In betweenie!

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

~threadbear~

In betweenie!

Post by ~threadbear~ »

Well I finally finished my son's sampler. It is a bit basic and nothingy I know. But I couldn't find anything to fit the occassion, so I kinda made it up as I went along :oops:
I started off with the scripture, the word baptism and the date in one gold box. Then decided to put the green scroll bits at the top, as I had a blank space. Then I didn't like the bare bit in the middle, so I just did some stitches in the gold and because I wasn't 100% on the finished effect, sewed 5 little gold coloured beads on it. Then the blank space at the bottem. I wanted an open Bible with rays, but couldn't find a small free pattern, so in the end I just made it up, but as you can see, it's not very good.
Then I decided to make the box more of a frame, which I did, then thought it needed something in it. But I couldn't go right round as the amounts were uneven for the design. So I made the corners. I didn't like the bare corners, so I searched for a corner design and then altered it slightly to make it fit ... and there is the end result!
It screams amature, but I wanted to give him a keepsake to mark the occasion of his baptism for him.
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh23 ... CT0101.jpg

Anyhow, now I'm going to do an inbetween project.
My next big one I would like to do an owl on black aida (never used that before) for my Mum, and I have a little wedding sampler to do and also a card for my son if he passes his piano exam.

So this 'inbetweenie' is the dolphin from a colour block chart. Not keen on the chart, but the dolphin looks very simple, so it will be a nice little project to keep me going while I gather the items needed for my owl project.

Will post a progress picture later tonight, as I only have a few stitches at the moment.
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:
:choc: Forget love! I'd rather fall in CHOCOLATE! :wub:

Current :wip:
With Faith :dance:
Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

It screams CLASS to me Threadbear :D It's lovely, well done :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

Thanks Jilly. :D I've never done anything without a chart, so it was a bit daunting to be honest.
I searched magazines for patterns such as the green scrolly bits and the edges and then just adapted to fit as best I could.

I'm unsure about the frame colour, do you think black? or maybe gold? or any other suggestions?
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:

Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

I must say I would go for Black, to really set off the gold in the design, rather than compete with it.
Take it to where you get your frames and test it in a few, you may end up with something very different :D
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

Yes, that's a good idea. I'll try that. Thanks!
:D

Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
sammy_v

Post by sammy_v »

WOW thats fantastic, Jilly is rite it really does scream out class and i also agree with a black fame to. U have worked really hard on it and it really shows to well done!!!!!
mags

Post by mags »

Well I think it is wonderful and not at all amateurish 8)

Well done :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

Oh thank you both!

I am a bit unsure of it as I wanted to give him something special, but you are all helping me feel alot better about it, so thank you all. :D

Yes, the more I try and imagine it, the more black seems the best frame colour to use.

Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
sammy_v

Post by sammy_v »

It is special hun, u took ur time to do it, it was made with love for someone u love. Its from you so trust me it will be very very very special to him!
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

Thank you sammy.
:D :D :D :D

Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
Rose

Post by Rose »

As the others have already said and I agree 1oo% there is nothing amature about this piece it looks like it came right out of a book. The whole thing is just amazing and the books looks great. We are so hard on our own work but it is wonderful he will love it.

:applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Very Special! A Wonderful keepsake! :D :D
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Why in the world are you apologising for this lovely piece? You have done brilliantly, and I'm sure it will be a treasured family heirloom.
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

Thank you!
You are all very, very kind.

Serinde, I guess it is because I so wanted to do something special from me to him. I couldn't find anything to fit the occasion and so had to do it in my head as I went along. With it being such a mish mash of things, it sort of looks that way to me and I felt a bit embarrassed to show it.

but thank you all :D

Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

Hmm, well I was going to wait until I got a bit more done than these few stitches, but anyhow I seem to have got sidetracked 'crimebusting' :oops: (I'm playing my son's DS Apollo Justice game).

So I will hopefully get another update with a bit more on my 'inbetweenie' done soon, but this is the start of it anyhow.
Not much except a few stitches at the moment. I don't think it will take long though, it's an easy basic design I think.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh23 ... CT0102.jpg

Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
mags

Post by mags »

Well you've made a start - it is easy to get sidetracked :?

I haven't picked up my stitching since the plumbing incident - am now busy sorting stuff :roll:
mags

WIPs:
various bits and bobs
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

Well, I did make a start. I had a visit from Mr Frog tonight :frog: . I haven't had a visit for awhile, so I guess I was due one, but I ended up taking out those stitches and all this evenings work as well, so here I am back at Zilch'o!
:ribbit: :boohoo: :ribbit:
Anyhow, I'm not sure if it's the horrible block chart to blame or my crimebusting, but at anyrate, I'm going to have to get started once more!

:ratherbe:

Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
Rose

Post by Rose »

Oh that really sucks. I hate it when I make a start and then figure out it was the wrong color or the wrong count. I feel for you but be persistant. :P
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
mags

Post by mags »

Oh naughty :frog:
mags

WIPs:
various bits and bobs
coffee_freak

Post by coffee_freak »

naughty frog!

the baptism design is wonderful! i think you did a great job!!
If you get a comment of a :smile:,I must be holding my :coffee:
http://coffeecupcakescrossstitch.blogspot.com/
WIP:
Joan Elliot Spring Fairy
Cupcakes
Snuggle Up
2012 HD's
Bohemia
Fairy Friend