Skeleton with a Burning Cigarette,(2/3/17 Update pg. 2)

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

RosemaryD

Re: Skeleton with a Burning Cigarette, 18ct Aida, 3over 1

Post by RosemaryD »

Mad Max wrote:
I believe the lines on the front are not really due to the individual stitch tension but more to do with the uniform direction of the tension.
Yes completely agree, I think this is the root cause on my other projects with more flexible/deformable fabric.
Mad Max wrote:Have you worked on any other fabric besides Aida? For my next project I want to move up to 22ct but I'm not sure which brand of fabric to use.
My other 3 projects are on 32ct and 28ct Lugana (both 1 over 1) and 22ct Ariosa (2 over 1). I like 28ct the best, 32ct is a bit tight for confetti areas, and the Ariosa has rather thick threads so again a bit tight for 2 over 1. Wouldn't really recommend the Ariosa and it sounds like 22ct Hardanger fabric is better. Definitely prefer evenweaves to Aida.

I use the Scarlet Quince parking method that BizzieLizzie has mentioned so fitting in single stitches in already-stitched areas is not an issue but have reverted to cross-country for the Aida project. I used to cross-country everything until I started large projects with lots of confetti and many different colours as it was just too tight and horrendously messy on the back especially for starting/finishing.

I'm sure someone else has suggested this but if possible get a couple of fabrics and try out both areas of solid colour and confetti to see how it is to stitch and check you're happy with the coverage. Worth it to avoid restarting or hating it!
Rosemary

WIPs
Blue Moon - Andy Russell
The Shore of the Turquoise Sea - Albert Bierstadt
Arabian Walled Garden - Chatelaine
Mad Max

Post by Mad Max »

sarclanat wrote:This is looking really good
Thank you Sally!
:wip:
Skull of a Skeleton with a Burning Cigarette, Van Gogh, 18ct Aida, 3 over 1.Image
Mad Max

Post by Mad Max »

rcperryls wrote:
Mad Max wrote:Have you worked on 25ct Lugana since that project?
Oh yes. I have several projects that I am stitching on 25ct Lugana, 1 over 1. I also like Jobelan and Linen for some projects. My favorite however, for most of my large projects (HAED designs generally) is 2 over 1 on 28ct Lugana. That gives me good coverage and goes faster. What is most important is that you find what you are most comfortable with.

Carole
:dance:
Thank you Carole! I think I will experiment with Hardanger and Lugana fabrics for my next project. I'm not sure what count though. 28ct sounds super small. Do you have to use a magnifying glass?
Skull of a Skeleton with a Burning Cigarette, Van Gogh, 18ct Aida, 3 over 1.Image
Mad Max

Post by Mad Max »

RosemaryD wrote:
Mad Max wrote:
I believe the lines on the front are not really due to the individual stitch tension but more to do with the uniform direction of the tension.
Yes completely agree, I think this is the root cause on my other projects with more flexible/deformable fabric.
Mad Max wrote:Have you worked on any other fabric besides Aida? For my next project I want to move up to 22ct but I'm not sure which brand of fabric to use.
My other 3 projects are on 32ct and 28ct Lugana (both 1 over 1) and 22ct Ariosa (2 over 1). I like 28ct the best, 32ct is a bit tight for confetti areas, and the Ariosa has rather thick threads so again a bit tight for 2 over 1. Wouldn't really recommend the Ariosa and it sounds like 22ct Hardanger fabric is better. Definitely prefer evenweaves to Aida.

I use the Scarlet Quince parking method that BizzieLizzie has mentioned so fitting in single stitches in already-stitched areas is not an issue but have reverted to cross-country for the Aida project. I used to cross-country everything until I started large projects with lots of confetti and many different colours as it was just too tight and horrendously messy on the back especially for starting/finishing.

I'm sure someone else has suggested this but if possible get a couple of fabrics and try out both areas of solid colour and confetti to see how it is to stitch and check you're happy with the coverage. Worth it to avoid restarting or hating it!
Thank you Rosemary! I agree that going cross-country where there is a lot of confetti can make things messy. I do use a lot of thread conditioner like Thread Heaven or Thread Magic to make things easier with the tight spots. Some other stitchers have also said 28ct is their favorite. Do you use a magnifying glass? Why do you like evenweave more than Aida? Aren't they essentially the same thing? I think I will definitely experiment with a few different kinds of cloth and counts before my next project. :) :) :)
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

I do 28ct, but don't use a magnifier. Instead, being very short sighted, I remove my glasses & stitch 6" from my nose. That's close enough to see everything.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
CavyMom

Post by CavyMom »

You're making great progress! Looking forward to seeing it come along.
richardandtracy wrote: Instead, being very short sighted, I remove my glasses & stitch 6" from my nose. That's close enough to see everything.
I can relate to that. Optometrist suggested I should stitch without my glasses sometimes. I can see to stitch but I can't see the chart and have to keep moving it! And a magnifier seems to mess with my hand eye coordination. Can't win!
WIPs
Rocky Point
Frosty Snowman
Living Ocean
Faith ornament
Ajay

Post by Ajay »

Can't wait to see an update, looks really cool so far.
If anyone uses Whatsapp, pm me to connect.

