Redo: Color of the Wolf (14May Update)

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

Allyn

Re: Redo: Color of the Wolf (22Nov - Sort Of An Update)

Post by Allyn »

Thank you all for your well wishes. I have been kinda lurking, reading more than posting, but posting here and there. It felt SO good to be stitching again, and then BAM!
SteveM wrote:I'm so paranoid that I'll find myself needing a file off of an old hard drive that I have a box of them in the attic going back at least 20 years. Your external enclosure should work just fine to get your chart off of it so no worries there. Heck, I've got an old laptop that had the internal SATA controller die on it so I moved its drive into an external USB enclosure and picked up right where I left off.

Even if you had to make it over again, the output of Richard's program should be the same if you can remember to set everything exactly as before. You would then compare some pages in the first two rows to ensure that your recreation was correct. But you aren't going to need to do that.
If something other than the hard drive itself failed. I am confident that I'll be able to get the files. I also save hard drives, some of them going back to when 20M was the "OMG-you'll-never-full-that-up" size, and many of them in external cases being used as backups attached to current computers. I have four other computers in the house, so when that one wouldn't boot up, I only gave it a half-hearted effort to find out why, thinking, of course, that I'd backed up everything important. (All the PDF charts I purchased, I have saved four times over in different backup storage locations. Charts I created for myself? not so much.) One saving grace is that I posted the picture I used to create the chart on the opening post here, so if I can't get to the chart, at least I have the image I used to create the chart. I'll have half a chance of the colors matching.

Anyway, I hope y'all had a nice day. Stay tuned for the conclusion of my chart drama, tomorrow evening with any luck.

WIP
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

I have my fingers crossed for you. The reason being the colours in that chart image on page 1 of this thread have changed a bit in the conversion to jpg, and are not identical to the floss colours. A PNG would have been a safer one to post to avoid a risk from this happening. However, hindsight always seems better than foresight.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

The FedEx man came. Problem solved. Many backups made. I'll give y'all a real update after few more completed pages.

WIP
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Yay!!!! :whoop: :whoop:
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
richardandtracy

That's such a relief. Maybe a paper copy is worth it, JIC?

Regards

Richard.
poppy

Post by poppy »

Looking forward to your next updates. :D
Hélène

Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace

Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

richardandtracy wrote:That's such a relief. Maybe a paper copy is worth it, JIC?
Well, it was an experiment at first, and I seem to recall I didn't want to waste 56 pieces of paper until I was sure it was a go. I only printed the first two rows. That was my only lament when I started this project over again, that I'd printed the entire chart (the original was only like 20 pages). Starting it over wasting fabric and floss? No problem, but the thought of wasting the 20 pieces of paper had me wringing my hands. :) Just one of my quirks, I guess. (And yes, those blank sides became grocery lists and scratch paper, but still.)

WIP
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

:whoop: :whoop: :whoop:
Back in action again!! :whoop: :whoop:
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

wendywombat wrote::whoop: :whoop: :whoop:
Back in action again!! :whoop: :whoop:
:whoop: YES!!!!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

Okay, really an update this time....but still nothing to see. :lol:

I wanted to finish pages 10 and 11 before I posted an update, but I ran out of a color I need for the hood. That's on its way so this is just more moon and sky. The camera doesn't blend the colors like the eye does, so I'm always disappointed that the image doesn't look like it does in person. There are so many subtle things going on in the moon. I like this version so much better than the original chart. When I pulled the floss for it, there were actually shades of red in it. The original chart had not a single shade of red.

WIP
Mabel Figworthy

Re: Redo: Color of the Wolf (21Dec Update)

Isn't it remarkable how the camera definitely does lie sometimes? We'll have to make do with the pictures, but even there you can see the difference with your first version - and you will just have to tell us about all the things going on in the moon!
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I'm still waking up :coffee: so my eyes are blurry and doing the blending just fine.

The old pattern certainly didn't have that light colored line that runs about 1/2" (12 mm) in from the edge, that is showing up nicely this time. Overall the colors are much better.
-Steve

richardandtracy

So glad it's going well for you. It looking quite remarkable, much, much better than the original. The difference is visible, and not to the old chart's advantage.
Don't know how you're doing it so fast, though.

Regards,

Richard.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

What a lovely mix of colours in the moon and yes I can just see that hint of red there, need to really look though. I agree with Mabel please tell us about the hard to see colours so we can have fun finding them. :D
A great update.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: Looking great!!! And yes the redo is wonderful! I hope that we are going to see lots of updates!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

Mabel Figworthy wrote:Isn't it remarkable how the camera definitely does lie sometimes? We'll have to make do with the pictures, but even there you can see the difference with your first version - and you will just have to tell us about all the things going on in the moon!
It looks much like the image with all the subtle shading going on in the moon. I think the camera flash washes some of it out. I should try taking a picture in natural daylight to see if it comes out better, but it only occurs to me to take a picture when I'm done stitching for the night, usually well after midnight. :)
SteveM wrote:...The old pattern certainly didn't have that light colored line that runs about 1/2" (12 mm) in from the edge, that is showing up nicely this time. Overall the colors are much better.
:) I think the original chart cropped the image at or just inside that light line. I wanted the whole image. I wanted it all and I know that you know what I mean.
Squirrel wrote:What a lovely mix of colours in the moon and yes I can just see that hint of red there, need to really look though. I agree with Mabel please tell us about the hard to see colours so we can have fun finding them. :D
A great update.
:) The reds I was referring to are the reds in the blood. She's quite the bloody mess. This recharted version uses shades of red floss, so when I pulled the floss for the project, I was pulling actual reds. The original version didn't use any reds, just browns and reddish shades of brown. That should have been my first clue that the chart was going to be crap. Actually, that should have been my second clue. The first clue should have been the sample image, but I was so excited that I found something macabre that I didn't look at it with a critical eye. Shame on me.
richardandtracy wrote:So glad it's going well for you. It looking quite remarkable, much, much better than the original. The difference is visible, and not to the old chart's advantage. Don't know how you're doing it so fast, though.
I'm back to stitching a couple of hours each night instead of stitching for an hour every couple of nights like I was there for a while. That and there are only about half a dozen symbols in the moon, so even though there are rarely more than three consecutive instances of the same symbol, it goes fast because there just aren't that many colors to deal with.

I have the color now that I needed to continue with the hood. That'll slow me down a bit. There's lot of colors going on in that transition from the moon, to the moon glow on the hood, into the hood itself. I'm eager to get down into the next row of pages. That's where the fun is. :)

WIP
kingfisher68(2)

Post by kingfisher68(2) »

Very neat stitching, look forward to seeing this one unfold as you stitch :applesauce:
Izzi

If you believe you can you wil

Finished 2017
Pleasant Row Cottages
Kingfisher & flowers
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

Another update using the camera flash. Sorry. I never think to take a picture during the day in natural light. I'll keep working on that.

Pages 10 and 11 are done. I'm kinda working my way diagonally through 12 and 13.

WIP
BizzieLizzie

Re: Redo: Color of the Wolf (7Feb Update)

Post by BizzieLizzie »

Great update! I’m looking forward to you getting to the fun part too! :applesauce: :D
Sew many patterns, sew little time!

WIP
HAED Drawing Room
HAED Stitchers Retreat
Lion Profile
Coniferous Forest

Mabel Figworthy

Re: Redo: Color of the Wolf (7Feb Update)

I like the way your parked threads give her wind-swept hair :-)
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page