Castle SAL

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

Dazbo666

Castle SAL

Post by Dazbo666 »

OK so maybe I'm being a bit of a sucker for punishment, but I've had the idea of keeping a number of small projects on the go, so that i can have a break from the more major designs...

I had this cross stitch book for Christmas, but haven't stared any of them yet...
...so I'm planning on getting frames for the Cardiff Castle and Castell Coch designs for my other half.

It's also an opportunity for me to introduce myself to evenweave for the first time, as well as having something constructive to do during any particularly quiet night shifts at work :wink:

I'll update with progress pics whenever possible, but with other projects on the go, I'm thinking it's likely to be slow going... Watch this space
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

See my Stitching Projects - LOTS of project pics updated 12 July '09

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...
it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

I like the Harlech Castle one -- but really they're all going to be lovely to stitch.

Good luck with the evenweave -- once you've got the counting sorted it really isn't difficult, and for fractional stitches it is positively easier than aida!

As for trying to do five projects at the same time, well, I suppose we've all done it occasionally; why, some of us do it all the time... *blushes guiltily*
Dazbo666

Post by Dazbo666 »

Mabel Figworthy wrote:I like the Harlech Castle one -- but really they're all going to be lovely to stitch.

Good luck with the evenweave -- once you've got the counting sorted it really isn't difficult, and for fractional stitches it is positively easier than aida!

As for trying to do five projects at the same time, well, I suppose we've all done it occasionally; why, some of us do it all the time... *blushes guiltily*
The patterns have quarter and half stitches, and what appear to be vertical half stitches?? and from my limited experience, it looks like they'd be quite difficult if I'd used Aida...
I may try to make a start on one of them tonight :wink:

~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

There's some lovely designs there Daz.
I've not used any fabric but aida yet, and I've had a few projects with fractional stitches now. I found them ok on the aida once you get to grips with them.
I look forward to seeing these progress. :D
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:
:choc: Forget love! I'd rather fall in CHOCOLATE! :wub:

Current :wip:
With Faith :dance:
Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
Dazbo666

Post by Dazbo666 »

I've done designs with the occasional fractional stitches, but I can see that they'd probably have been easier with evenweave.
I actually prefer using Aida too, but I'm just curious to "expand my horizons" and find out for myself how easy it would be to use evenweave too.

~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

I'll be interested to see how you get on with it Daz as I have never done any other fabrics but might expand into it eventually. So I'll be watching these with interest now, to get your opinion on using them v aida.
:D
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:

Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
Rose

Post by Rose »

It is wonderful to have all these projects to do. I would not know where to start. I try to only have one project at a time, but of course that is just me. Good luck on all of these, they look like a lot fun.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

They look really good, I love castles.
Do the stitches look like normal crosses, but flattened, either horizontally or vertically? some refer to them as squashed stitches.
Dazbo666

Post by Dazbo666 »

Yes, some of the stitches (mainly highlighting on turrets or edges of walls etc) are squashed vertically.

However after a frustrating test run on some 28ct evenweave last night, it almost get to the point of me throwing my scrolling frame thru the window.
I really am not getting on very well with stitching on this evenweave. :evil: I think I may well postpone the castles until I can get some 18ct Aida... or use some 16ct Aida that I have as spare from the Titanic project.

mags

Post by mags »

I haven't tried evenweave myself so I can't help other than pointing you in this direction (para 18 )

http://www.mismatch.co.uk/cross.htm

There are probably other helpful ideas under our hints and tips section.
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
Dazbo666

Post by Dazbo666 »

Thanks for the pointer - Plenty of useful info there...
I'll persevere with some evenweave test pieces, but I think I'll probably stick with fine count Aida for my projects for now

Genevieve

Post by Genevieve »

Do persevere with the evenweave, Daz. I still use aida for quick projects, but I do like evenweave for a finer finish. I don't know how you are counting, but I know it often says to count over two threads. I found it easier to count squares of nine holes, and I can work quite fast now. The more practise I have had the easier it has been to 'see' the squares. This link may help:

http://www.needlework-tips-and-techniqu ... titch.html

The castles are lovely, by the way. I'm sure they'll look great when they're finished.
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

I have to agree with Genevieve, Daz -- I use fine aida as well and really like it but the background you get with evenweave, especially if a lot of it is uncovered, gives quite a different effect. I also count holes rather than threads and am practically the same speed on evenweave as aida, I would think. Also I like the soft flowing feeling of evenweave, especially jobelan and the fabric flair evenweaves (although I know some people don't like the shine).

Good luck!

oh, and remember -- if you really find you hate evenweave and it irritates you to use it, chuck it in a corner (or better still, send it to one of us :-)) and use aida; after all, we do this stitiching stuff because we enjoy it!
Dazbo666

Post by Dazbo666 »

Mabel Figworthy wrote:....if you really find you hate evenweave and it irritates you to use it, chuck it in a corner (or better still, send it to one of us :-)) and use aida; after all, we do this stitiching stuff because we enjoy it!
Well I've decided that I'm really not enjoying working with this evenweave, which is really defeating the object of why I started stitching in the first place....

However, I'll be keeping one or two small test pieces, even if only to claim that I haven't completely given up with evenweave, but I'll gladly send the rest to whoever wants it.

One large piece approx 20in x 15in

One smaller piece approx 11in x 10in

Colour is apprently "3865, off white"

....or swap for a similar sized piece of 16ct or 18ct Aida ??
PM your snail mail address to me - First come, first served??

Dazbo666

Post by Dazbo666 »

...for the record I'm probably going to be stitching the castle(s) with 16ct Aida that ialready have in my stash :wink:

~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

Aww, at least you've given it a go Daz.
What was it you didn't like with the evenweave?
I'm curious as I've never tried it.
Just want to know why you prefer the aida over the evenweave.
:D

Looking forward to seeing the castles anyhow.

Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
Dazbo666

Post by Dazbo666 »

The evenweave just feels very flimsy compared to Aida, which I expected...
but the very fine weave of the fabric, and having to start stitches in specific areas of the weave etc...
it all seems like quite a hard effort to get used to stiching with it, when I just want to sit down and enjoy a stitching session without having to "work" at it

As I mentioned, I'll keep some sample pieces to maybe have another go at a later date, but for now I'll stick to Aida

~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

I love aida myself as well and I'm really enjoying trying different counts and colours. So I think I'll be sticking with that for awhile. I've only seen pics of evenweave and not tried it. The weave/square you stitch looked a bit complicated to me. :oops:

Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
mags

Post by mags »

I'm an aida gal also for the moment till I've got some of my current projects done and also until I've got myself some glasses so that I can see finer counts. :roll:

I'm sure there will be a few takers for your evenweave though Daz :D
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
Dazbo666

Post by Dazbo666 »

and hopefully I may have a few initial photos of one of the castle designs, cos I'll be bringing my small scroll frame in to work whenever I'm on night shifts :lol: