ABC Floral Baby Blanket

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

AlwaysGoofy

Re: ABC Floral Baby Blanket

Post by AlwaysGoofy »

It's so nice to see this one again. I looked forward to your updates.

Congratulations on your first house! Marysville (at least that's what your profile says) is a nice place to live. It's close enough but not too close to the city. It's one of the places we've thought about moving to after retirement...unfortunately, retirement is still 20 years away.

I'm looking forward to more updates on your afghan now that you're settled in.
AlwaysGoofy's Blog with Cross Stitching, Quilting, and My Love of All Things Disney: http://goofinoffaroundtheblock.blogspot.com/
CuriousKitty

Post by CuriousKitty »

AlwaysGoofy wrote:It's so nice to see this one again. I looked forward to your updates.

Congratulations on your first house! Marysville (at least that's what your profile says) is a nice place to live. It's close enough but not too close to the city. It's one of the places we've thought about moving to after retirement...unfortunately, retirement is still 20 years away.

I'm looking forward to more updates on your afghan now that you're settled in.

We lucked out and got a nice, quiet neighborhood. The only downside is the train is literally on the other side of our back yard fence, but you get used to it surprisingly fast.

Okay, so N is done!

N:

Last edited by CuriousKitty on Mon May 18, 2020 6:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
kingfisher68(2)

Post by kingfisher68(2) »

Ooohhh, so pretty & neatly stitched. Well done :applesauce: :applesauce:
Izzi

If you believe you can you wil

Finished 2017
Pleasant Row Cottages
Kingfisher & flowers
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

Does look nice. Congratulations.
Glad the move has been good for you & you're not too disturbed by the trains.

When I took a trip across Canada & Alaska in 1987, one night in Vegreville (Alberta) I put my tent next to the hump of ballast by an insignificant little, un fenced, rusty railway line that passed diagonally through the campsite & went to sleep with my head about 6ft from the rail. At 2am the first train came through, and stopped for 15 mins, with 3 off 5000 horse power locos idling next to my head. The horn was blaring continuously. After all wagons of this 3km long train had crashed their buffers and come to a halt, the locos fired up, the engines bellowing and roaring loud enough to drown out the horn (which can be heard for 10-15 miles on either side of the CP Rail line) as it struggled & strained to get moving again. Took 30 minutes for the adrenalin levels to drop so my heart wasn't racing any more and I was nearly ready to get to sleep again. At which point it was time for the next train to repeat the performance, on the hour, every hour, until 6am. I did not sleep well that night!

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
CuriousKitty

Post by CuriousKitty »

richardandtracy wrote:Does look nice. Congratulations.
Glad the move has been good for you & you're not too disturbed by the trains.

When I took a trip across Canada & Alaska in 1987, one night in Vegreville (Alberta) I put my tent next to the hump of ballast by an insignificant little, un fenced, rusty railway line that passed diagonally through the campsite & went to sleep with my head about 6ft from the rail. At 2am the first train came through, and stopped for 15 mins, with 3 off 5000 horse power locos idling next to my head. The horn was blaring continuously. After all wagons of this 3km long train had crashed their buffers and come to a halt, the locos fired up, the engines bellowing and roaring loud enough to drown out the horn (which can be heard for 10-15 miles on either side of the CP Rail line) as it struggled & strained to get moving again. Took 30 minutes for the adrenalin levels to drop so my heart wasn't racing any more and I was nearly ready to get to sleep again. At which point it was time for the next train to repeat the performance, on the hour, every hour, until 6am. I did not sleep well that night!

Regards,

Richard.
I wouldn't either! It's loud enough 30 feet away, I can't imagine 6! I think my heart would burst!
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Can't comment on the railroad experiences so I will just say that the Afghan looks more lovely with every letter!!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
AlwaysGoofy

Post by AlwaysGoofy »

Yay! Another letter finish. How funny about the train being close to your head. We live down the street from a gun range. The shooting during the day has become white noise to us. The only time we notice is when someone comes to visit and asks us about it. Then we're like, oh yeah, I guess you can hear it.
AlwaysGoofy's Blog with Cross Stitching, Quilting, and My Love of All Things Disney: http://goofinoffaroundtheblock.blogspot.com/
Brody0

Post by Brody0 »

This is so beautiful. Who is the pattern designer?
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

You are flying through it for sure and it is looking beautiful :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: .
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

:applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: This is coming along great!! Very pretty!!
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

DahliaDoll

Post by DahliaDoll »

This is looking beautiful! What a great project.
My Blog: Crafting is My Busy-Ness

乁( •_• )ㄏ
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

So good to see this again! :whoop: Incredible progress despite you move! You must be thrilled to have your own house! :dance: :dance: At least with the railway close by there's always something to look at! :lol:
CuriousKitty

Post by CuriousKitty »

So I ran into a problem with O- or rather where O is placed. O is the last letter in this row, all the way to the right (4 across, you can see my previous over-view picture). Previously I have used as many binder clips as I could find to hold the extra fabric in place because there's just so much! There's no way it can tuck safely or neatly into those cute little Q-Snap stretchy frame-thingies. And during moving, I've magically ended up with only one extra-large binder clip, which honestly doesn't do the job anymore. So I started using one of my giant hair clips from when I had hair 3 feet long and thick as my wrist. Then an hour ago I noticed it had started poking through the blanket. As you can see in the photo, the hair clip does not have skinny claws. Fortunately for me, the afghan is very, very forgiving. Just a little TLC to move the weaves back into place. So my next best idea was to use my gridding thread to uh, tie it in place. I've sewn it through the square edges where the afghan is thickest and most easily moved "back" into place.

Anyone got any better ideas? :doh:
Last edited by CuriousKitty on Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

That seems to be working for you and is pretty inventive. When I worked on afghans I just let the fabric fall where it would and only kept the bottom fabric rolled up, which did get pretty warm in the summer (and spring and fall sometimes too :roll: ). I used a large wooden hoop then, but can't think of anything better than what you are using now.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
DisneyStitcher

Post by DisneyStitcher »

I'm all for whatever works for you. Down here we would say "that there is a right fine piece of southern engineering." :lol: They do make quilt clips to manage bulky pieces if you're interested. Below are a few links. Do a search on quilt clips and see if anything that comes up interests you. Fair warning, the jumbo wonder clips are not big enough to hold your roll. They look much bigger in the pictures than they actually are. I've personally used the blue ones, but the orange one with the squared end might work better on your Q-snap.

https://www.amazon.com/Dritz-Quilting-S ... B0018N8ASM" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

or

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wrights-6429 ... 3=&veh=sem" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

or
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Quilter-s-Cl ... 3=&veh=sem" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

Happy Stitching. The afghan is looking GREAT!
poppy

Post by poppy »

Your afghan is beautiful! Your stitches are so neat. :D

( I would never dare showing what the back of my work looks like :oops: )
Hélène

Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace

Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell
tiffstitch

Post by tiffstitch »

That's a good idea, I really don't have any others. Lovely work!
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

That really is coming along beautifully and I love your invention for the bulky ends bits. :lol:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
AlwaysGoofy

Post by AlwaysGoofy »

I'm glad to see you've found a way to keep all that extra bulk from getting in the way. I love the colors of your newest flowers. They are quite lovely.
CuriousKitty

Post by CuriousKitty »

Finally got this wretched letter done. Ugh. O has been as unpleasant as F was. I have to say, taking a look at the upcoming P, for once the flower actually matches the letter. I believe it's Pansies.

Last edited by CuriousKitty on Mon May 18, 2020 6:51 am, edited 2 times in total.