Thomas Kinkade's The Lion King 11.02.17

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

Arianwen

Thomas Kinkade's The Lion King 11.02.17

Post by Arianwen »

Well I couldn't resist any more. I've decided to start my other disney dream's piece. I finished my new heights piece about 3 weeks to a month ago and I kinda lost my stitchy bug for a bit when it came to Fantasy castle.

I spent an hour or so today gridding the fabric (and getting frustrated with my sewline pencil lol), getting it on a frame and putting in the first 15 stitches or so.

This now puts me up to 3 projects on the go. Fantasy Castle (very confetti heavy), this, and a new Gorjuss design - I found my family in a book, which I started earlier this week

I also tried my hand at making some huggies with some awesome fabric I found - I think they are fab! so much better than faffing about pinning the fabric up.

Sadly my camera is currently not working so I can't upload any pictures but as soon as I can I will upload pics of all 3 of my projects and the huggies I made!
Last edited by Arianwen on Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current WIP's

HAED What Lies beneath Dakota Daetwiler
Disney Dreams The little mermaid / Fantasia by MCG textiles/Thomas kinkade

Spinning/wool craft
Ramie in toureg/sunrise
Heather Mulberry Silk in 'Gladys
rcperryls

Re: Thomas Kinkade's The Lion King 30.10.14

Post by rcperryls »

Looking forward to seeing your pics. Hope the :camera: is fixed soon.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Arianwen

Post by Arianwen »

Well I managed to get my camera sorted enough to grab some pics of my wip's - theres a problem with my battery compartment not staying closed - I have a temporary fix but waiting on sorting something more permanent.

Anyways heres my first pic here. It really doesnt look like much but I think its about 150 stitches with 2 colours and a blended thread. I have this kit twice, and each has different colour aida. I decided to go with this one rather than the cream as I though it would go better with the colours involved

The fabric is a little darker in real life but the blues are that vibrant. this kit has less filament blended threads too, only 3 colours this time rather than the 7 or 8 in Beauty and the Beast.

Nit sure how much time I will have to spend stitching on this between now and xmas - I'm working full time plus my boyfriend is now living with me (and my parents) until we can afford a place of our own. As a result I've had to dismantle my stitchy corner to accommodate him so the little stitchy time I have, things seem to go slower - its only temporary though

Thanks for looking!
Current WIP's

Spinning/wool craft
Ramie in toureg/sunrise
fccs

Post by fccs »

Arianwen wrote: I've had to dismantle my stitchy corner to accommodate him so the little stitchy time I have, things seem to go slower - its only temporary though
I hope he realizes how special he is...not everyone is worthy of a loss of a stitchy corner. :-)

Your Lion King start is a good one. I have the kit, also, but am not sure when or if I'll get to it, so I'm going to enjoy it through you.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: Lovely start! and I agree with
fccs wrote:I hope he realizes how special he is...not everyone is worthy of a loss of a stitchy corner. :-)
Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
stitch_me

Post by stitch_me »

Arianwen wrote:
The fabric is a little darker in real life but the blues are that vibrant. this kit has less filament blended threads too, only 3 colours this time rather than the 7 or 8 in Beauty and the Beast.
The Bambi's First Year kit that I am doing now has 17 blended filament colors! :doh: I am so tempted to leave the filament out of all but the rainbow portion. I hate filament!
Crossing Stitches (my cross stitch work)

WIP:
Kinkade Disney Dreams, Bambi's First Year 12x16 on 18 ct aida
Arianwen

Post by Arianwen »

I know! I dislike filament too but it really makes those aspects of the picture pop - it's very tempting to leave it out though.

When I did Beauty and the Beast I found that using a LOT of thread heaven was key. I ended up putting it on all the filament while it was still on the card helped. Then I recoated it at least once before using it. I used a needle threader and about a half length of thread and filament and kinda looped it around the eye of the needle so it didn't keep coming unthreaded.

This project has taken a bit of a back seat - my fantasy castle is YELLING at me to be worked on - I really must update that thread soon
Current WIP's

Spinning/wool craft
Ramie in toureg/sunrise
stitch_me

Post by stitch_me »

I had 10 filament blends when I stitched Kinkade's Snow Whites Cottage last year; it sounds like I did all the same things with the filament that you do but it was still annoying stuff to work with. When I saw 17 in this Bambi kit that my mother gave me for Xmas I thought wholly hell.
Crossing Stitches (my cross stitch work)

WIP:
Kinkade Disney Dreams, Bambi's First Year 12x16 on 18 ct aida
Arianwen

Re: Thomas Kinkade's The Lion King 11.02.17

Post by Arianwen »

this project was well overdue for some love! I didnt realise I had it in the wings for quite so long!

Just before Christmas I was able to give this some time and made some good progress for me. This was done over the course of maybe 3 weeks. I dont stitch much in the evenings mostly on weekends right now

this is where I left it just before Christmas when I started making my ornaments (which I didnt take proper photos of and have now been packed away :oops: ) I have made it about two thirds - 3 quarters of the way across the first page at the top and pretty much all the way down the first page on the left hand side. Lots of fractional stitches and blended threads but I love how the colours work together!

I havent worked on it yet this year but am hoping to soon. I need to finish the project(s) I am working on now.

I know I wont have much time for stitching as my partner and myself will be moving into my grandparents old house and it needs a LOT of work. We are hoping to be in by the end of our tenancy here but we will see. My granddad passed away a few weeks ago too so along with clearing all the rubbish we have to finish going through all their belongings but we are hoping to make a big dent in it on my week off from work so byebye stitchy time.. Hopefully I will have stitchy time over easter though which is like 8 weeks away.

Thanks for looking!
Current WIP's

Spinning/wool craft
Ramie in toureg/sunrise
kingfisher68

Post by kingfisher68 »

Thank you for latest photo. What yo have odne so far is very nice & I look forward to another update :applesauce:
Izzi

Believe you can & you will

WIP
DMC Pleasant Row Cottages
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Never easy to lose a grandparent you love. :wub:

:applesauce: :applesauce: Good to see this one again! Sounds like you have been really busy, but hopefully once you have moved and settled in to your grandfather's house things will calm down and you will have a great time stitching on this fun piece!

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
AlwaysGoofy

Post by AlwaysGoofy »

This Disney-loving girl is happy to see you've pulled this one out again. All of the Thomas Kinkade Disney pieces have me drooling over them every time I see them.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Hopefully, you'll be able to get settled in quickly, and we'll be getting to see more updates.
AlwaysGoofy's Blog with Cross Stitching, Quilting, and My Love of All Things Disney: http://goofinoffaroundtheblock.blogspot.com/
DisneyStitcher

Post by DisneyStitcher »

Lion King is going to be beauty! Do you use the fabric provided in the kit? I was wondering what kind of margin the Thomas Kincaid kits provided. I've found the Art of Disney kits usually have a fairly generous sized piece of aida, but not so much for other brands - Dimensions comes to mind. :x
Arianwen

Post by Arianwen »

Thank you everyone for comments and kind wishes. its been a hard few months but hopefully things are looking up. My granddad passed 3 months and 4 days after my nana, which was hard but they are back together now. I haven't really had time to process any of the past 6 months properly and I am fully expecting it to hit me like a ton of bricks soon.

AlwaysGoofy, me too! I am trying to collect all of these as some of them are showing as unavailable so I don't want to miss out on the chance to own them. My family don't understand that philosophy, they think I should fiinish one before I start another :roll: I have beauty and the beast done, and I have the little mermaid and fantasia for sure. I feel like I might have another one but I dont remember what

DisneyStitcher I use the fabric in the kits usually. I did consider switching to an evenweave for this one as there were so may fractional stitches in beauty and the best that were a pain on aida, but I changed my mind in the end and keep a sharp needle on hand to pierce the fabric if I need to.

There isn't a huge margin on the edges of the fabric but it is enough to work with my snaps, maybe 2 inches. The only time this is a problem is when I am stitching the edges of the fabric as I use a qsnap. If I struggle I'll switch to a hoop but I have also considered basting extra fabric on. If you check my SAL thread on Beauty and the beast here http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... &start=160" target="_blank there is a picture on page 9 of the whole piece, including the margins on the edges
Current WIP's

Spinning/wool craft
Ramie in toureg/sunrise
fccs

Post by fccs »

I'm so sorry for the loss of your grandpa, but I know you can take comfort knowing he and your grandma are together.

Your Lion King is going to be beautiful!
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

So very sorry for your loss, sending prayers your way!
Your lion king looks great already!
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs