Board Game Bingo - We have a winner!!

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

nachosmiley

Board Game Bingo - We have a winner!!

Post by nachosmiley »

I had a hard time picking the theme for my bingo this time around but I thought I would pick something that is near and dear to me.....board games!!

Once a week I go to my friends houses for games night and have played loads of games....now I'm not talking Monopoly or Scrabble here I'm talking indie board games that have some amazing dynamics, fantastic themes and sometimes are downright bizarre! It is my regular social event and I would just be lost without it!

Games are actually quite a big thing in my town, we have a wonderful shop called Shadow Games that runs all sorts of social events and we have a club called Rugby on Board that meet up one a fortnight in the local pubs too...all in all it's a great way to meet new people!

Sign up will run until the 21st Jan with the first numbers being drawn on the 22nd.

The usual prize is on offer a £10 or $15 gift cert to the website of your choice......or I can send you one of my favourite games off the list, Love Letter, the choice is the winners of course!

Here is my list..

1. King of Tokyo
2. Braggart
3. Wrath of Ashardalon
4. Pandemic
5. Love Letter
6. Stone Age
7. Gubs
8. Ticket to Ride
9. Panic Lab
10. Alhambra
11. Cloud 9
12. No Thanks!
13. Zombicide
14. Ivanhoe
15. Castle Ravenloft
16. War on Terror
17. Dungeons and Dragons
18. Bang!
19. Walk the Plank
20. Game of Thrones
21. Carcassonne
22. A Touch of Evil
23. Munchkin
24. The Resistance
25. Wings of War
26. Settlers of Catan
27. The Cave
28. Archipelago
29. Twilight Struggle
30. Takenoko

Maybe I will convert some of you into gamers.....you never know!! :wink:
Last edited by nachosmiley on Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:46 pm, edited 14 times in total.
W.I.P.
My Altair chart 66.11%
Chatelaine Mystery XV-Deep Blue Sea 6/12
HAED Mini Fairy Book 43.55%
HAED Lady in the Meadow 13.07%
Finishes
Duality
Zelda valentine
Beware of the DM
HAED SK Oak King
Magic Dragon
cairee

Re: Board Game Bingo - Sign up til 21st Jan.

Post by cairee »

now here I thought I knew alot of board games, but I dont know any of these!
great theme!
:wip:
Mables 2016 SAL
Holland Springtime Mandalla (chatelaine)
bookknurd

Post by bookknurd »

I love indie board games! I got a bunch for Christmas, now I just have to find time to play them. :)

I'll PM you my numbers tomorrow. I am super excited about this one. :D
**Signature Under Construction**
(will update soon with current WIPs and other info :dance: )
jocellogirl

Post by jocellogirl »

Wow!! I haven't heard of most of these. I'll pm my numbers shortly.
Jo x

WIP:
Celtic Autumn

On the back burner:
HAEDs Rhyme and Reason
Trio Godspeed Sistine Chapel

Around the World in 80 stitches, Herbularius
bookknurd

Post by bookknurd »

Just sent in my numbers! I tried to only pick games I had never played or heard of before, which was probably a bit harder for me than some since I play indie board games. :)
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I'm in! I have always loved board games, but the more usual type. Risk was always one of my favorites. The only one on the list I know even a little about is Dungeons and Dragons. Will be sending my list soon.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
perftangel

Post by perftangel »

Numbers sent! I have no one to play with, but I've heard of several of the games!!
jocellogirl

Post by jocellogirl »

Jut pm'd my numbers :D
Jo x

WIP:
Celtic Autumn

On the back burner:
HAEDs Rhyme and Reason
Trio Godspeed Sistine Chapel

Around the World in 80 stitches, Herbularius
nachosmiley

Post by nachosmiley »

Just bumping this up....3 more days to sign up!

Players so far
maemae0410
bookknurd
perftangel
rcperryls
jocellogirl
W.I.P.
My Altair chart 66.11%
Finishes
Duality
Zelda valentine
Beware of the DM
HAED SK Oak King
Magic Dragon
nachosmiley

Post by nachosmiley »

Another bump for sign ups...anyone else want to join? This will be kicking off on Wednesday. :D
W.I.P.
My Altair chart 66.11%
Finishes
Duality
Zelda valentine
Beware of the DM
HAED SK Oak King
Magic Dragon
nachosmiley

Post by nachosmiley »

Last call for sign ups...game starts tomorrow:)
W.I.P.
My Altair chart 66.11%
Finishes
Duality
Zelda valentine
Beware of the DM
HAED SK Oak King
Magic Dragon
nachosmiley

Post by nachosmiley »

Right then here we go....good luck everyone!

The first numbers are.....24 and 7.

24 - The Resistance - The Resistance is a party game of social deduction. It is designed for five to ten players, lasts about 30 minutes, and has no player elimination.
Players are either Resistance Operatives or Imperial Spies. For three to five rounds, they must depend on each other to carry out missions against the Empire. At the same time, they must try to deduce the other players’ identities and gain their trust. Each round begins with discussion. When ready, the Leader entrusts sets of Plans to a certain number of players (possibly including himself/herself). Everyone votes on whether or not to approve the assignment. Once an assignment passes, the chosen players secretly decide to Support or Sabotage the mission. Based on the results, the mission succeeds (Resistance win) or fails (Empire win). When a team wins three missions, they have won the game.

As you can imagine there are great opportunities to 'backstab' other players and be betrayed by those you trust the most!! A fantastic game for a larger group of players that always makes you look at everyone else wondering if they are a saboteur or an accomplice!

7 - Gubs - You must partake in the secret struggle of the Gubs. Each player competes to build the largest, strongest colony by the time the three dreaded Letter Cards emerge from the deck and end the game. Their world is a place filled with danger; from giant Omen Beetles who consume the delicate Gub Cities to Flash Floods to deadly Wasps, your gubs hardly stand a chance on their own... but arm them with Spears, let ride the valiant Toad Riders, build Mushroom Barricades and lead your colony through the forest underbrush and to victory.
Wit and Luck. You'll need them both. The gubs are counting on you!

I love this game....you have to decide whether to play your gubs unprotected, or you can protect them with other cards, however whatever you do there is always something that someone else can do (and invariably does) to steal or even kill your little gubs <sniff> This is a great game for kids and adults alike and I highly recommend it :D

W.I.P.
My Altair chart 66.11%
Finishes
Duality
Zelda valentine
Beware of the DM
HAED SK Oak King
Magic Dragon
rcperryls

Re: Board Game Bingo - First numbers up!

Post by rcperryls »

Resistance reminds me a little bit of the game "Risk" I used to play with friends, though much more complicated and intricate. Gubs sounds like a game that would be fun to play with family. And would be a great gift for some of my grandchildren who love games. Unfortunately I didn't pick either one so I start off this game with 0/10. but have added Gubs to my Amazon wish list since gift ideas for the 8 - 14y.o.'s is often a real problem.

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
bookknurd

Post by bookknurd »

Carole, I would probably say that Risk is a lot more complicated than the Resistance. :) Depending on how long people sit around accusing each other, we can finish a game of Resistance in less than 30 minutes.

I love complicated games like Risk, too, as do two of my in-laws. We have started organizing "game days" that give us enough time to play those more complicated games that take more time. In fact, we have one coming up in a couple of weeks and I can't wait. I got a bunch of new games for Christmas that I can wait to try out!
nachosmiley

Post by nachosmiley »

Day 2 numbers are....29 and 10!

