Angels stitching

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

Angel

Angels stitching

Post by Angel »

It's been a long time since I made one of these threads...

So lately I've become quite interested in wearable embroidery. I really struggle to carve out time to make wall hangigs these days, but since I make our clothing anyway, embroidering that isn't any quicker but somehow doesn't feel like such an effort either, so I hope this is ok.

So I've recently decided that I need a full Tudor outfit because I'm awesome and I deserve it so I've started work on the first layer which is a chemise. I've planned out a little blackwork design and so far I've completed the first cuff. I've started the second cuff today and I'm waiting on an embroidery frame for the neckline.
Mabel Figworthy

Re: Angels stitching

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Of course you deserve a full Tudor outfit! And you've made a great start on it - I look forward to seeing it grow and develop :wub:
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Angel

Post by Angel »

Aww thank you ^_^ I probably won't go full on historical accuracy, but I think we all deserve clothing that makes us happy.
Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

Beautiful embroidery, and so neat. I am also looking forward to seeing updates and then- one day- the whole outfit. Happy embroidering, Angel!
Lyudmila
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Sounds reasonable to me. Really like the design. And, of course, you'll know that blackwork was also done in red and occasionally blue and very occasionally dark green. Just saying. :P
Mabel Figworthy

Serinde wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:59 pmblackwork was also done in red and occasionally blue and very occasionally dark green. Just saying. :P
Oh great, now she needs to make four sets of detachable cuffs and collars :-)
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Just offering alternatives... :lol:
Angel

Post by Angel »

haha I am aware, but I'm sticking to black and white for two reasons. I love the start contrast of the black on white linen... and I refuse to wear anything that looks vaguely Tudor with anything that could be mistake for a red rose. :lol: I'm thinking of making my kirtle red and contemplating doing the hem in redwork for a subtle look but not sure yet as I'm not yet sure how much of the chemise is embroidered. I did think about putting ome silver threads in my roses too but not sure how comfortable that will be against the skin..
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Ask Santa for this? I have a copy, and it's really good. Library (when they reopen eventually) might also be able to find you a copy via interlibrary loan scheme. And you might find it cheaper online, but in a perfect world I like to support crafters, when possible, if possible.
fccs

Post by fccs »

Podolyanka wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:39 pm Beautiful embroidery, and so neat. I am also looking forward to seeing updates and then- one day- the whole outfit. Happy embroidering, Angel!
Me, too.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

That looks really gorgeous Angel. The whole outfit is going to look really fabulous when it is all comepleted stitching. :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Angel

Post by Angel »

@Serinde
Oh that's going on the wish list for sure. Looks like an awesome book! I have quite a few on how fashion itself has changed and they do mention embroidery but I love a good embroidery specific book!

Thanks guys, I'll be attaching the cuffs as soon as I finish the embroidery so it should stat to come together fairly quickly.
poppy

Post by poppy »

What a wonderful idea! :whoop:
Your flowers are beautiful and super neat, Angel.
Hélène

Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace

Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

poppy wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 5:40 pm What a wonderful idea! :whoop:
Your flowers are beautiful and super neat, Angel.
I agree! Such a clever way of personalising your clothes! :applesauce: :applesauce:
Angel

Post by Angel »

Thank you. The cuffs are finished and just need sewing to the sleeves now. I also, finally, have some elbese clips to attach my mass of fabric to a frame too so I can start the neckline next.

One thing I'd really like to do is plot out a simple, but stylistic dragonfly to also put on all my clothing. I'm not sure which of you told me that poem, but way back when I was a new stitcher someone on this group told me a poem about a dragonfly symbolizing death and rebirth after my grandma passed... The dragonfly has since become our families symbol. So I'd love to be able to add that to our clothing too. But it needs to be something that could be scaled down to blackwork or made bigger for heraldry work.
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

I love dragonfly designs. I expect you might have one in blackwork but I found this site which has Squillions!! :shock:

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALe ... 18&bih=877
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Angel wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 9:29 am
One thing I'd really like to do is plot out a simple, but stylistic dragonfly to also put on all my clothing. I'm not sure which of you told me that poem, but way back when I was a new stitcher someone on this group told me a poem about a dragonfly symbolizing death and rebirth after my grandma passed...
Think it was Mabel. :D
Angel

Post by Angel »

I think it was Mabel, but it was such a long time ago now that I can't remember for sure lol
Mabel Figworthy

Angel, it's probably the story behind my own dragonfly, which I can't remember where I first heard it:

"In a pond there live little underwater creatures who are very sad whenever one of them climbs a stalk up to the surface, because they know it is the end and they will never see him again. One little creature decides to climb up himself, look around, and come back to tell everyone what happens when you get there. But when he gets to the surface he falls asleep, and wakes up to find himself the beautiful dragonfly he was always meant to be. Full of joy he wants to rush back to tell his friends not to fear or grieve about the journey to the surface, but his new dragonfly body can’t go down into the water. One day, though, they will join him and know for themselves the joy of this new life. "
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Angel

Post by Angel »

That's the one. I don't know if I ever told you how much it helped me. How much it continues to help.