Luis Royo: Luz. Update 9 May 2020

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

wendywombat

Re: Luis Royo: Luz. Update 23 Feb 2017

Post by wendywombat »

This design may not be something I would do, the pale colours....and so many shades of them..... would drive me Nuts! :tizzy:

But I have to say, Richard that this is really going splendidly! :applesauce: :applesauce:
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: Lovely progress! Backgrounds are important in so many projects, but can get a bit tedious when stitching. They do provide some relief though from areas filled (or overfilled?) with confetti!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
kingfisher68

Post by kingfisher68 »

Really great update, lovely to see more colours. How you did all that background I'll never know either, you've much more patience than me! A marvellous feat of stitching so far & you've still lots to go. It will be so beautiful when completed though & well worth all the effort you are putting into it. :whoop: :applesauce: :applesauce:
Izzi

Believe you can & you will

WIP
DMC Pleasant Row Cottages
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

Thanks for your kind comments. I suppose I am around 300 stitches away from the page finish, which will make 29097 stitches from 110730 stitches, or 26.3% through. If I can keep this rate up, I may finish in June 2020.
:doh:

As for being patient. No, I don't think so. Just stubborn. Very stubborn!
There is a certain amount of variety in the background, as it's almost all confetti just as much as the figure herself. There are few places with more than 3 stitches in a row of the same blend. So, have to concentrate & put all concerns to one side, usually to the sound track of purring coming from the feline infestation on my lap.

Regards,

Richard
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
RosemaryD

Post by RosemaryD »

It's great to see the detail emerging in this.

I see you're using tent stitch here, which I've been thinking about for future projects but am worried that in very confetti-heavy areas with lots of single stitches I would have problems anchoring thread tails on the back. With full crosses even if I make a single stitch I get a vertical on the back to anchor that tail and tails of previous threads which wouldn't happen with single half crosses. Does it work ok for you?
Rosemary

WIPs
Blue Moon - Andy Russell
The Shore of the Turquoise Sea - Albert Bierstadt
Arabian Walled Garden - Chatelaine
richardandtracy

Yes, it does work.
I'm getting a pad up to 2mm thick on the back of the fabric made up of tails and cross country movement thread. No problem at all to anchor threads. In places the pad is getting so dense it's a problem to get the needle through, instead. On 28 ct I'm happy to move to the next stitch of the same colour if it's up to 30 stitches away - as that's only an inch in actual distances. You don't need many of these long reach stitches to make enough threads to anchor to even if there are not too many stitches on the front face of the fabric.
In areas where the back is almost uncovered & I'm coming to the end of a thread, I tend to deliberately create a number of stitches with long threads on the back. Imagine a tent stitch being bottom left to top right, then move to the stitch to the left of the first one, and again do that one bottom left to top right. Three or four of these stitches & you have enough slack thread on the back to anchor a tail, and several more threads can be anchored there too, making the start of a small pad which can then be used for yet more...

Regards,

Richard
RosemaryD

Post by RosemaryD »

Thanks, good to know. I suspect I would need to use longer tails and carry threads further than I currently do (max 15 on 32ct and rarely more than 10 on 28ct). I will experiment.
Rosemary

WIPs
Blue Moon - Andy Russell
The Shore of the Turquoise Sea - Albert Bierstadt
Arabian Walled Garden - Chatelaine
fccs

Post by fccs »

As usual, Richard, this is a stunning update. I love seeing your progress - on this and on Gryff.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
AlwaysGoofy

Post by AlwaysGoofy »

Your work is always so amazing. I love that the book and the hilt have started to become visible. I always look forward to your updates. I am reminded of how detailed your pieces are and what patient person you must be.
AlwaysGoofy's Blog with Cross Stitching, Quilting, and My Love of All Things Disney: http://goofinoffaroundtheblock.blogspot.com/
richardandtracy

Re: Luis Royo: Luz. Update 1 Mar 2017

Well, I managed to get the page finish on 28 Feb, so Luz has now been put away. This is the state she was in when packed away:
So, 29097 stitches, and 26.3% and 5 pages complete. The last few hundred stitches had 40 or 50 different blends in them, with very few colours having more than 5 stitches. Some skeins had to be used for the first time, and I can now pack them away as they are done with for these two projects I'm working on. Expensive little stitches!

Be glad to get back on to Gryff, but I am pleased with the way the hilt looks on Luz' sword.

Regards,

Richard
Last edited by richardandtracy on Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: Good progress and beautiful stitching! Looking forward to seeing Gryff again1

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
AlwaysGoofy

Post by AlwaysGoofy »

I can see the hilt details have definitely come into view here. This piece is really coming together. I'm sorry you're putting it away but glad to see Gryff coming out again.
AlwaysGoofy's Blog with Cross Stitching, Quilting, and My Love of All Things Disney: http://goofinoffaroundtheblock.blogspot.com/
vanessanjf

Post by vanessanjf »

Amazing work :applesauce: :applesauce: this is coming along great :applesauce: :applesauce:
Vanessa

A little progress every day adds up to big results

WIP
The adoration of the kings- Golden kite completed
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Well done, Richard. Great progress there. :applesauce:

Looking forward to Gryff again. :dance:
richardandtracy

Re: Luis Royo: Luz. Update 5 May 2017

I have been erratically having a go at 'Luz' since 12th April. The fact I'm only working on background at the moment has done wonders to reduce motivation, but nonetheless I have had the odd spurt doing it. I'm working on page 12 of the chart, starting at the top and generally working my way down.

The progress is as below:

So, that's the top right quarter of the chart complete. And a little bit extra. I hope to get slightly more motivated soon.

Regards,

Richard
Last edited by richardandtracy on Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CarrieGF

Post by CarrieGF »

wow Richard, it is amazing!
at leaset you have most of the background completed now so the extra detail may increase motivation for you.
excellent work.
Smile & the whole world smiles with you
Cry & you cry alone
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: Backgrounds can be tedious when stitching even with lots of confetti and blended threads, but the result is stunning! Beautiful update and good progress!

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
tiffstitch

Post by tiffstitch »

That is amazing! It is unfortunate that the background stitching can be so monotonous, but it does make the main character stand out really well. Sometimes I'll do a little background, then some of the main character to give myself motivation.
AlwaysGoofy

Post by AlwaysGoofy »

Your patience (or is it maybe a lack thereof) will pay off in the end with working through this background. The picture is so very stunning and detailed. Your charting expertise is right up there with your stitching expertise. I look forward to each and every update you do.
fccs

Post by fccs »

It's beautiful! I can see how the background had get old after awhile, but your perseverance will be worth it. Gorgeous stitching.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends