Redo: Color of the Wolf (14May Update)

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

Allyn

Redo: Color of the Wolf (14May Update)

Post by Allyn »

I've been working away on my redo of Color of the Wolf. I was very disappointed with the original chart and even though I was halfway done, I couldn't continue with it. Luckily for me, I was already in contact with the artist to get permission for my next project. I recharted Color of the Wolf but before I started a SaL for it, I wanted to finish the top row of pages so there would be enough to start comparing.

Granted, my photography in a dimly lit room at night isn't the best, but so far, I am very pleased with the new chart. It'll be page 23 before I get to where I was with the old chart to make a real comparison, but so far, so good.

New chart:
(© Eran Fowler)
Stitch count: 385 x 571
214 colors to make 207 symbols (29 solids, 178 blends)
Top row of pages:

Old chart:
Stitch count: 250 x 360
68 solid colors
Top row of pages:
Last edited by Allyn on Mon May 14, 2018 6:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.

WIP
richardandtracy

Re: Redo: Color of the Wolf

Post by richardandtracy »

I am so glad the new chart is so close to the original picture. This should really pop when it is finished. Just really sorry you've had so much extra work getting a version of the picture you like.

Somewhat gruesome & very unusual. But, the more I see it, the more I like it.

All the best with it.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: I think this is going to be worth the trouble. The difference between the old and new chart is amazing, but not surprising when you consider the difference in number of colors and adding in the blended threads. You have made really good progress on your restart. Looking forward to lots more updates!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
fccs

Post by fccs »

What a difference! The new chart is so much better. I'm glad you decided to redo it - you'll be so much happier in the end. And you've already made lots of progress.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
AlwaysGoofy

Post by AlwaysGoofy »

The chart that you have redone is amazing. I've been charting a number of projects for myself. I haven't done any blended threads yet as I think they would drive me crazy. However, I have found using the full palette of DMC threads I come up with a pretty amazing likeness of the original image. It's so nice to have a forum where I can go to where people talk my language -- stitching language, that is. :D
AlwaysGoofy's Blog with Cross Stitching, Quilting, and My Love of All Things Disney: http://goofinoffaroundtheblock.blogspot.com/
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Oh good, I was wondering how your restart was going and am impressed with your new chart. That seems like a fairly high number of solid colors for what I usually get out of Richard's program. Did you just use the output as-is or merge some blends with solids that were a close match?
-Steve

Allyn

Post by Allyn »

Thank you all for your encouragement and thank you Richard for the program. :) My husband was wringing his hands a bit when I said I was going to start over, but he sees now that it was a good call.
SteveM wrote:Oh good, I was wondering how your restart was going and am impressed with your new chart. That seems like a fairly high number of solid colors for what I usually get out of Richard's program. Did you just use the output as-is or merge some blends with solids that were a close match?
I accepted the output. I didn't merge anything, not even single stitches so there are eight or ten symbols that appear less than five times in the whole chart. I'm okay with that. I would have been perfectly happy if all 200+ symbols were blends (I'm such a blend snob. :) ) I found that trying to merge things dulled the eyes ever so much and I want the green reflection of the retinas to be as bright as possible.

I might still tweak the eyes just a bit. At a glance, it looks like she is looking up, when in fact her eyes are looking straight at you. She sees you -- which just adds to the creepiness. :)

WIP
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Thank you for the details on the pattern making, it helps me know what to try when making my pattern.
-Steve

Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

What a difference in the two charts and good on you for going with the more closer to the original one. You certainly have made a great start on it too. Good luck with the rest of it. :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
lavenderbee

Post by lavenderbee »

Hope you enjoy doing this chart Allyn. :D
lavenderbee :-)

stitching is beewitching

Things only become problems if you let them
richardandtracy

Allyn wrote:... At a glance, it looks like she is looking up, when in fact her eyes are looking straight at you. She sees you -- which just adds to the creepiness. :)
Ahh I thought she was looking up & to the left of the picture too. Now that you mention it, I can see that she has a 'Green-eye' effect similar to that of a cat looking into a camera flash (where humans have red-eye). I wonder if an outline of the iris in a darker green back stitch would highlight it better?

Regards,

Richard.
RosemaryD

Post by RosemaryD »

Goodness your new chart is so much better! Seeing them together, I'm surprised you persevered as long you did with the old one - it was so bad! Not a criticism, it's just that the difference is astounding.

Good luck with the rest of it - I'm really interested to see how this turns out.
Rosemary

WIPs
Blue Moon - Andy Russell
The Shore of the Turquoise Sea - Albert Bierstadt
Arabian Walled Garden - Chatelaine
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

fccs wrote:What a difference! The new chart is so much better. I'm glad you decided to redo it - you'll be so much happier in the end. And you've already made lots of progress.
I agree!! The new charting has made a wonderful difference!!
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

Allyn

Post by Allyn »

This isn't exactly an update. A lot of life got in the way since I worked on this last. I lost my stitchy spot for a long time, which was the biggest obstacle to me stitching. So after a long hiatus, I started working on my project again. Everything was as I'd left it -- all the pages in progress were held to the fabric with magnets so all I had to do was pick up where I left off. I finished the current page and went to park the thread on the page below it....but....where was the next page? I hunted up and down and all around looking for the other 40-some pages of the 56-page chart and I can't find them. Now I'm thinking that I just printed the first couple of rows of pages from the PDF chart I created to see how things went before I printed everything. I just need to print more pages. Okay. . . . where's the PDF chart? It is on the computer that died over the summer. I checked all my backups. I have a gadzillion other charts backed up, but not this one. I'm trying not to panic. I have the hard drive out of that computer and I ordered a SATA docking station for it. (I have ATA external cases, but none for SATA drives.) It should be here Friday, so what I'm going to do is, I'm going to have a nice holiday tomorrow at my in-law's house and try not to think about what I'll do if I can't access the hard drive to get that file (and whatever else I forgot to backup).

So everybody have a nice holiday and please send me good thoughts through the stitchy-web-o-sphere that I can get into that old hard drive and get my chart.

WIP
SteveM

Re: Redo: Color of the Wolf (22Nov - Sort Of An Update)

Post by SteveM »

I'm so paranoid that I'll find myself needing a file off of an old hard drive that I have a box of them in the attic going back at least 20 years. Your external enclosure should work just fine to get your chart off of it so no worries there. Heck, I've got an old laptop that had the internal SATA controller die on it so I moved its drive into an external USB enclosure and picked up right where I left off.

Even if you had to make it over again, the output of Richard's program should be the same if you can remember to set everything exactly as before. You would then compare some pages in the first two rows to ensure that your recreation was correct. But you aren't going to need to do that.
-Steve

Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Firstup Allyn you have been missed on the Forum so it is good to see you posting again. However what a horror or a job you have now and I am sending you a :hug: and :x: that it all works great and the :horn: for letting us know you have got it all printed off.
Hang in there Allyn we are all cheering for you.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Welcome back Allyn :wave: ! Hope the old drive yields its chart; like Steve I am paranoid about my digital files (both stitchy and otherwise) so have about 4 backups of everything :roll: . And like you I still find that the backup I want is not there! (I lost a video clip of our beloved cat Alfie which I would really have loved to have after he had died :-( )
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
richardandtracy

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yikes. [To summarise!]

Not good. I do hope it all comes out well in the end. To have to do a third start would be just too much.

Crossing my fingers for you.

Richard.
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I hope you find your chart. It is so good to hear from you and I was so excited to see an update, until I read the update. I use an online backup service because I got concerned after we had to evacuate for a hurricane many years ago and realized that I wasn't going to be able to take all my photo albums with us. After I retired I scanned what seemed like a gazillion photos into the computer and besides my own back up disc have that also. I also learned from someone (either here or on the HAED Board) that a good backup is to email a copy of the pdf file to yourself if use gmail or hotmail or another email service. I do that for HAEDs. Not all of my other charts but for quite a few. I haven't had to use any of my backups because of a hard drive failure, but I did have to retrieve some after a cat walked on my keyboard and deleted all my bookmarks :tizzy:

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
fccs

Post by fccs »

It's so good to "see" you again. I really hope you find your chart. Please keep up posted.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends