Rosemary's 2016 progress - Update 16 Dec

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

richardandtracy

Re: Rosemary's 2016 progress - Update 1 Dec

Post by richardandtracy »

It looks most impressive. It is remarkable how the different textures seem to appear as different colours. Very nice indeed.

As for the fabric. 1/2" to spare on either side? I think you will be very hard pressed to attach it to a frame with Q-snaps and still have enough room to stitch. You may have to sew extra bits on either side of the fabric to give you enough room. That may not be easy. Well, I'm speaking of myself when I say, that'd be VERY difficult and would lead to a certain amount of blood letting (punctured fingers). I shouldn't be allowed near a sharp needle.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: for what you have stitched. This is so beautiful. I have done the same thing with turning the fabric the wrong way, but was luckier in that I still had enough fabric on the side to barely fit in a hoop (long before I heard of q-snaps or other frames). Since then I have always either drawn an arrow on all sides of the fabric indicating what direction is up, either with a washable ink pen or quick stitching an arrow. I know that either of your choices isn't a great one. I would ask myself which of the choices will make the rest of the stitching fun? If it seems that starting over will be less frustrating than continuing, start over. If adding the fabric to the sides is something you are pretty sure you will be comfortable with, do that. I think the important thing is to make the decision now before you have gone a lot further. I know that isn't much help. You have done a lot already, but there is so much more to go. My guess is that I would start over. Should go faster since you have already mastered the specialty stitches.

Carole
:tizzy:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
xstitchalanna

Post by xstitchalanna »

Wow! That is coming along nicely! I love the colors and the specail stitches
Working on QS Phantom of the Opera from HAED for their challenge #4
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

Oh this looks incredibly amazing, but what a dilemma you have on your hands. In the long run, I would have to start over--either frog all of this fantastic stitching and restart, or start anew on a fresh piece of fabric(you could always turn this one into a nice small finish??) Oh the joys of stitching--I did this once with a Joan Elliott design, and ended up frogging at least 20% of the design :cry: It was one of her larger ones too, so I was not at all happy, but it was worth it in the end!!
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

How absolutely beautiful! (love the contrasting textures in the wall) But what a choice :-(

I can only echo what someone else has said, that your decision must decide on what will give you most pleasure/least pain. If you can work the piece as it is, and not mind having to sew on bits of addiotional fabric, go for it. But if you are sure that you will forever be looking at it with a negative feeling, bite the bullet and start again. Whichever you choose, we will cheer you on!!!!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
kingfisher68

Post by kingfisher68 »

:applesauce: :applesauce: Love it. It looks very detailed. You have done very well with this. Such beautiful colours. It will be stunning when completed. Look forward to seeing it again soon.
Izzi

Believe you can & you will

WIP
DMC Pleasant Row Cottages
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

It's too beautiful to abandon. (And we've all done this!)

I'd attach the same count fabric to either side to hold it properly in the Q-snap, using a basting or a running stitch.

When I came to framing, I'd take off the working fabric. Then I'd (probably with a machine) choose some fabulous fabric to act as an inset mount -- the fab fabric becomes part of the piece, you see. I've seen it done, and it's really, really effective.
fccs

Post by fccs »

It's beautiful. I've done the same thing, started stitching with the fabric in the incorrect orientation. In my case, the design is such that I can handle the change. If I had only 1/2" outside the design, I would kick myself for making the mistake and I would get a new piece of fabric and start over. I wouldn't even frog it because I'd be so perturbed that I didn't want to spend the time. But that's just me.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

What an incredible update this is and oh the dilemma. The decision has to be the one you can easily live with each time you pick up the work or look at it once it is done. Good luck with the decision making. :D

A fabulous update
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
RosemaryD

Post by RosemaryD »

Thanks so much for all the advice everyone, very much appreciated. :D

As so often in my internal brain battles perfectionism has won and I'm going to restart on a new piece of fabric. It took me less than two weeks of not-intense stitching to get that far so not much time wasted. No way am I going to frog the whole thing; it's a bit of a mare's nest with all the layered stitches, and there are various silks, perles and metallics in there that would be unusable after frogging due to fraying. I suspect the fabric may be the worse for wear underneath too. There is only one thread (possibly two) that I will need to get more of if I restart. Most importantly, as a lot of you reminded me, I would be constantly feeling dissatisfied if I carried on, even if I planned to salvage as Serinde suggested.