29 - . Twilight Struggle - In 1945, unlikely allies toppled Hitler's war machine, while humanity's most devastating weapons forced the Japanese Empire to its knees in a storm of fire. Where once there stood many great powers, there then stood only two. The world had scant months to sigh its collective relief before a new conflict threatened. Unlike the titanic struggles of the preceding decades, this conflict would be waged not primarily by soldiers and tanks, but by spies and politicians, scientists and intellectuals, artists and traitors. Twilight Struggle is a two-player game simulating the forty-five year dance of intrigue, prestige, and occasional flares of warfare between the Soviet Union and the United States. The entire world is the stage on which these two titans fight to make the world safe for their own ideologies and ways of life. The game begins amidst the ruins of Europe as the two new "superpowers" scramble over the wreckage of the Second World War, and ends in 1989, when only the United States remained standing.
Twilight Struggle is a quick-playing, low-complexity game. The game map is a world map of the period, whereon players move units and exert influence in attempts to gain allies and control for their superpower. Desicion-making is a challenge; how to best use one's cards and units given consistently limited resources?
Twilight Struggle's Event cards add detail and flavour to the game. They cover a vast array of historical happenings, from the Arab-Israeli conflicts of 1948 and 1967, to Vietnam and the U.S. peace movement, to the Cuban Missile Crisis and other such incidents that brought the world to the brink of nuclear annihilation. Subsystems capture the prestige-laden Space Race as well as nuclear tensions, with the possibility of game-ending nuclear war.

10 - Alhambra - Granada, 1278. At the foot of the Sierra Nevada mountains, one of the most exciting and interesting project of the Spanish Middle Ages begins: the construction of the ALHAMBRA.
The best master builders in the whole of Europe and Arabia want to demonstrate their skill. Employ the most suitable teams of builders and make sure that you always have enough of the right currency. Because no matter whether they are stonemasons from the north or horticulturalists from the south, they all want a proper wage and insist on their "native" currency. With their help towers can be constructed, gardens laid out, pavilions and arcades erected and seraglios and chambers built.
In Alhambra, players are acquiring buildings to be placed within their Alhambra complex.
The money in Alhambra comes in four different currencies and is available in the open money market. The 54 buildings of six types become available for purchase in the building market four at a time; one building is available in each of the four different currencies. On a player's turn, a player may 1) take money from the open money market, 2) purchase a building from the building market and either place it in his Alhambra or reserve, or 3) engage in construction and re-construction projects with buildings that have been placed in the player's Alhambra or reserve. The game rewards efficiency, as when a player purchases a building from the market for the exact amount of money, the player may take another turn.
Players with the most buildings in each of the six building types in his Alhambra score in each of the scoring phases, and points are awarded for players' longest external "wall" section within their complex. The game ends when the building market can no longer be replenished from the building tile supply, and there is a final scoring, whereupon the player with the highest score wins.

W.I.P.
My Altair chart 66.11%
Finishes
Duality
Zelda valentine
Beware of the DM
HAED SK Oak King
Magic Dragon
nachosmiley

Re: Board Game Bingo - Day 2 numbers up!

Post by nachosmiley »

Day 3 numbers are....21 and 18!

21– Do you know those little wooden figures that appear in quite a few board games these days? Well they are meeples and Carcasonne was, I believe, the first to incorporate them as pieces! Carcasonne is a tile-placement game in which the players randomly draw a tile with a piece of southern French landscape on and place it. The tile might feature a city, a road, a cloister, grassland or some combination thereof, and it must be placed adjacent to tiles that have already been played, in such a way that cities are connected to cities, roads to roads, etcetera. Having placed a tile, the player can then decide to place (or not as you only have a finite amount) one of his meeples on one of the areas on it: on the city as a knight, on the road as a robber, on a cloister as a monk, or on the grass as a farmer. When that area is complete, or at the end of the game that meeple scores points for its owner. The player with the highest score wins
During a game of Carcassonne, players are faced with decisions like: "Is it really worth putting my last meeple there?" or "Should I use this tile to expand my city, or should I place it near my opponent instead, giving him a hard time to complete his project and score points?" Since players place only one tile and have the option to place one meeple on it, turns proceed quickly even if it is a game full of options and possibilities.
There is also a pretty good Ipad app of this game (not as good as playing with actual people though) however the android version still leaves a lot to be desired!

18 - Bang! - "The Outlaws hunt the Sheriff. The Sheriff hunts the Outlaws. The Renegade plots secretly, ready to take one side or the other. Bullets fly. Who among the gunmen is a Deputy, ready to sacrifice himself for the Sheriff? And who is a merciless Outlaw, willing to kill him? If you want to find out, just draw (your cards)!"
This card game recreates an old-fashioned spaghetti western shoot-out, with each player randomly receiving a Character card to determine special abilities, and a secret Role card to determine their goal.
Four different Roles are available, each with a unique victory condition:
• Sheriff - Kill all Outlaws and the Renegade
• Deputy - Protect the Sheriff and kill any Outlaws
• Outlaw - Kill the Sheriff
• Renegade - Be the last person standing
A player's Role is kept secret, except for the Sheriff. Character cards are placed face-up on table, and also track strength (hand limit) in addition to special ability.
There are 22 different types of cards in the draw deck. Most common are the BANG! cards, which let you shoot at another player, assuming the target is within "range" of your current gun. The target player can play a "MISSED!" card to dodge the shot. Other cards can provide temporary boosts while in play (for example, different guns to improve your firing range) and special one-time effects to help you or hinder your opponents (such as Beer to restore health, or Barrels to hide behind during a shootout). A horse is useful for keeping your distance from unruly neighbors, while the Winchester can hit a target at range 5. The Gatling is a deadly exception where range doesn't matter - it can only be used once, but targets all other players at the table!
W.I.P.
My Altair chart 66.11%
Finishes
Duality
Zelda valentine
Beware of the DM
HAED SK Oak King
Magic Dragon
rcperryls

Re: Board Game Bingo - Day 3 numbers up!

Post by rcperryls »

Two days worth of numbers and all I can manage is Twilight Struggle????? What amazes me is the detail and intricacy if some of these games. Makes good old monopoly seem simple!

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
bookknurd

Post by bookknurd »

Up to 2/10 with Bang! (which also just got added to my board games wishlist on Amazon).

This is probably my favorite bingo so far. :)
nachosmiley

Post by nachosmiley »

Glad you found a new game that you would like to try...Bang! is a lot of fun :D

So todays numbers are 14 and 6

14 - Ivanhoe - Take on the role of a knight and join the prestigious tournaments at the king's court. Use your cards to win the jousting competitions, and to fight with your sword, axe or morning-star. Rally your squires, gain the support of a maiden, and play action cards against your opponents.
Clever use of action cards can change the type of tournament that is in progress. One card will 'unhorse' you, forcing everyone still in the jousting competition to switch to a weapon battle of the action card holder’s choice.
Other actions cause you to drop whatever other weapon you are using and resort to hand-to-hand battles in which the player with the most cards- not the highest point total- will win a token. Depending on the number of players in the game, the first player to win four or five different tournaments becomes the overall victor.
There is a lot more strategy involved in this game than first meets the eye.

6 - Stone Age - The "Stone Age" times were hard indeed. In their roles as hunters, collectors, farmers, and tool makers, our ancestors worked with their legs and backs straining against wooden plows in the stony earth. Of course, progress did not stop with the wooden plow. People always searched for better tools and more productive plants to make their work more effective.
In Stone Age, the players live in this time, just as our ancestors did. They collect wood, break stone and wash their gold from the river. They trade freely, expand their village and so achieve new levels of civilization. With a balance of luck and planning, the players compete for food in this pre-historic time.
Players use up to ten tribe members each in three phases. In the first phase, players place their men in regions of the board that they think will benefit them, including the hunt, the trading centre, or the quarry. In the second phase, the starting player activates each of his staffed areas in whatever sequence he chooses, followed in turn by the other players. In the third phase, players must have enough food available to feed their populations, or they face losing resources or points.
W.I.P.
My Altair chart 66.11%
Finishes
Duality
Zelda valentine
Beware of the DM
HAED SK Oak King
Magic Dragon
rcperryls

Re: Board Game Bingo - Day 4 numbers up!

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: I got both today. Brings me to 3/10. Both of these games sound like so much fun. The history buff in me would love them. I really like this theme!

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat