FOLLOW THAT THREAD BINGO - Mags has won!

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

Linda Rose

Re: FOLLOW THAT THREAD BINGO - Day 14 Picks

Post by Linda Rose »

fccs wrote:I just PM'd you - I think I might have 10/10. :oops:
Congratulations Debby! You do indeed have 10! I will be in touch via pm.
Linda
jocellogirl

Post by jocellogirl »

Well done Mags and Debbie. I ended up on 9. Thanks Linda for some really interesting information :D
Jo x

WIP:
Celtic Autumn

On the back burner:
HAEDs Rhyme and Reason
Trio Godspeed Sistine Chapel

Around the World in 80 stitches, Herbularius
Linda Rose

Post by Linda Rose »

OK, Mags has been declared the winner for a gift certificate to the online store of her choice with Debby and Cairee claiming the runner up prizes of fabric. I have been in touch with all three for addresses etc. Here are the two remaining subjects:

30 US1504917 A

This is a US Patent# for a needle threader. I so wanted to have something in this BINGO for a needle threader but the history is a bit difficult to follow. I thought a look at what was required to patent an invention or an improvement to an invention might be interesting. But also interesting is an older reference to a young woman who improvised and came up with a needle threader for an aging servant. Here are both links. If choosing only one, check out the Elena Popescu (2nd link) reference.

http://www.google.com/patents/US1504917" target="_blank" target="_blank

https://books.google.ca/books?id=uRJt7Q ... or&f=false" target="_blank" target="_blank

22 Sampler

The word sampler dates from the 13th century. It comes from Latin Exemplarium through French Essamplere which means 'an example to be followed.' This is piece of embroidery worked in various stitches to show skill, typically containing the alphabet and some mottoes.

One of many interesting sites for morals taught by sampler stitchery is
https://www.thecrossstitchguild.com/cro ... verso.aspx" target="_blank" target="_blank

I am unexpectedly and quickly leaving for Montreal. I know I have promised a few other references which I will get together on my lunch hour later today. If you were looking for something specific, please let me know. This BINGO had me hopping all over the place and the truth is that some of them were found only during the game as I looked for something better than what I had originally. But I enjoyed every minute of it and now find myself delighted to be connected to a beautiful part of needlework history.

Thanks to all who participated. You are a wonderful group of enthusiastic competitors. I do look forward to the next one!

Linda
Linda
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Congrats Debby!! And thank you again, Linda for a great Bingo!!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
mags

Post by mags »

Yes, thank you Linda, it was all very interesting, and congrats to Debby and Cairee too.

I am working on the next one.... :D
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
Linda Rose

Re: FOLLOW THAT THREAD BINGO - Mags has won!

Post by Linda Rose »

Limited access now, but here goes:

Wikipedia is always good and always has links to other sources.

History of needlework: classiccrossstitch.com; thecrossstitchguild.com; juliesxstitch; rec.crafts.textiles.needlework (pronunciation of Aida); various DMC sites; needlework-tips-and-techniques.com

The history of Samplers through the years is very interesting because their form and raison d'etre have changes so much. Search museums/needlepoint/embroidery/samplers and all related articles at Wikipedia if you would like more info.

That does it for me unless I am asked a question. See you in the next game!

Linda
Linda
mags

Post by mags »

Have just received my gift certificate for Sewandso - I am now off to do a bit of shopping. Will report back on what I got.

Many thanks Linda. :rose:

I am still working on the next bingo! :thinks:
mags

WIPs:
various bits and bobs
mags

Post by mags »

Just done my shopping at sew and so and I put my gift voucher towards a lovely table mat for my guest room
http://www.sewandso.co.uk/Products/Butt ... -3873.aspx" target="_blank

and while I was there I got some needed black and white floss too.

Thanks very much Linda. :rose:

I am working on the next bingo - need a week or so to get it all sorted and I will post here when it is ready.
mags

WIPs:
various bits and bobs
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Congratulations Mags and what a beautiful gift you have chosen too. Looking forward to seeing it being stitched and the next bingo. A very good thing I didn't take part in this Bingo as internet access at my sister's place is intermittent at best but largely just not there so I put my IPad away again. :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Linda Rose

Post by Linda Rose »

Lovely choice, Mags!
Linda