We have a saying at work that relates to stupid mistakes: "There are two types of people: those that have, and those that will". I know we learn from our mistakes but every time I make one I so wish I could have learnt before I made it!

I'm moving on to the Turquoise Sea for a bit. At least I have already started that (definitely the right way round) so hopefully cannot screw it up too badly.
Rosemary

WIPs
Blue Moon - Andy Russell
The Shore of the Turquoise Sea - Albert Bierstadt
Arabian Walled Garden - Chatelaine
Purple Patsy

Post by Purple Patsy »

For what it's worth I think you've made the right decision. I've made the same mistake myself and now if there's any possibility the fabric can be confused I stitsh a huge bold T at the top of the piece, just to be on the safe side.

I'm consideing investing in a Chat and know how much pain it must have caused you to discover your mistake. It is a gorgeous design.
WIPs
The Astronomer (HaED)
Gamer Nouveau (Gecko Rouge)
Woodland Enchantress (Dimensions)
Sagi No Mai (Maia)

Finishes on forum
Starry Night with TARDIS 12 Aug 2016 -27 June 2017
Royal Holiday
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Well, we will pull up the new-and-improved magic bench and cheer you on during the re-stitch. :wip:
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Been there...done that!! :doh:

Only you can decide what's best. I had a large design that had just 4! :shock: squares of Aida at the bottom edge. I did what Serinde suggested and framed it in some nice fabric and it's been hanging over my stairs for some years now. It looks fine...but I learnt by it and now count REALLY carefully! :wink:

It's a Beautiful and different design that you have there and deservs to be stitched.
I'll sit on the magic bench along with others and wait to see your re-start ! :D
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

I really like Serinde's suggestion but in the end only you can say what is a satisfactory solution, and you have fortunately found very clearly what will satisfy you, so now we will look forward to the New Improved version!

By the way, what are the threads you may need more of? If I've got some in my stash I'd be happy to send you some.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Make room on the magic bench for me too please!!! This is one of the prettiest "Chats" I've seen and can't wait to see it again, but most certainly understand the need for a break before you restart!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
RosemaryD

Post by RosemaryD »

wendywombat wrote:I had a large design that had just 4! :shock: squares of Aida at the bottom edge. I did what Serinde suggested and framed it in some nice fabric and it's been hanging over my stairs for some years now.
Oh wow that was close! I was very nearly going to do what Serinde suggested but the piece of fabric has been cut significantly narrower at the top than the bottom. Although the stitching would just fit on the fabric as the design is also narrower at the top I was worried that even framing with fabric as close to the edge of the stitching as possible I might not be able to get parallel sides, and that really would drive me mad.
Mabel Figworthy wrote: By the way, what are the threads you may need more of? If I've got some in my stash I'd be happy to send you some.
That's very kind of you Mabel, thank you, but I read this just too late - I ordered new fabric and the two threads I think I need about 30 minutes ago! The offer is much appreciated though.
Rosemary

WIPs
Blue Moon - Andy Russell
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Mabel Figworthy wrote:By the way, what are the threads you may need more of? If I've got some in my stash I'd be happy to send you some.
I can help there, too. :snowman:
RosemaryD

Post by RosemaryD »

Serinde wrote: I can help there, too. :snowman:
That's most kind of you to offer, much appreciated but I ordered some just before I read this so I think I should be ok.
Rosemary

WIPs
Blue Moon - Andy Russell
phoebefreckle

Post by phoebefreckle »

Pointers look fab. The Chatelaine is great! I looked at the link. Wow! I now want to do this one! I've done fabric wrong way round and had to start again. I believe I did a combination of crying and swearing! X
WIP:
Punky Fairy
Bothy Thread Alphabet
Shoe Tree
Max's Moon
Small fairy
Some knitting and crochet

End 2016 finishes
Christmas Wreath embroidery
Knitted rag dolls
Green jumper

Rowandean embroidery 2017 finish
ecology665

Post by ecology665 »

Beautiful work Rosemary! :applesauce:
I'm too knew at this to give you advice; but I believe you got some great advice from the experts on this forum.

Lovely projects.

:wip:
Marilyn Monroe
Audrey Hepburn
In the Garret