Mrs MBK's HAED Daffodils updated 16 January

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

Mrs Milkybar Kid

Mrs MBK's HAED Daffodils updated 16 January

Post by Mrs Milkybar Kid »

Well after 2 years of stitching HAEDs and 6 small HAED finishes - I have finally decided to tackle a BAP! As some of you know, I was umming and aahhhing over which one to start and decided to go back to my original choice seeing as I had it all kitted up it seemed the sensible and frugal choice! I will be starting Dafodils by Andy Russell
on 28ct Lugana 2 over 1 tent stitch. As this one is so colourful I decided to rotate it with a Mini b&w Zindy Nielsen (Mini Watching it Fly - just in DMCs this time!), so it will be nice to get back to some HAED stitching! I've been putting off starting a HAED BAP, but am now really excited about it, so know the timing must be right for me now my stitchy bug appears to be back!

The top row of pages is all gridded up so hopefully I'll have a page done in a few weeks...........
Last edited by Mrs Milkybar Kid on Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Amanda

Band Sampler (SANQ)
Elle Brodes des Lettres Carmin (Reflets de Soie)
Alice (Aury TM)
Mini Tears of Yesterday (HAED)
Miss Cherry Blossom (Mirabilia)

Instagram @mrsmilkybarkidstitches
rcperryls

Re: Mrs MBK's First HAED BAP!

Post by rcperryls »

:dance: :dance: I am so glad your stitchy bug is back and you sound really happy about it too! It's easy in summer to let him go on vacation but always good to have him back! I love your two projects. I noticed there were a fair amount of purple flowers in your Dafodils piece, but not quite as many as I would have expected. I think it is going to be so much fun to stitch. I love Zindy Nielsen and have mini Moonlight in my stash and even have the fabric for it. One day..... So looking forward to your updates. Are you tenting both projects?

Carole
:wub:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Mrs Milkybar Kid

Yep - definitely tenting both projects! I think the only reason I would switch back to full cross for HAEDs is if I wanted to stitch a QS on 18ct aida to make the finished piece larger in size. I just love the speed of tenting and I've never had any problems with it on the SK and Mini I've completed using it - so hopefully this bodes well for my BAP!
Amanda

Band Sampler (SANQ)
Alice (Aury TM)

Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

That is a gorgeous design Amanda and it will be lots of fun watching your progress on it. What a good idea to work on the b & w one as well, one will help the other along I am sure. :lol: :dance: :dance:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Oriettait

Post by Oriettait »

Great choice! I love the colors in it and the incredible amount of details! I have a couple of Russel's design in my wishlist but I am not sure I will ever tackle what looks like a confetti filled BAP :)
I am looking forward to see your progress :dance:
--
Leave nothing on the beach except footprints
:wip:
HAED World Travel Bookshelf
HAED Tree frog
HAED QS Ladybug
HAED Dragon Rip
Instagram @oriettait
Wen

Post by Wen »

This is going to be amazing! Can't wait to see your progress!
WIP:
Lanarte: Green Winged Ara
Dimensions (petites): Chickadees in Spring
HAED: QS Little Tommy Tittlemouse

Finished:
Lanarte: Protective Care Elephant
stitchingmae

Post by stitchingmae »

Oh so pretty. One of the first HAED I could see myself doing...oh no...LoL
vanessanjf

Post by vanessanjf »

Great design. I am loking forward to seeing your progress :D
Vanessa

A little progress every day adds up to big results

WIP
The adoration of the kings- Golden kite completed
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Yay for the stitchy bug :dance: - enjoy your big HAED (as long as you don't get too big-HAEDed :-))
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Lulu22

Post by Lulu22 »

Looking forward to seeing your start its a very pretty design enjoy! :)
WIPS
Snow
Gamer Nouveau
Clara
Meadow
luvabubble

Post by luvabubble »

Great choice. Can't wait to see how you get on with it.
My Blog: Pull The Other Thread

WIP:
In Rotation:
Majestic Peacock - Dimensions Gold
Autumn - HAED

Out of Rotation:
QS Clara - HAED
Elegance of The Orient-Dimensions Gold
Bridge of Wings - HAED

UFO
Too many
twinkie253

Post by twinkie253 »

What is a tent stitch? I looked it up on Google and it just looks like one leg of the cross stitch. I do this on a row and then go back and do the other leg. Is that what you mean or do you only do one leg instead of the full cross? Does it turn out ok?

Also, what is cross country stitching? I've heard several people mention this. I have heard not to move the thread over more than 4 blocks so I don't know what cross country would be.

Thanks for the help.
Mrs Milkybar Kid

twinkie253 wrote:What is a tent stitch?
Basically a tent stitch looks like half a cross stitch on the front of your work, I choose to stitch the continental tent stitch, so on the back of my work the thread goes diagonally rather than in straight line as it would for a half cross stitch. A lot of HAED stitchers choose this method as it cuts down on the time it takes to stitch designs as technically you are only stitching half the amount! I have stitched HAEDs this way before and have been pleased with the results and speed of stitching.

I'm a former cross country stitcher, I'm now a parker for the most part - but cross country is where you take a colour and go where the thread takes you until it runs out basically. How far you carry your thread is very much a personal thing, obviously you wouldn't want to carry a dark thread over a light coloured section of stitching in case it showed through. When stitching full coverage designs like HAEDs you would spend more time stopping and starting threads than stitching if you didn't carry most of your threads! It very much depends on the design you are stitching IMHO.
Amanda

Band Sampler (SANQ)
Alice (Aury TM)

LadyS

Post by LadyS »

This will look so fantastic!
Laura (aka lsschwartz on HAED BB)

WIPs
Krystal (HAED)
Middle Earth Map (HAED)
Snowman&Friends Stocking (Dimensions)
12 Days of Christmas SAL
Little One (Dimensions)
nachosmiley

Post by nachosmiley »

Yay took the plunge at last I see :D I love that piece...it has been on and off my wish list loads of times and I bet seeing yours being stitched up will probably push me over the edge and I will cave and buy! :lol:

Can't wait to see your first update :D
W.I.P.
My Altair chart 66.11%
Chatelaine Mystery XV-Deep Blue Sea 6/12
HAED Mini Fairy Book 43.55%
HAED Lady in the Meadow 13.07%
Finishes
Duality
Zelda valentine
Beware of the DM
HAED SK Oak King
Magic Dragon
Mrs Milkybar Kid

Normally I would post page updates, but was posting this on the HAED BB for the weekly SAL so thought I would post here too:
First half of page one and I'm loving it despite the confetti - it's been a while since I've had to deal with that! I'm switching to starting Mini Watching It Fly to take it easy.
Amanda

Band Sampler (SANQ)
Alice (Aury TM)

rcperryls

Re: Mrs MBK's HAED Daffodils 14 Nov

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: I'm so glad that you didn't wait for a whole page (not a requirement you know :wink: ) to show us the beautiful progress you have already made. This is a lovely design and you are doing a lovely job of stitching! Looking forward to watching this one progress.

Carole
:wub:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
bookknurd

Post by bookknurd »

Great job! The colors are very lovely. Can't wait to see more of this. :)
**Signature Under Construction**
(will update soon with current WIPs and other info :dance: )
Oriettait

Post by Oriettait »

It looks awesome! even better than in the original picture, so much details! well done :applesauce: :applesauce:
--
Leave nothing on the beach except footprints
:wip:
HAED World Travel Bookshelf
HAED Tree frog
HAED QS Ladybug
HAED Dragon Rip
Instagram @oriettait
twinkie253

Post by twinkie253 »

Thank you so much. That clears things up quite a bit. I am a beginner so I'm still on 14 count aida so tenting wouldn't work for me but I may use it one day. I think I would get confused with parking but I can see the benefits of using that method.
Mrs Milkybar Kid wrote:
twinkie253 wrote:What is a tent stitch?
Basically a tent stitch looks like half a cross stitch on the front of your work, I choose to stitch the continental tent stitch, so on the back of my work the thread goes diagonally rather than in straight line as it would for a half cross stitch. A lot of HAED stitchers choose this method as it cuts down on the time it takes to stitch designs as technically you are only stitching half the amount! I have stitched HAEDs this way before and have been pleased with the results and speed of stitching.

I'm a former cross country stitcher, I'm now a parker for the most part - but cross country is where you take a colour and go where the thread takes you until it runs out basically. How far you carry your thread is very much a personal thing, obviously you wouldn't want to carry a dark thread over a light coloured section of stitching in case it showed through. When stitching full coverage designs like HAEDs you would spend more time stopping and starting threads than stitching if you didn't carry most of your threads! It very much depends on the design you are stitching IMHO.