Bingo - stitching and watching - and the winner is...

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

rcperryls

Re: Bingo - stitching and watching - Day 10!! - 9/23

Post by rcperryls »

Still at 5/10. Think I will have to find While You Were Sleeping. Sounds like something I would like.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
fccs

Re: Bingo - stitching and watching - 9/24 - 11 11 11

Post by fccs »

Eleven days in...

6 - The Other Woman

Synopsis:
New York lawyer Carly Whitten (Cameron Diaz) lives by strict rules when it comes to romantic relationships, but when she falls for suave, handsome Mark King (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau), she begins an affair with him. A surprise visit to Mark's home reveals that he is married to devoted housewife Kate (Leslie Mann). Carly and Kate direct their hurt and anger toward Mark, and when they discover yet a third woman (Kate Upton) caught in his web of lies, the three join forces for revenge.

I saw this in the theatres and only went because my friend wanted to see it. I'm not a Cameron Diaz fan at all and I expected to just tolerate the movie. To my surprise, I liked it...so much so that I bought it. I'm still not a Diaz fan, but she was okay in this, although I think Leslie Mann and Kate Upton were better (but maybe because I found their characters more likeable). It's predictable, but it's fun - and good stitching company.

7 - The Natural

Synopsis:
On the way to a tryout with the Chicago Cubs, young baseball phenom Roy Hobbs (Robert Redford) is shot by the unstable Harriet Bird (Barbara Hershey). After 16 years, Hobbs returns to pro baseball as a rookie for the last-place New York Knights. Despite early arguments with his manager, Pop Fisher (Wilford Brimley), Hobbs becomes one of the best players in the league, and the Knights start winning. But this upsets the Judge (Robert Prosky), their owner, who wants Hobbs to lose games, not win.

It's Redford. It's baseball. What more is there to say? :-)
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
rcperryls

Re: Bingo - stitching and watching -Day ELEVEN - 9/24

Post by rcperryls »

6/10. Thank you Robert Redford. Last movie I saw him in is Pete's Dragon (highly recommended if you haven't seen it and want to feel good)

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
fccs

Re: Bingo - stitching and watching -Day ELEVEN - 9/24

Post by fccs »

rcperryls wrote:6/10. Thank you Robert Redford. Last movie I saw him in is Pete's Dragon (highly recommended if you haven't seen it and want to feel good)

Carole
I'm actually going to try to see it tomorrow. I also want to see Sully, but I know Pete's Dragon will be leaving the theatres soon.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
fccs

Re: Bingo - stitching and watching - no numbers 9/25

Post by fccs »

I'm going to take today off from posting numbers to allow players to catch up. Look for the next two numbers tomorrow.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
fccs

Re: Bingo - stitching and watching - 9/26 - 12th set

Post by fccs »

After skipping a day to let others catch up (not sure that worked :-) ), here we go:

10 - Major League

Synopsis:
The new owner of the Cleveland Indians, former showgirl Rachel Phelps (Margaret Whitton), has a sweetheart deal to move the team to Miami. But to break the lease with the city of Cleveland, ticket sales have to plummet. So Phelps hires the most incompetent players available, including near-blind pitcher Rick Vaughn (Charlie Sheen) and injury-prone catcher Jake Taylor (Tom Berenger). But her villainous tactics accidentally foster a can-do team spirit, turning the Indians into potential winners.

I've got all three movies in the Major League series, but the first is by far my favorite. It's fun, it's funny, and it's good company for stitching because I've seen it so many times I really just have to listen (and I still enjoy it). Sheen is funny (this is way before he became whatever it is he is today), and I love the character Pedro Cerrano played by Dennis Haysbert. Voodoo and baseball - who knew? :-) And Bob Uecker has some of the funniest lines in the movie.

12 - Gilmore Girls

Synopsis:
Set in a storybook Connecticut town populated by an eclectic mix of dreamers, artists and everyday folk, this multigenerational drama about family and friendship centers around Lorelai Gilmore and her daughter, Rory. Lorelai owns the town's bed-and-breakfast, the Dragonfly Inn, with best friend/chef Sookie, and contends with weekly dinners with eccentric, well-off parents Richard and Emily Gilmore (who always have something to say about their daughter's life). After high school, Rory attends Yale University but frequently returns to Stars Hollow to visit her mom.

I love this show (which explains why I have the entire series on DVD). In a way, it reminds me of Everwood - or Everwood reminds me of Gilmore Girls - small town, everyone knows everyone (and everyone's business), characters that remind you of people in your own life, some humor, some drama (real life). And Netflix is doing a Gilmore Girls revival - can't wait!!! (Can I just say right now that I love Netflix?!!)
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
rcperryls

Re: Bingo - stitching and watching - no numbers today

Post by rcperryls »

Yay! for Major League. Brings me to 7/10 and a great movie.

By the way, did you get to see Pete's Dragon yesterday?

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
fccs

Post by fccs »

rcperryls wrote:Yay! for Major League. Brings me to 7/10 and a great movie.

By the way, did you get to see Pete's Dragon yesterday?

Carole
I'm going to try to get there today - I have an aqua fitness class this morning and should have time to run a few errands and then get to the theatre. I've got my popcorn bucket and soda cup out and ready to go (refills for $3.50 - good for the entire year ... which is almost over). I think a fun movie is just what I need to prepare me for a budget meeting tonight for my HOA, followed by coming home to watch Presidential Debate (for which I might need an adult beverage - or chocolate).
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
rcperryls

Re: Bingo - stitching and watching - new #'s - 9/26

Post by rcperryls »

or both :ratherbe:
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
fccs

Post by fccs »

rcperryls wrote:or both :ratherbe:
Luckily I've got some adult beverages - wine or Kinky should do it - adding chocolate to my grocery list. :lol:
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Correction. I missed one early early on. So I am at 8/10. Getting very close now.

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Linda Rose

Post by Linda Rose »

Well this is embarrassing! I find myself at 9/10 after being unable to respond for quite a while now. It looks like everyone is having fun and while I have enjoyed reminiscing about movies/shows I have enjoyed in the past I am also looking forward to watching some for the first time now that I have a better idea about what they are about. Great job, Debby!
Linda
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

I've been stuck at 6/10 for a few days now. Been fun reading all about the movies though. :applesauce:
fccs

Post by fccs »

rcperryls wrote:
By the way, did you get to see Pete's Dragon

Carole
I saw Pete's Dragon yesterday and loved it - it made me cry. I want a friend like Elliot.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
fccs

Re: Bingo - stitching and watching - new #'s - 9/27

Post by fccs »

Okay, it's getting down to the wire...

2 - MLB

Synopsis:
None

It's baseball, anytime I want it. I'm a big baseball fan and I subscribe to MLBTV. I can watch any out of market game live (which is anything other than the Rockies, which is okay because all their games are on local tv here). I can also watch previous games, any team, or just highlights, any team. Yesterday I watched the beginning of the Marlins game, which started with a tribute to the young pitcher, Jose Fernandez, who was killed Sunday in a boating accident...incredibly moving to hear "Take Me out to the Ballgame" played slowly and hauntingly. I was raised an Angels fan and with MLBTV I can watch every Angels game - they didn't do well (understatement) this year, but I still watch them. When friends here complain about the Rockies, I tell them I was raised an Angels fan, I've learned to deal with disappointment. :-)

20 - Despicable Me

Synopsis
: A man who delights in all things wicked, supervillain Gru (Steve Carell) hatches a plan to steal the moon. Surrounded by an army of little yellow minions and his impenetrable arsenal of weapons and war machines, Gru makes ready to vanquish all who stand in his way. But nothing in his calculations and groundwork has prepared him for his greatest challenge: three adorable orphan girls (Miranda Cosgrove, Dana Gaier, Elsie Fisher) who want to make him their dad.

I'm pretty sure a synopsis wasn't really necessary for this movie, but there you go. I'm a big fan of animated movies and I absolutely love Despicable Me (and the movies that followed it). It's so very funny, and even though I've seen it many (MANY) times, I still laugh like I did the first time. If there are any out there who haven't seen it, that needs to be changed. Any other Despicable Me and minion fans out there?
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Getting close now. MLB brings me to 9/10!!!
fccs wrote:I saw Pete's Dragon yesterday and loved it - it made me cry. I want a friend like Elliot.
We saw it twice and I cried both times. Probably more the second time. I want a dragon like Elliot. And Robert Redford wasn't too bad either :wink:

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
fccs

Post by fccs »

rcperryls wrote:
We saw it twice and I cried both times. Probably more the second time. I want a dragon like Elliot. And Robert Redford wasn't too bad either :wink:

Carole
I would definitely see it again - and it will go into my collection when it's released on DVD/Bluray. Elliot was so sweet - and as for Robert Redford...yeah, he's still got it.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
fccs

Re: Bingo - stitching and watching - new #'s - 9/28

Post by fccs »

Okay, so I'm posting this on the 29th, but these are the numbers for the 28th. Just running a bit late yesterday.

3 - October Sky

Synopsis:
John Hickam (Chris Cooper) is a West Virginia coal miner who loves his job and expects his sons, Jim (Scott Miles) and Homer (Jake Gyllenhaal), to follow in his footsteps. But Jim gets a football scholarship, and Homer becomes interested in rocket science after seeing Sputnik 1 crossing the sky. John disapproves of his son's new mania, but Homer begins building rockets with the help of friends and a sympathetic teacher (Laura Dern). Rocketry, he hopes, will prove his ticket to a better life.

I love this movie. Being a history nut, and a fan of the space program, this movie was able to satisfy both interests. It does a good job of depicting not only the hard life of coal miners, but also the excitement of the late 1950's as space suddenly became closer and more personal. And it shows what can happen when the right teacher or mentor connects with the right kid. If you haven't seen it, check it out.

22 - RED

Synopsis:
After surviving an assault from a squad of hit men, retired CIA agent Frank Moses (Bruce Willis) reassembles his old team for an all-out war. Frank reunites with old Joe (Morgan Freeman), crazy Marvin (John Malkovich) and wily Victoria (Helen Mirren) to uncover a massive conspiracy that threatens their lives. Only their expert training will allow them to survive a near-impossible mission -- breaking into CIA headquarters.

Did you see the cast? Impressive, yes? And not only are the actors impressive, they are fun! Intrigue and action, wrapped up in humor. This is a super fun movie that I think just about anyone would enjoy. It's another of those that I bought after watching it countless times on cable and never tiring of it. It was a good purchase.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
rcperryls

Re: Bingo - stitching and watching - two more #s - 9/28

Post by rcperryls »

Still at 9/10. And still finding this a fun fun topic!

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Linda Rose

Re: Bingo - stitching and watching - two more #s - 9/28

Post by Linda Rose »

I do think October Sky gives me 10/10! I will pm just in case and check out as soon as I can.
Linda