WIP
Woodland Enchantress-----She's not talking to me
Frederick The Literate-----I have upset this cat somehow
Jolly Trio Stocking-----Not ready to think of the C word yet
Frosted Pumpkin MSAL 2017
RosemaryD

Post by RosemaryD »

Mad Max wrote:Do you use a magnifying glass? Why do you like evenweave more than Aida? Aren't they essentially the same thing?
I don't use a magnifier - not quite reached the age where close focussing gets harder!

You're right, Aida is a type of evenweave but the stitching holes are created by bunching threads together as the fabric is woven rather than using the holes between individual threads as in Lugana, Jobelan etc. I prefer the latter as I like to have as full coverage as possible and I like larger projects not to be absolutely massive, hence stitching over one on high count fabric. As Aida is generally of lower count I find you can often see individual stitches as distinct cross-shapes and getting full coverage can be harder. The main reason is size; the pointers picture I'm doing for someone else at the moment is on 14ct, 266x200 stitches and will be approx 19x15 inches when finished. My next smallest project is 400x400 stitches... not sure I have a wall big enough!

On the other hand it's easier to see the holes using Aida and stitching over 2 on evenweave it can be easy to miscount by half a stitch (i.e. one hole). It's a matter of personal preference and can change for different projects. :D
Rosemary

WIPs
Blue Moon - Andy Russell
The Shore of the Turquoise Sea - Albert Bierstadt
Arabian Walled Garden - Chatelaine
MrsMoV

Post by MrsMoV »

Looking forward to seeing this one grow

MM x
WIP - Dachshund
WIP - HAED The Zodiac 1.
UFO - Dimensions Eagles Eye View
Mad Max

Post by Mad Max »

MrsMoV wrote:Looking forward to seeing this one grow

MM x
Thank you MM!
Mad Max

Post by Mad Max »

Hi All,

Just finished top row and page 5 out of 30. I am very pleased how the cross country-method has stopped the checkerboard effect and how smooth the finish is. I am looking forward to getting into the nitty-gritty of the skull. The black/brown background took fooooorrrreeeevvvver.

-C

Purple Patsy

Re: Skeleton with a Burning Cigarette,(2/3/17 Update pg. 2)

Post by Purple Patsy »

I see what you mean about the difference between columns and cross country. That is a lot of dark stitching. But it looks so effective and very well stitched. The skul part looks like it will be much more interesting.

Looking forward to the next update. :D
WIPs
The Astronomer (HaED)
Gamer Nouveau (Gecko Rouge)
Woodland Enchantress (Dimensions)
Sagi No Mai (Maia)

Finishes on forum
Starry Night with TARDIS 12 Aug 2016 -27 June 2017
Royal Holiday
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

Congrats on finishing the top row!! What an accomplishment!!! :applesauce: :applesauce:
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

vanessanjf

Post by vanessanjf »

Congratulations on completing a row. It definitely looks better with the cross country :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:
Vanessa

A little progress every day adds up to big results

WIP
The adoration of the kings- Golden kite completed
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: Congratulations on finishing the top row! That is such a great feeling. It looks beautiful. Looking forward to more updates and seeing more of the skull!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
AlwaysGoofy

Post by AlwaysGoofy »

Congratulations on finishing that first row. It's coming along nicely. I tried stitching in "columns" once before and also disliked the effect that happened. I still stitch in columns, but I just finish a color all the way across a row instead of stopping at the end of the column (if that makes sense). I find it isn't as bulky as cross-country stitching, but gets rid of that grid effect.

I'm looking forward to more updates. :D
AlwaysGoofy's Blog with Cross Stitching, Quilting, and My Love of All Things Disney: http://goofinoffaroundtheblock.blogspot.com/
kingfisher68

Post by kingfisher68 »

Sorry but can't see photos as the moment but from comments I am looking forward to seeing it another day. I/net seems to have blips at the moment, very spasmodic at times. :(
Izzi

Believe you can & you will

WIP
DMC Pleasant Row Cottages
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

Coming on nicely.

I confess I am still amazed Van Gogh had a sense of humour.

Regards,

Richard
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation