Not cross stitch -- sorry...

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

Mabel Figworthy

Not cross stitch -- sorry...

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Because I wanted to try and learn different techniques and because I'm very much a let's-get-stuck-in-and-I'll-work-out-what-to-do-as-I-go-along sort of person (it's how I learnt calligraphy too -- I haven't the patience for a course, I'm afraid...) I bought two ribbonwork kits on eBay, one a very simple beginners kit, one a bouquet of lilacs using ribbons and french knots and things.

Did the first kit, liked the idea, then got my teeth into the lilacs (metaphorically speaking), though I did replace the french knots (of which I think it has about half a million) (well, lots anyway) with colonial knots.

And so here it is so far -- no ribbon yet, that's the next stage :-). Apologies for it not being cross stitch, but at least it's needlework!

Last edited by Mabel Figworthy on Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mags

Post by mags »

I'm sure we are all interested in other forms of needlework - I used to do a lot of embroidery. I love the picture you are doing - can't wait to see the ribbonwork :D

I'm not sure I could do it myself as I feel there might be a bit of tugging going on when pulling the ribbon through the fabric and my hands just aren't up to that :(
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

Oh that's lovely.

I understand about posting non-cross stitch stuff but it's fun to see what everyone else is working on. Maybe Rose and Alex can give us a stickied file for non-cross stitch. It might give everyone other ideas of things to do.
agi

Post by agi »

This is really beautiful.
And I also think nobody is going to get hurt if you show other types of needlework. There was a thread on blackwork a few months ago and it sounded so interesting, I jumped into it, and made my first blackwork piece. Others planned, too.
So do not worry! :D :) :lol:
Agi

"The world, as a colourful knot of threads, has turned into a memory, and now you cannot be sure whether it was real."
(Géza Ottlik, Hungarian writer)

My blog
sammy_v

Post by sammy_v »

I agree its lovely, well done. I dont think anyone will mind as it is still needle work after all.
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

It may not be cross stitch but it's very pretty!

It's great to see other styles of needlework! I can't see a problem with it! We have Hardanger and Blackwork here. :D :D
Look forward to the Ribbons being added.
Rose

Post by Rose »

THe picture is wonderful and the colors are looking very pretty.

As for cross stitch or not cross stitch I put up picture a while back of the afghans I was working on. This is an SAL section noticing said specifically cross stitch so if you have it WIP then I think it fits in here.

If any one would like to contact Alex he said he was going to be doing an upgrade/maintenance in a month or so, so that would be the time to add a section for Other Crafting if you really think you would want that.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
suehoward59

Post by suehoward59 »

Hi i think it would be a good idea to add a new section for people to show other types of neesdlework as i have had to put mine on WIP but it would be a good help too and you never know it might give us all some added inspiration.. sue xx

Tell your loved ones you love them you never know what is round the corner

http://www.freewebs.com/suziebear59/" target="_blank
sammy_v

Post by sammy_v »

I think its ok in this section tbh as its all WIP but thats my opinon. :D
Mabel Figworthy

OK, the leaves are done -- gosh it's difficult to keep the back of the work neat!

Hope to finish the flower petals later tonight; better cook dinner first, though, or there'll be protests...

Last edited by Mabel Figworthy on Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mabel Figworthy

Next step -- the yellow flowers. 3 pink ones and a blue bow to go!

Last edited by Mabel Figworthy on Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
agi

Post by agi »

It looks really well... well done, Mabel! :lol:
Agi

"The world, as a colourful knot of threads, has turned into a memory, and now you cannot be sure whether it was real."
(Géza Ottlik, Hungarian writer)

My blog
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

It's looking great. What stitches exactly are you using there, I'm afraid I don't know all the different embroidery stitches generally, so I can't recognise them, but I do like seeing it progress. It really is lovely.
:D
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:
:choc: Forget love! I'd rather fall in CHOCOLATE! :wub:

Current :wip:
With Faith :dance:
Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
Mabel Figworthy

Pink flowers added! Threadbear, the floss stitches are stemstitch for the, er, stems :-) and colonial knots for the lilacs and the flower centres, and the ribbon stitches so far are all lazy daisy -- the last bit is going to be the blue bow which is attached with little tacking stitches, only I'm not quite sure what tacking stitches are (shows you what an expert I am), so I'll just use as tiny stitches as possible.

Last edited by Mabel Figworthy on Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mags

Post by mags »

It's very pretty 8)
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
sammy_v

Post by sammy_v »

Looks great.
Mabel Figworthy

It's a shame the kit had been in its original packaging for so long that it had become rather creased; I managed to iron the deep creases out of the fabric, and the creases in the ribbons didn't really matter that much with the lazy daisy stitches, but I'm afraid it is rather visible in the bow, which is really just sewn on. Oh well, it's been a very useful and enjoyable learning experience nonetheless -- and I'll just see how it looks after a careful wash.
Last edited by Mabel Figworthy on Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Angel

Post by Angel »

That's so pretty Mabel
sammy_v

Post by sammy_v »

Its wonderful, i cant see no crease in it.
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

This is lovely. It's really working up nicely.