Angels Second Project

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

Angel

Angels Second Project

Post by Angel »

This one's a little bigger and a lot more complex with stiches Ive never heard of before, thankfully my magazine shows me how to do them all so it should all be good. The quarter stitches really boggled me for a while but hey... may as well jump in there hey?

So yeah, this one os for my living room. It's got a lot of the evil gold thread and my magazine says it's intermediate level and 50 hours... Maybe I jumped into the deep end barely knowing how to swim again. Here's hoping I don't drown :P

This is what it will look like:

It's not too soon to post another of these is it?

Well I've been at it a while and not much progress in the big picture. I've been working on it all night and this is all I've got, looks like it'll last me a while :P

Wish me luck. This is like SO much bigger than Lickle Ted. (This covers two pages, Lickle ted covered like a bit of a page).
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

Oh that looks great! I love the gold thread, is it hard to work with?
I'll be following your progress on this with interest, looks like you've made a good start at anyrate!
:D
coffee_freak

Post by coffee_freak »

not too soon to post one..some people have a bunch going at once..lol
If you get a comment of a :smile:,I must be holding my :coffee:
http://coffeecupcakescrossstitch.blogspot.com/
WIP:
Joan Elliot Spring Fairy
Cupcakes
Snuggle Up
2012 HD's
Bohemia
Fairy Friend
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

Hey CF, I resemble that remark!

Good luck Angel. Just remember you don't learn without pushing yourself.
Angel

Post by Angel »

There's so much gold thread and yeah it's a lot harder to work with than normal thread, but cross-stitching with it is a lot easier than when I was back stitching with it. So it's not too bad. I think I maybe need to get some of that thread heaven stuff I keep hearing about.

Woo I'm glad it's not too soon to post another one. I go on a forum where in certain sections you're not allowed more than one thread so now I'm a little bit nervous whenever I make two threads in a section somewhere :P

Thankyou Lacemaker. *pushes self* I'm using one of those hoops this time as the aida's pretty long. It's wonderful for keeping the material taunt...although my dad had to put the material in after ten minutes laughing at my attempts :P
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

Sometimes the hoops can be pains but they are worth it when you need them.

On the metalics, I find the Rainbow Gallery Petite Treasure or Treasure Braid is much easier to work with than the Krienik. I hate the DMC and pretty much only have it for my lace making. I think it went sailing across the room when I tried it on the last Christmas Tree skirt installment. It's just so stiff and unyielding.
Angel

Post by Angel »

*is using DMC*
The only metallic thread I can get is DMC. Plus they have the biggest variety of :P
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

Just keep it in mind as you get more into this and expand your investigations on the web. Rainbow Gallery and Kreinik offer lots of shades and lots of thicknesses. With your artistic side I can see you getting into the RG line. They have lots of different types of thread too, fuzzy, metalics, opalescent, silk, etc.
Angel

Post by Angel »

I don't know any UK based places that sell thread otherwise I'd do all my shopping online.

Ooooh opalescent threads? They sound so pretty! And ideal for wedding cards.
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

I just checked out ebay too and there are several sellers with RG listed. Let see what I can find in the UK area.
mags

Post by mags »

Sew and So are very good - excellent service.

http://www.sewandso.co.uk/cat27.html
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

Hi Mags, you beat me there.

Angel, here's the link to the European shops that carry RG
http://www.rainbowgallery.com/Results.CFM

Their webpage is great and has very good through information. I took a one day class a few years ago that covered all their threads and their uses. It was pretty amazing and they also gave full samples of each type.
Angel

Post by Angel »

Cool, thank you both. Ill have a look.
Rose

Post by Rose »

The pattern you have pick looks great. Some very interesting colors and it is always go to push yourself to the next challenge. Mistakes are how we learn. The thread heaven is a life saver for metallics. I tend to us the Krenik metallics as for me they work the best.

Never fear about to many post if that was a problem here I would have been booted off lonnnnng time ago. :o
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Angel

Post by Angel »

Thank you ^_^

I still don't know what thread heaven actually is, but a lot of people have recomended it.

hehe, that's good to know.
Rose

Post by Rose »

Thread Heaven is a product similar to Bee's Wax. It helps the metallic thread run through the fabric smoother. Most of your stores that sell cross stitch products will have thread heaven or you can get it on line with most of the shops.
Angel

Post by Angel »

Ah ok, thank you. Does it come in a bottle of something? *always helps to know what to look for.
Rose

Post by Rose »

Mine came in a blue square box.
Angel

Post by Angel »

Ahhhh Ok...and oooh, just as you say it I'm exploring the sew and so website and I've found some on there :P I'll deffinatly order some and see what happens :P

Oooh the RG line has some interesting threads too. Your right Lacemaker, I could find myself falling in love :P

*so bookmarking the sew and so page*

**has to wait till wednesday*

Man I should not be allowed to shop! Threads, kits, accessories...all in the basket.
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: