Wedding Sampler -Follow up 8/7/2017

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

rcperryls

Wedding Sampler -Follow up 8/7/2017

Post by rcperryls »

This is the Wedding Sampler that I will be stitching for my niece's wedding (date to be determined)

It is designed by Sandy Orton of Kooler Design Studio Inc. The sample was stitched on 18 ct Antique White Aida with DMC 333, 340 and 3747 (light, medium and dark blue violet floss). I am thinking of stitching it on either 28 or 32 count linen 2 over 2 with either silk or hand dyed threads if I can find shades that are close to the DMC colors. Or I might do 333 and 3747 and switch the 340 to a light variegated or variation color if I can find one. Suggestions are welcome. I did send an email (one of those contact us things) to Kooler Design Studio telling them how I plan to stitch this and asking if they had suggestions.
I wasn't going to start this until the engagement became "official", but since the groom's mother is already figuring out wedding guest lists I decided (and my sister gave me assurances that this wouldn't be a jinx on the engagement as long as I don't put their names and the date on it until it is official) to get started once I decide on the fabric and threads. I am not the most creative stitcher (almost always follow the instructions exactly) so I would love any help from you creative ones.

Carole
:tizzy:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Allyn

Re: Wedding Sampler - Suggestions Please!

Post by Allyn »

I like the idea of two solids and a coordinated variegated. This will look beautiful in specialty threads and I really like that you're thinking of doing it on a linen instead of aida.

Not much help, I know; but I hate it when there are a lot of views and no one says anything. . . . .so there, I said something. :)

WIP
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

Allyn wrote:I like the idea of two solids and a coordinated variegated. This will look beautiful in specialty threads and I really like that you're thinking of doing it on a linen instead of aida.

Not much help, I know; but I hate it when there are a lot of views and no one says anything. . . . .so there, I said something. :)

Well said and I agree!! Only thing I might add would be to try and find a slightly mottled silver/grey/white linen?? Just a thought, but I agree on the thread choices :)
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Thank you, Allyn. It helps to know my concept sounds good to someone else. I expect there are views without comments because getting the right colors isn't as,easy as I thought it would be. Especially using specialty threads and I don't have an LNS to actually look at them not pictures of them. That's why I'm hoping the designer might have an idea.

I have to admit that deciding on linen was easy. I haven't stitched on Aida since my first few projects years ago. I think it will look better 2 over 2. Somehow I think that 2 over 1 tent stitching doesn't seem right. Don't know why but I can't picture it or I would try that

Eta: good idea about the linen color, Karen. Maybe an opulescent Lugana. There is one had and used last year for coasters that has a very subtle sparkle. You use lots of specialty threads. Any ideas?

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

Your sparkly Lugana sounds doable for sure---as for the specialty threads, I do highly recommend Mo's Sale threads---she does a super job and has a wonderful selection---ships quickly and inexpensively too!!! She does have a couple of nice silks in purple tones---here's a link for you to look---Love the mauve one, not highly variegated but it is a beautiful color---Rue is another nice one :) And of course there are tons of different threads at 123stitch

http://www.mos-sale.com/#!silkfloss/ctu0
Work in Progress
Various small designs

Allyn

Post by Allyn »

rcperryls wrote: ... I think it will look better 2 over 2. Somehow I think that 2 over 1 tent stitching doesn't seem right. Don't know why but I can't picture it or I would try that ....

I agree. You could do it 2-over-1 tent, but I think it would be too small. I think this is would look better 2-over-2. With the variegated thread and if you go with a silk threads or something with a shine/texture, you don't want tiny stitches. You want nice big (relatively speaking) stitches to show the threads.

WIP
sylk

Post by sylk »

rcperryls wrote:Thank you, Allyn. It helps to know my concept sounds good to someone else. I expect there are views without comments because getting the right colors isn't as,easy as I thought it would be. Especially using specialty threads and I don't have an LNS to actually look at them not pictures of them. That's why I'm hoping the designer might have an idea.

I have to admit that deciding on linen was easy. I haven't stitched on Aida since my first few projects years ago. I think it will look better 2 over 2. Somehow I think that 2 over 1 tent stitching doesn't seem right. Don't know why but I can't picture it or I would try that

Eta: good idea about the linen color, Karen. Maybe an opulescent Lugana. There is one had and used last year for coasters that has a very subtle sparkle. You use lots of specialty threads. Any ideas?

Carole
:thinks:
I am going to my LNS on Tuesday; I could try pulling a few specialty threads to compare to the DMC colors, if you'd like. My cell phone camera photos wouldn't be the best, but it could at least give you an idea.

Let me know if there's any brand in particular that you'd like to see a comparison for and I can see if they have it.
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

sylk wrote:I am going to my LNS on Tuesday; I could try pulling a few specialty threads to compare to the DMC colors, if you'd like. My cell phone camera photos wouldn't be the best, but it could at least give you an idea.

Let me know if there's any brand in particular that you'd like to see a comparison for and I can see if they have it.
Thank you, I would really appreciate that. Not stuck on any particular brand, I am more familiar with Weeks Dye Works, Gentle Art Sampler Threads but not particular and I know very little about silks. I really miss having the owner of the LNS being available to help pick out colors. But I love having forum friends to consult with!!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
seedreemer

Post by seedreemer »

This is lovely, and I love the linen/silk/variegated ideas. My only thought is to either match it to the couple's favorite colors rather than the suggested colors or do it in neutrals so it will blend with any colors they use in their homes. Maybe a cream linen with beige threads?

I'm looking forward to seeing this stitched!
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Well, after a bit of consulting with our own Mabel (who knows more about threads than most anyone I know), but making the final decision myself, this is what I decided to go with:
Gloriana Silks:

023 Velvet Night Sky (replacing DMC 333) Image

024 Blueberry (replacing DMC 340) Image

081 Hydrangea (replacing DMC 3747) Image

Stitching it on 32 Count White/Silver Evenweave (Fabric Flare). Supposed to have just a little bit of Silver Shimmer.

Won't be here for about 2 weeks as the Velvet Sky takes 8 to 10 days to usually ship. I instructed them to just wait until all products were ready to go.

Thank you also sylk for offering to look at your LNS, but as crazy as it sounds, I was getting too impatient to wait. :tizzy:

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

:applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: Yay to Mabel for such great assistance and I hope your threads arrive quicker than anticipated, Carole!! Love them!! :wub:
Work in Progress
Various small designs

Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Oooh i like the Hydrangea you picked Carole, much better than the Bell Flower I came up with :-) - it looks great with the other two. And Gloriana is just SO nice to stitch with :drool: :drool:
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
seedreemer

Post by seedreemer »

I'm looking forward to watching this being stitched. It's really gorgeous! I'd work in Gloriana silks all the time if I could afford it.
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

Excellent color choices! :applesauce: I am looking forward to see the progress on this. :)

WIP
sylk

Post by sylk »

rcperryls wrote:Well, after a bit of consulting with our own Mabel (who knows more about threads than most anyone I know), but making the final decision myself, this is what I decided to go with:
Gloriana Silks:

023 Velvet Night Sky (replacing DMC 333) Image

024 Blueberry (replacing DMC 340) Image

081 Hydrangea (replacing DMC 3747) Image

Stitching it on 32 Count White/Silver Evenweave (Fabric Flare). Supposed to have just a little bit of Silver Shimmer.

Won't be here for about 2 weeks as the Velvet Sky takes 8 to 10 days to usually ship. I instructed them to just wait until all products were ready to go.

Thank you also sylk for offering to look at your LNS, but as crazy as it sounds, I was getting too impatient to wait. :tizzy:

Carole
No worries - they look lovely!

I will simply go and console myself by drooling over possible stash additions. ;) :D
rcperryls

Re: Wedding Sampler - First week-end update

Post by rcperryls »

Got a great start I think on the Wedding Sampler. In order to make sure I stitch this on the week-ends until all but the names and date are to be done, I thought I would do a regular week-end update. Some week-ends will be less productive (like the coming one as we have tickets to see STAR WARS!! in 3D!! and not expensive because we are going to a smaller theater than we usually go to!!!!) but I am going to try to stick to week-ends as I do have a long time to get this done. So here is the first update. (No photos of Miss Laverne in my lap as much of the time she was in her "catio" as the weather here has been really lovely and unseasonably warm)

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Allyn

Re: Wedding Sampler - First week-end update 12/14/15

Post by Allyn »

:applesauce: Good progress! :applesauce:

WIP
Carole

Post by Carole »

Great start - and I love the colours you're using :applesauce: :D
Current WIPs
Precious Dreams
Crazy cat lady
Previous WIPs
Previous WIPs

karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

Carole wrote:Great start - and I love the colours you're using :applesauce: :D
I absolutely agree!! Very pretty
Work in Progress
Various small designs

Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

:applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: A great start Carole and you have made good progress on your first weekend. Good on Miss Laverne for enjoying the warmth of her cario - older bones need warmth. :D An ear scratch from naughty Tuppy to her.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262