~threadbear~ ... The challenge! Can this one be completed?

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

~threadbear~

~threadbear~ ... The challenge! Can this one be completed?

Post by ~threadbear~ »

As I said in my intro thread, I have never managed to complete a larger piece of cross stitch, I always go wrong and end up giving up on it.
Anyhow, ever hopeful, I'm starting again and hoping this time to actually finish this one.
I thought I'd start a WIP thread here to hopefully keep myself going and to scream for help when necessary!! (Probably alot!)

Here's the picture I'm hoping to finish up with:
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh23 ... 0005xx.jpg

Here's my work so far:
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh23 ... 0006xx.jpg

Any comments or help appreciated!
:D
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

If I was working on the project would aim to complete the boy so that one of the main subjects is done, I find it looks like you have got further once you have a focal point to your work, sea and sky seem to take forever.
Jilly
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

Thanks for the tip Jilly. I think you're right, I probably would have felt like I had achieved more that way.
I'm a bit put off at the moment by the girls leg, which I started. It seems quite dark and looks more like she's been spending time in the mud than the sea!! :lol:

*soldiers on* :?
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I agree with Jilly. And then the sand and sea stitching can be a break from the blue shorts or straw hat. That way might stave off tedium.

Additionally, I always find it more tedious to work from the centre towards the top of the design, and have been known to turn both the design and the fabric upside down... to give the illusion of working top to bottom.

Re girl's leg: check your colours.
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

I think I've chosen the wrong colours ... They are quite hard to match to the descriptions :(
Think I'll have to stop for awhile and look them over again. Its that leg, it can't be right can it ... its too dark.

*sighs* ... this is so par for the course with me ... I really don't want to give up this time though.

:oops:
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

Looking at the photo and your work I think is does look too dark, I hate it when a kit gives you a description along the lines of "dark purple brown" I made that up, but you get how much it bugs me :evil:
Good luck.
Jilly
coffee_freak

Post by coffee_freak »

yes we will poke and prod you till we see a finish!! lol..

good start so far!
If you get a comment of a :smile:,I must be holding my :coffee:
http://coffeecupcakescrossstitch.blogspot.com/
WIP:
Joan Elliot Spring Fairy
Cupcakes
Snuggle Up
2012 HD's
Bohemia
Fairy Friend
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Sort out all your colours and then count the number of lengths. Does your kit give you any indication of the number of lengths for each colour you ought to have?

I HATE it when kits don't presort for you, especially when the colours are very similar in shading. :evil: :evil:

If it's any consolation, I know I've gone colour blind before now... :shock: :ribbit:
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

LOL!! @ coffee freak ...
Yes, please do keep on at me and make me finish this. :lol:

Ok, have removed mud from girls leg, and have re sorted all the colours. They are very similar and its hard to be sure I'm right as the picture on the pack is much lighter than the actual threads.

Anyhow, have begun again and although it's still darker than i would have thought it should be, it's the nearest match to the pack picture I can get. The others all seem to be accounted for and this one has the correct amount of lengths in the pack.

I agree, if only they had presorted the colours it would be alot easier!
Anyhow, am back to stitching once more.
I'll take another picture once her leg is in place again.
Thanks for the support!
Rose

Post by Rose »

I have seen this picture someplace just not sure where it was at. I like it it has some very good subject matter but not to terrible detailed. A few confetti stitches but mostly blocks of colors. Keep going we really like to see how things are progressing.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Genevieve

Post by Genevieve »

Keep going, Threadbear. Once the picture begins to take shape I always feel I'm half-way there. I don't know how much time you have to stitch during the day, but I find it helps to say to myself 'I will stitch for an hour'. I then feel quite satisfied that I'm making progress and often find that I carry on much longer than that. I do that with lots of things - particularly gardening, which I hate! Looking forward to seeing your progress. :D
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

I can't wait for gardening season to start, I'll be over in the spring Genevieve :lol:
Plays havoc with stitching hands though, blending filament is a nightmare when I get my gardener hands.
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

Okay, here is the updated picture. As you can see the leg is still quite dark, but it's the only colour that is similar with the correct amount of lengths, so it must be right. :?

I have also thrown in the spade base, and two arms while I was there. I plan to get started on the blue shorts or straw hat next, as you've suggested.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh23 ... 0010xx.jpg

I don't generally get alot of time for stitching. I teach my children at home and so it will tend to be mostly only late at night or early morning. It's a good idea to plan to do at least an hour though, because then I should see something accomplished.

Thanks again for all the comments, its really helped!
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

How do they list the threads? is it by number or name, I have a few AOY charts and most of the dark leg bits are done in dmc 407 clay brown (it used to be 3773) it is quite pink under light.
Jilly
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

Hi Jilly,
It is 'medium desert sand' 3773.
I chose those threads as they are the only ones of that type of colour that I have 2 lengths of (as required).

I have tried to take a picture of the threads to show you the colours.
Apart from these, I also have white and a dark silver grey threads, but they are on a diff card again and aren't anything like that colour of course..

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh23 ... 00x10x.jpg

I am using the last two for the legs (left hand side). the one I think is 3773 is the second from left.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh23 ... 0011xx.jpg

I dont know how clear or helpful the pictures are. Does it look to you as if I have chosen the correct one to match your thread colour?

Thanks for all your help.
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

It does look the same.
It does look pinkish on the picture you have taken of the threads. the rest do not look like they would be the ones.
Jilly
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

Yes, it has a sort of pinky look to it, but I still think it looks too dark to be honest. Then again, ALL the threads are darker than on the pack picture that came with it.

I was relieved you thought it was that one too ... I had visions of having to undo it all again, lol.

I'm sorry for being a pain. The thing is ... it can only get worse! :lol: hahaha. Well, that is, until I either give up (the usual thing that happens) or I finally complete it! :shock:
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

You have not been a pain at all, I am confident that you will complete it :D
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

Thanks!
I'll certainly give a good try. :D

I would love to finally complete a larger project. Well, larger to me. After looking in the galleries mine is very easy.

Will update the pictures again once I have completed some more. (Hopefully!).
Angel

Post by Angel »

Good luck completing your big picture.