Ren, Han Solo.........

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
fccs

Post by fccs »

Nice start!!

I'm pretty sure what I'm going to stitch, but I have to pick a fabric before I make my final decision. Stay tuned. :-)
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends