MaggieM1750's stitchery- I've got photos

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

karen4bells

Re: MaggieM1750's stitchery- update 9 Sept

Post by karen4bells »

MaggieM1750 wrote:I ordered the Santas. Jill, the shop owner had been thinking of placing one last order for Mill Hill kits she had her eye on, and when I asked about these she placed the order. I think she only bought the sets for me, I didn't see any extras. (And.. full price for special orders.. I think each kit was maybe $7-8)
And they were a total impulse purchase.. as I had just ordered a bunch of other Mill Hill kits in maybe July.. I certainly didn't need 6 more! (I'll justify by saying the more I buy now, the less I'll have to buy at crabby shop, or pay shipping on.. so how's that for girl math!! Buying now is saving me money)
But- years ago, my grandmother had painted a set of ceramic santas from around the world. A ceramics studio opened up near her house.. you bought whatever piece you wanted to work on and paid $5 for each painting session. They supplied all paints and glazes, they kept the piece there and fired it when you were done. She made a bunch.. 12-15 of them. And they are big.. maybe 16-18" tall. So these are a nod to her santas. I am not sure when I will work on these. Or if I will give them to grandma, or to mom, to my sister, or keep them myself. I guess it all depends on when I get them done.

So, for that last owl.. thinking maybe orange and golds? Purply reds? Don't want to do another green. We've already got blues, pinks and browns.. whats left?
Thanks for the info on the mill hill santas---I just bought the 2 I really like from a good seller on ebay at just under $8 each shipped. I love your logic on purchasing them and I definitely love the fact that you bought them because they remind you of your grandma's collection of ceramic santas!! I bet they look amazing.
By the way, your canning looks scrumptious!!
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

fccs

Re: MaggieM1750's stitchery- update 8/26

Post by fccs »

MaggieM1750 wrote: I have no clue what that black dot is on the fabric in between the last 2 owls. It was there when I started- thought maybe it would wash out, or it was a fuzzy.. but its in there and its not coming out. So, I'll try a stain stick and if that doesn't work, I was thinking maybe about adding a branch with leaves poking down. Or, maybe I'll just leave it- dark spot and all.
I love the owls!! Maybe you can turn the dot into a little lady bug or butterfly...wait, do owls eat ladybugs and butterflies? Hmm....
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
tiffstitch

Post by tiffstitch »

Very cute owls! And wow.. sorry you had to do the canning in such hot weather, but wow!!
Rose

Post by Rose »

Oh it is good to see those berries being stitched. They were so sad just setting in the mag. Glad they are working for your towel!!!!!!

Those canned goods are so awesome!!!!! :applesauce: :applesauce:
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Borgessa

Post by Borgessa »

I love the owls. it is adorable. Loved the snow mans nose too :)
Carole

Post by Carole »

You've got some gorgeous projects going on there. Obviously I love your Owls :wink:

The strawberries are going to look lovely and I can't wait to see the AAN project. I have a couple of those on my wishlist.

I'm in awe of the canning :D
Current WIPs
Precious Dreams
Crazy cat lady
Previous WIPs
Previous WIPs

rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: WOW! The owls are great, the strawberries look scrumptious and your new stash is wonderful. I love the Santas especially. Did I read it correctly that they are designed by Jim Shore?? I have several of his cat statuettes that I received as gifts from my husband over the years and I adore them. They are clever and beautiful.

Your canning is amazing. And in the heat too. It all sounds so yummy. Your family and friends must be delighted with such gifts. If you have any jams left and need a place for them to be safe and loved I will gladly pm you my address. :wink:

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
MaggieM1750

Post by MaggieM1750 »

Thank you all for the encouragement and kind words. Its fun to share what I am working on.. It just takes me forever to actually take and post photos. I really need to be better at that.

The Santas are Jim Shore designs. A brand new series released by Mill Hill.
One of them, Santa is holding onto a cat (I'll probably change it so he's holding onto a candle). I really like that each of his coats are different.. and they look like quilt patterns. I think they will stitch up nicely.

My family eagerly awaits my canning! I can't show up to a family event empty handed.. they might kick me out! Its usually fun to do (unless its 90 outside and you have a bunch of fruit that has thawed and needs to be canned in 3 days. My air con was working overtime!) My cousin calls me the farmers wife.. except I am not married.. and I live in the city! Ha!! (but its kind of true.. now I need to find me a city farmer :wink: )
When I was visiting my sister in June.. I made a batch of strawberry jam at her house.. 10 jars. There are 3 adults and a 2 yr old in their house. Last Skype session.. I was told I need to go up there again because they only had 2 jars left. 2!! So, now I am working out how exactly I can ship a case up there.. I am a bit afraid of the shipping estimate.

