Idioms And Their Origins BINGO

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

Linda Rose

Idioms And Their Origins BINGO

Post by Linda Rose »

Calling all competitors! Idioms and Their Origins BINGO is ready to play! Prize will be a US$15.00 (or equivalent) gift certificate to your favourite on line store. Winner will host the next BINGO! Play will begin soon after we have a minimum of 4 participants, hopefully by October 24th. PM me you choice of ten from the 30 listed below. Then get ready for some friendly banter and fun across borders, oceans and continents.

FYI - An idiom is a group of words in a fixed order that has a figurative meaning quite different from the literal meanings of each word on its own. Most are derived from historical events and legends; some have come to us through literature, religion and advertising. At times the connection to their history is easily grasped. Some, however, have become so commonplace, that we have lost touch with their roots. In this IDIOMS BINGO we will look at some of the more common phrases many of us have grown up with and make our way back to their origins to discover whether or not they continue to be used as they were in the past.

Break a leg! to one and all.

1 A dish fit for the gods
2 A la mode
3 A New York minute
4 All tarred with the same brush
5 Bite off more than you can chew
6 Bite the bullet
7 Blood is thicker than water
8 Butter someone up
9 By hook or by crook
10 Cat got your tongue?
11 Close, but no cigar
12 Cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey
13 Dead as a door nail
14 Don't count your chickens before they hatch
15 Don't look a gift horse in the mouth
16 Eat humble pie
17 Flavour of the month
18 Go the whole nine yards
19 Heard it through the grapevine
20 Mind your p's and q's
21 More bang for your buck
22 Pass the buck
23 Saved by the bell
24 Spill the beans
25 Spin doctor
26 Straight from the horse's mouth
27 To ring true
28 Turn a blind eye
29 Wear your heart on your sleeve
30 White elephant

PLAYERS
Debby (fccs)
Carole (rcperryls)
Last edited by Linda Rose on Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
Linda
rcperryls

Re: Idioms And Their Origins BINGO

Post by rcperryls »

I'm in. Will be sending you my picks in the next few days. Have to think about this one!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
fccs

Post by fccs »

I just PM'd you my numbers. I hope you get a lot of players - this sounds like a fun one.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Linda Rose

Post by Linda Rose »

Got your numbers, Debby. Thanks for participating!
Linda
Linda Rose

Post by Linda Rose »

So, this is what the game will play like:

You probably noted that when I introduced the game I ended with "break a leg!" to all. Break a leg! is what is said to actors for 'good luck' before they go on stage, especially on an opening night. One story goes that actors are a superstitious bunch and believe that being wished 'good luck' would have the opposite effect, that of bad luck. Another possible explanation is that the side stage curtains are known as legs; if a performance went particularly well, the actor would be called out for an encore or curtain call, therefore breaking a 'leg' (to pass through or break open the curtains). My granddaughter, age 11, knows this phrase and understood it as a call for good luck.

I would hope that anyone who had something to add would do so. Our lives and experiences are all so different and it would be great to know what others could add to the understanding - even the misunderstanding - of the phrases we will take a look at. I certainly won't have all the answers. So come on - join the fun. Don't just check out the posts each day, pick your phrases, pm me the numbers, and participate to learn, enjoy and perhaps even win the gift certificate to go shopping at your favourite on line store.
Linda
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I think it sounds like fun. My picks pm'd a few minutes ago. There was a show on either History or Discovery or one of those networks a few years ago which focused on different expressions and their origins, whether from specific ethnic groups or trade groups or historical events. It was fascinating! I am looking forward to these Bingo very much.

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Linda Rose

Post by Linda Rose »

Nice to have you in the game Carole!
Linda
Linda Rose

Post by Linda Rose »

OK, for some reason there is not a lot of interest at the moment. Let's take a break and see what happens in a few weeks. I will host either this Bingo or perhaps just go with the older version of 30 words and bring the game back to something a little simpler, a little less intimidating. Please look to hear from me again the week of November 13th.

Thanks.

Linda
Linda
fccs

Post by fccs »

I wish I knew the reason for the lack of participation - but maybe more people will be interested in November.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

fccs wrote:I wish I knew the reason for the lack of participation - but maybe more people will be interested in November.
I have no idea why this has happened either. I am sure it has nothing to do with the topics. We'll see what November is like and if turnout is still poor see if asking the members will provide the answer.

Carole
:tizzy:
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Linda Rose

Post by Linda Rose »

I think I will post a bit of a questionnaire/survey here and in general and see if we can get some insight into the lack of more interest...time permitting, that is.
Linda
Linda Rose

Post by Linda Rose »

Happy New Year everyone! Thanks for giving me the opportunity to recover before playing our new game...your kindness is very much appreciated!

Well, the holidays are over and the kids are back to school, so it's time to play BINGO! You may choose to keep or change your 10 numbers if you pm'd me previously; just let me know so that I can post who is still in the game. I would like to reveal the first two numbers sometime next week and will consider us ready to play once we have 4 or more players. Don't delay! Make a New Year's resolution to play more BINGO and make good on that plan by letting me know your 10 picks as soon as possible.

Will be in touch again soon.

Linda
Last edited by Linda Rose on Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Linda
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I'm in, too! What fun! :king: Have pm'd you.
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:whoop: Just sent my picks and looking forward to this.

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Linda Rose

Post by Linda Rose »

Wonderful to have Serinde and Carole in the game! Best of luck to both of you. They are in need of a little more competition. Who else is up for the challenge?
Linda
Linda Rose

Post by Linda Rose »

And so this Competition section continues to struggle with forum participation, even though there have been plenty of views both here and in the General section. What to do? I have a few thoughts:

1. Give it a rest for a longer period of time
2. Return to the simpler BINGO of just 30 words, no explanations required (willing to change this to something simpler)
3. Play a different game

Any thoughts from others?

I will give one more week for sign ups. Then a decision will have to be made. Unless, of course, I am inundated with pms from members wanting to play!

Linda
Linda
Linda Rose

Post by Linda Rose »

Linda Rose wrote:Wonderful to have Serinde and Carole in the game! Best of luck to both of you. They are in need of a little more competition. Who else is up for the challenge?
Tyledres has answered the call and joined our game. One more and we are set to play. Who will rise to the occasion and join the group?
Linda
fccs

Post by fccs »

Hmm...somehow I missed the post from last week, but I did receive you PM and yes, I am in. Come on peeps - let's get more players.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Linda Rose

Post by Linda Rose »

Delighted to see that Debby has joined the competition. She has given us the required 4 players to commence play. I will give a few more days in the hopes that we might add a person or two to the game. First picks will go up Wednesday, January 25th without fail. You have until then to pm me with your favorites should you want play.

Linda
Linda
kevona

Post by kevona »

Can I join in. I'm new here but this sounds fun

Donna
Donna

Pull up a chair and grab a :tea:
http://kevonacrafts.blogspot.co.uk" target="_blank