Sina's stitches

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

sina28

Sina's stitches

Post by sina28 »

Hello everyone!
As so many people have encouraged me to show my beginner's work here, I will do it now!

This is the first picture, which is not finished obviously but I left it at home and won't be able to complete it before January. This is a kit by Rico (in Germany they give you everything you need in the kits, even a hoop!)

And this is my newest piece, the one with the confetti (look at the lower right corner, it is so difficult but looks rather nice, I believe).

It is the Autumn Forest by RTO.

Here is my start:

I am very excited to read your comments. My biggest problem is that the thread sometimes seems to loosen, especially when there are only two crosses. I can't do the "loop start" as I am only working with one strand on this one, so I try to "catch" the beginning of the thread with my stitches.
Last edited by sina28 on Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:57 am, edited 26 times in total.
Sina
rcperryls

Re: Sina's stitches

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: Great job on both your pieces. The bunny is precious and you have made a great start on your Autumn Forest. I have several pieces that I am stitching one over one also and the confetti can be tricky. I anchor the stitch as best I can by weaving the end of the thread through other stitches in the back. If it is in an area that doesn't have other stitches yet, I leave about a 1/2 inch of thread which I stitch over when I add stitches there. (I hope this makes sense - I'm sure someone else will be able to explain this better or have a better suggestion for you). It can be tricky with one thread, which is why I prefer to do tent stitches on larger projects, but I started these before I knew about tent stitching. There are other methods for anchoring single stitches, but like loop starts, the ones I know use two strands. Looks like you are doing a great job though as Autumn Forest is lovely.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

They look really nice. I love the autumn scenes. Reminds me a little of Autumn when I was a kid on the Luneburger Heide. Happy memories.

For the starting problem, take a look at this page: http://www.scarletquince.com/pinhead_aida.php which describes a very secure pinhead stitch. I have never deliberately used one, but when working on my last 2 projects I have accidentally got them where I don't want them (discover I've gone through the wrong hole, and don't quite back out of the same place) and it's impossible to get them out. :tantrum:

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

:applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: Very pretty bunny and the start on your autumn project looks fantastic!!
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

sina28

Post by sina28 »

Thank you everyone, and Richard, I'll definately try the pinhead stitch, it looks perfectly secure!
Sina
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

:applesauce: The projects are lovely. :)

And Richard beat me to it. I was also going to suggest the pinhead stitch. I've used it on many occasions and it is quite secure. It'll be a little bit tougher doing it on aida, but it is quite doable -- no harder than doing fractional stitches on aida. Waste and away knots will also help you keep those confetti stitches secure as long as the confetti is eventually solid-filled or close to solid-filled. For stitches sprinkled out away from the 'main body,' the pinhead is your friend.

WIP
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

:wub: the Bunny and hope to see more of him next year. What a fabulous design that Autumn forest one is and you have made a great start to it. Yes it is sometimes difficult when stitch 1/1 especially with confetti but well worth it definitely.

A lovely update :whoop: :whoop: :whoop:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
sina28

Post by sina28 »

Thanks!

Allyn, now I really want to givt the pinhead stitch a try. Sadly it will have to wait until Sunday, because I'll be in Kazan for the weekend!

Squirrel, I really like the Autumn Forest, but now all I want to do is stitch christmassy things. :D So I'll have to make an efffort to finish the forest, as I don't want it to be laying around unfinished for ever.
Sina
fccs

Post by fccs »

Your bunny is super sweet - I love him. And autumn forest - love love love!!!! I think you're doing a fabulous job on it, too!!
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
AlwaysGoofy

Post by AlwaysGoofy »

Those are some beautiful designs that you have chosen. I love to see pictures of other people's projects. They keep me motivated when I don't have much time to stitch.
AlwaysGoofy's Blog with Cross Stitching, Quilting, and My Love of All Things Disney: http://goofinoffaroundtheblock.blogspot.com/
sina28

Post by sina28 »

Thank you Debby and AlwaysGoofy, for me this is also highly motivational! But more often than not I will see someone's project and have the wish to stitch that one, too. :)
Sina
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

I think that's a problem most of us here have too.

The ones I'd really love to stitch are Pescatus Mechanicus (HaED) & the Nova Totius map (SQ). I'd like to stitch 'Dancing with the Cat' too. And I already have 4 years worth of work already lined up in 2 projects of my own. Oh, not to forget 'Song of the Angels' - would love to do that one and ... Got to stop. Otherwise I never will.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
sina28

Post by sina28 »

Haha Richard, I can see where this is leading :whoop:
Of course I don't have that much stash, but I just assume that it will just pile up over the years. :shock: Now I already have 5 kits, a few magazines and books, so I should have enaugh for the next two years.
Sina
sina28

Post by sina28 »

Over the last week I have made quite the process, I think. It is now nearly half finished.

And as I told yesterday, I am so excited for the DMC nativity freebie that I want to give it a go. These are the colours:

Sina
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: Lovely update! looking forward to this one and your Nativity piece.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
fccs

Post by fccs »

I'm excited to see the Nativity in progress, and I am still loving the Autumn design...beautiful colors and beautiful stitches.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
sina28

Post by sina28 »

Thank you both for your comments. :D I'm still unsure if I want to finish the Autumn Forest first or start the nativity scene right away...
Sina
LadyS

Post by LadyS »

Lovely stitching! :applesauce: :applesauce:

I was also going to suggest the pinhead stitch to start when working with one thread, it's what I do.

The colors for the Nativity scene are so pretty!
Laura (aka lsschwartz on HAED BB)

WIPs
Krystal (HAED)
Middle Earth Map (HAED)
Snowman&Friends Stocking (Dimensions)
12 Days of Christmas SAL
Little One (Dimensions)
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

:applesauce: Good progress! :applesauce:

WIP
sina28

Post by sina28 »

Thank you :)
Oh and I forgot that I now use the pinhead stitch all the time, it is so secure, simply a life-saver for me!
Sina