Last night, I was working on pulling oranges and golds for the last owl.. no final decision yet.. but I'll post when I figure it out.
Amanda G

Post by Amanda G »

You've got some great work here, those colours on the owls are lovely. I love the mixture of your different projects.
Are you going to stitch "labels" for your canning goods? :D (When you have a moment spare!!) And I love the fact you are known as Auntie Strawberry :lol:
MaggieM1750

Post by MaggieM1750 »

Hahaha.. stitched labels.. ahh that would be no. It would be nice.. but quite the undertaking.
I am happy if I write on the jars what the contents are. And even that takes me a few weeks to do. Just last night I got the final box off my kitchen table and downstairs for storage. I don't worry about labeling green beans or pears.. they just get the date written on the top. But jams tend to look similar. Tough to tell what is straight strawberry and what is peach-strawberry. I put them in a different style of jar.. so I know, but no one else would. Chili starter and spaghetti sauce look similar too- so they get a label.
charmagne_capalad

Post by charmagne_capalad »

Love your stitchery projects ! :wub: .... and all those preserves - jams & everything! :applesauce: :wub: :applesauce:
charmagne
"As we count our stitches...let us not forget to count our blessings..."
@mayneideas on instagram
stitchingmae

Post by stitchingmae »

Great progresses and your jam pictures made me drool on here just like they did on facebook.
MaggieM1750

Re: MaggieM1750's stitchery- update 23 Sept

Post by MaggieM1750 »

Here is one of grannys Santas that she painted. And the reason I bought the Jim Shore series from Mill Hill.

I was up there over the weekend (she lives 2 hrs away) working on a project photographing all the pieces in her china cabinet.. and getting the story behind each piece. She has a mix of pieces.. things that were given to her as a wedding gift, some that were her mothers, some that were my grandpas mother, things my grandpa picked up when he was traveling (he drove semi trucks of milk for quite a while) or gifts when other people were traveling. And things she bought over the years just because she liked them. A mash up of stories. But.. the kicker is she never uses any of it!! While everything has a story- nobody but her knows it.
I bought a photo album with 2 photos per page. 1 slot has the photos of the piece- front, any makers marks or pattern info. The other slot has an index card that lists how many she has (dishes and stemware) and what the story is. She'll be working on filling out the cards for a while. We didn't even get started on the Christmas dishes.. that will be a whole other album! And another weekend to record it all.

BIG project! And, since we had basically emptied the cabinet, we washed everything before we put it back. Took us all day Saturday just photos and cleaning. Developed photos and organized them in the book on Sunday. THANK YOU 1 hour photo developing!!! (My aunt came over on Sunday.. saw what we did and wants my help doing that with her china cabinet... so that will be some time after Christmas)

Annnddd.. when I was showing her my swimsuit project.. took it out of the frame.. and realized I was stitching it sideways!! Uggghhh. I could rip out what I have done. But I decided to do it as 2 lines of 3 swimsuits. So, a square design instead of all in a line.

As well as a photo of the last owl I've stitched. Chose colors at my stitch group earlier in the month- group decision, we went with an orange. Just need to do more of the branch, and a few more leaves.

rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I love what you are helping your grandmother with. So many stories are lost in most families and your album project is going to be a real treasure for all of you. I have so many things that were my grandmother's, and only vague ideas of where they are from. What a wonderful way to spend a weekend. I have turned pieces around also, but never have had the luxury of turning the fabric, since the two I can think of were on afghans.

I love your owls! They are so adorable.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
curly sue

Post by curly sue »

What a wonderful idea about the treasures in the china cabinet! The hand painted Santa is delightful. Most of the older generation in my family is gone. Now and then I think of a question about the past and there is no one to ask!

I love your owls, my daughter used owls for decor for her latest baby.
stitchingmae

Post by stitchingmae »

:applesauce: :applesauce:
Wonderful updates and s wonderful time spent with your grandmother!!
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Maggie your stitching projects are awesome and its going to be fun to see the Santa bead kits made up later.

WOW all that canning (we call is preserving) reminds me of the cases of fruit I used to buy and put down for the winter. It always gives a lot of satisfaction to see rows of jars all glowing with rich colours ready for the time when the contents are not available in the shops.

Fabulous updates. Thanks for sharing it all.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

Beautiful updates Maggie, and I'm so glad you spent such quality with your grandma---truly a weekend filled with much love which you will always treasure!!
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

Rose

Post by Rose »

Lovely work. The owl's look great and the swimsuits as well. That Santa is very nice and all that work sounds amazing!!!!!!! :shock: :applesauce:
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Lovely snowman, cute owls, and I am so looking forward to seeing that AAN sunflower stitched up!

As for the preserves, well :shock: :shock: :shock: wow!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page