Karasu's SAL. Next up, ToG masterpiece

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

x.karasu.x

Karasu's SAL. Next up, ToG masterpiece

Post by x.karasu.x »

I got my first kit through, it's beautiful and I'm so glad I got it.
So far I've only managed to beat the aida into submission and get it on the hoop (am I needing a better hoop ? Is there like a special one for this suff cus darn it was hard work), but here's pics of the kit. It's from Bluebell Threads, and already I'm looking at getting another from them.

And apologies for just the links, I'll work out how to get pics to a decent size so I can put them in the post when I get to a laptop.

Wish me luck !
Last edited by x.karasu.x on Tue May 09, 2017 12:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
richardandtracy

Re: Karasu's SAL. First up, Frozen !

Post by richardandtracy »

Good luck! I wish you all the best with it. Should be good.

With images, they can be shown in the thread by clicking on the contents of the Photobucket 'IMG' address box and then pasting into the Forum edit box when composing a post. I tend to delete everything outside the ['IMG'] wrapper as that forms a hyperlink to Photobucket, which I'm not sure anyone else needs.

As for the hoop - I confess I cannot answer as I have only used a scroll frame. However there don't seem to be special ones for Aida cloth, so I'd be surprised if it's not normal.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
x.karasu.x

Post by x.karasu.x »

Thank you !
I'll keep powe ring on with my hoop until I get a bigger project then, it should be fine for something this small since thankfully I don't have to move it much.
And thanks for the image help, I'll fix that up in a sec !
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

:applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: What a beautiful project!!! As for the aida---some of the aida that is provided in kits can be difficult to put on a hoop---my only suggestion is to try and fiddle with it a bit---sort of bend/fold the aida a bit before trying to put it in the hoop---that may soften it up enough to make it easier to get onto that hoop
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

What an interesting design you have chosen to stitch and it will be fun to watch it grow. Aida when it is stiff is a pain to manage and at times I have soaked it in warm water for about 5 min or so and then spread it out flat to dry which does make it a bit easier to handle. :D
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

That is going to be a lovely and fun piece to stitch. I don't stitch with Aida much anymore, but remember that while hard to get in the hoop at first, with time it softened up and was very easy to stitch on.

When I post a picture from Photobucket, I click on the IMG thumb link (if you click on the box on the right of the picture it will automatically copy the link) and post it. Then if a forum member clicks on the picture it will connect them to Photobucket for the full sized picture. Depending on the piece, I like to enlarge it, especially for projects that use specialty stitches. There are a variety of settings you can make on Photobucket. A lot of us use it so if you have any questions just ask.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
lavenderbee

Post by lavenderbee »

That's a lovely kit & look forward to seeing it on here as you work it. No I have trouble getting the material Aida into hoops too. Tried doing an alternative way I have seen suggested but no good either, just perseverance I'm afraid unless anyone else has any tips.

The Overlook Café one has come out of the hoop several times when I'm stitching, not had that problem before but think it is because sometimes it is hard to get the needle through as I have different numbers of threads - sometimes having 3 or 4 strands & it is hard not to put pressure on the hoop when placing stitches. That's my reasoning al tho I could be wrong but I've not had this problem before & neither have I done a x-stitch with as many variations in it as the Overlook Café one. Usual amount for me has been 2 threads at a time.

Look forward to seeing this kit stitched :D
lavenderbee :-)

stitching is beewitching

Things only become problems if you let them
x.karasu.x

Post by x.karasu.x »

I'm so glad it's not just me ! It has been getting looser as I've been working on it, mostly the corner I keep hitting with my wrist though.
So far I've put about 6 hours into it....I marked every 10 stitches so I could see where I'm going as I know I'm out of practise. The red ones are the centre marks and I've only fully done the sections for page one. I just really wanted to get started.

So here it is, 6 hours in.

I'm getting a bit quicker as I go on with it, and I'm glad my stitches are neat xD
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

:applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: Looking good!!
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

sina28

Post by sina28 »

What a nice project, and your stitching indeed looks very neat! I am looking forward to more progress on this.
Sina
x.karasu.x

Post by x.karasu.x »

Hit the 13 hour mark....

Pretty pleased with my work since it's been around 21 years since Nan taught me. Though I'm not sure how well my thread consumption is going. Might have to get more towards the end of this but I guess that's a long way off yet xD
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: I think you are making great progress. Your Nan must have been a great teacher!

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
x.karasu.x

Post by x.karasu.x »

Thank you !
She was such a great teacher, I learned how to knit, cross stitch and sew from her. Every weekend we'd work on something together. She's the reason I ended up doing textiles at school and can now make my own clothes. I even picked up her "sewing in the kitchen at 3am" habit lol.

So here's the 22.5 hour mark :

Blending colours is a bit tricker than vastly different ones.
Lulu22

Post by Lulu22 »

Lovely project and you are making great progress, I'm looking forward to updates :applesauce:
WIPS
Snow
Gamer Nouveau
Clara
Meadow
mysterystitcher

Post by mysterystitcher »

It's beautiful.
Best: MysteryStitcher

My needlepoint blog: http://mysteriousstitching.blogspot.com

My knitting blog: https://mysteriousknitting.blogspot.com
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: Lovely progress! I love the soft colors!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
richardandtracy

You're doing a mighty fine job there. The shading is excellent and you are fast.

Regards,

Richard
dawn0621

Post by dawn0621 »

The Italian Vista project I'm stitching came with aida. I use qnaps and don't have much trouble getting the stiff fabric into it. Might want to try that.
Dawn
:wip:
Italian Vista
HAEDs - Autumn, Come Together, Sunflower Bee, I Put a Spell on You
Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy
I Believe in Santa
Autumn Leaves Bookmark
Autumn from Etsy

Finished ~Hummingbirds

sleeplessstitcher916 on Instagram
x.karasu.x

Post by x.karasu.x »

I have officially lost count of the hours lol.
It's looking....odd. For some reason Anna's face is done in terracotta and her hair is now mauve.
I'm not sure how well this will turn out, the colour choices are bizarre and it doesn't look like the "finished" image on the pack front.

I may well go back when this is done and try make my own chart for it as the picture itself is really nice. Still, at least I know I can do this, and it's been good practice.

richardandtracy

You are right, it's looking a bit odd.
It may come together in the end, as pictures can look very different in the intermediate stage, but I agree the face isn't really what you'd expect at this stage.
My suggestion is keep with it for the moment & see if it comes right. If it doesn't, possibly re-chart it yourself.

Regards,

Richard