Flower of the Month project

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

Nicola Main

Flower of the Month project

Post by Nicola Main »

I stumbled upon these designs quite by accident and have completely fallen in love with them! I plan on stitching all twelve and making them into a calendar. Not quite sure how it's all going to work just yet but I'll cross over that bridge when I get to it :roll:

I'm using my new Elbesee frame which arrived today which will be the perfect size for these! My own DMC threads out of my stash and a piece of the beautiful Lakeside Needlecraft's Lilac Sky evenweave which I just adore! (Will definitely be ordering more of this!) and Mabel's scissors are never far away! :wink: Really looking forward to doing this project as an aside to my Bothy Threads Wrendales and I can take them to my friends house as they will be small enough for taking on train etc

For the month of January we have the beautiful Carnation! Have already started the first nine stitches :dance:

Will keep you updated as I go along :wub:
Last edited by Nicola Main on Fri May 11, 2018 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Work in Progress
Rachel Froud 'Highlander'
Mabel Figworthy

Re: Flowers of the Month project

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

A beautiful multi-project - enjoy!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

Looks good. I look forward to seeing them as they come on.

And for May, it's 'Lily of the Valley'. That's special. Our house was called 'Lily of the Valley Villa' when built in 1896. It's carved into a stone in the side of the house - but obviously proved a mouthful/too long on an envelope. By the 1911 census the house was called by its present , much shorter, name. Our front garden (all 6ft depth) is infested with Lily of the Valley too. We always wonder if they are descendants of plants originally planted after building the place.

Regards

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
poppy

Post by poppy »

What a lovely project, Nicola! :D You can take your time over it as it is divided in 12 projects.
I like your new frame too.

Richard, it must smell so lovely when you open your front door with all the Lily of the valley.
On the 1st of May in France, everyone gives a little bit of Lily of The Valley to each other for good luck. It is always a Bank Holiday too.
Hélène

Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace

Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Hélène, is your avatar the lily-of-the-valley flower fairy by Cicely Mary Barker? It definitely reminds me of that.
There's a single l-of-the-v in our garden at the moment, and I have no idea how it got there. Don't you just love it when flowers do exactly as they please :-) ?
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Nicola Main

Post by Nicola Main »

Richard - What a lovely story! And yes I think you're right about the Lily of the Valley in the garden! Undoubtedly from the original plants! :)

Hélène - Yes they are brilliant little projects to do inbetween my larger works! What a lovely tradition in France! :wub:

Mabel - Flowers are just beautiful and yes, even though they are stationary, they can through a few surprises :D
Work in Progress
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

A lovely idea Nicola and you have made a start too which is but a smidgen of what is to come. Love them all but Lily of the Valley (or Ladders to Heaven as they are sometimes called) are my favourite flower next to the rose.

Richard, you can't kill Lily of the Valley. One old house we lived in had a dirt floor harder than concrete and every year up they came through it - much to my dad's annoyance as Mum forbade him to drive over them until the flowers had finished. :)

Nicole I have a hazy memory of someone on here doing a book or calendar using flowers - it was a few years back though.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

I would make a sort of a "book" and turn the "pages" like we do with those large illustrated calendars that go up the wall.
Lyudmila
Nicola Main

Post by Nicola Main »

Lyudmila - Yes that's what I was thinking. Here's a photo I've grabbed off Google to show as an example. I had an idea to have the triangular shaped stand with the months on one side and I could easily put the cross stitches on card and then punch holes along the top of the card (I have a hole puncher machine) and then they would be able to flip over. Still not 100% on design and would need to get proper nice paper to print it off unless I bought one and then customised it to my own design :wink:

Sally - I will have a browse and see if I can find it :)

Work in Progress
mayflowers

Post by mayflowers »

fablous flower project. Will be lovely seeing you work this. So colourful & bright
Blossom :)
Podolyanka

Re: Flower of the Month project

Post by Podolyanka »

I was talking about the wall version, not the desk one. But this looks even better as the designs are not large.
Lyudmila
poppy

Post by poppy »

Mabel Figworthy wrote:Hélène, is your avatar the lily-of-the-valley flower fairy by Cicely Mary Barker? It definitely reminds me of that.
Yes, well spotted, Mabel! :applesauce:
My husband went on a business trip, years ago, and brought the kit back for me as a present, as my Birthday is the 1st of May :D
Hélène

Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace

Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

poppy wrote:...
Richard, it must smell so lovely when you open your front door with all the Lily of the valley...
I wish I could confirm it. Unfortunately my nose doesn't really work very well and I can only smell a soapy smell when I get to a range of 3". I can smell Lilac, and we are planting one near a window so I have a chance of smelling something nice at this time of years. There are some perfumes I can smell easily, 'Silage' is one. I simply can't predict what my nose will be able to smell from one day to the next.
Tracy, my wife, loves the LotV, though.

Regards

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Garnet

Post by Garnet »

Oohhh they are lovely Nicola, they will work beautifully as a calendar. I have a set of similar flowers (just can't remember now the make without hauling out my stash) that eventually I would like to make into an Afghan.

I have just planted some Lily of the Valley bulbs in a large planter, I miss the ones I had in my previous home (along with snowdrops and bluebells) and they are already showing , my hope is they can't spread if they are in a planter. Lily of the Valley does smell divine, but I have never found a perfume that is a close enough match.
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

What a lovely project that is going to be! I have done two afghans with flowers as the focus and really enjoyed the stitching. A calendar is a great idea and I can't wait to see what you decide on!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
kingfisher2

Post by kingfisher2 »

Ooohh very pretty & colourful. Look forward to seeing your work this one :D
Izzi

If you believe you can you will
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Maureen, Lily of the Valley is my 'signature perfume' and the closest brand is a French one (name has gone out of my sieve of a head) I have it Diorisama by Dior. My Swiss penfriend bought me a bottle of it years ago and I loved it. I did buy one when I was in Switzerland years ago and latterly if anyone is going overseas I give them some money to buy it for me from the Duty Free shops. :)
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
sina28

Post by sina28 »

This is going to be such a lovely project Nicola!
As you know I love flowers and now I'm quite tempted :tizzy: but I think I'll leave them for later.
These designs are by Ellen Maurer Stroh, aren't they? I think I've seen them before somewhere.
Also I really like your new frame, looks like the perfect size for smaller projects.
Sina
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

I am so lucky! Why? Well the daffodil was sent to me as part of the Spring Exchange!! :wub: :wub: :wub:

I love those flower designs!! :applesauce: :applesauce: