Christmas Carol Bingo -- WINNER!

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

hularac

Re: Christmas Carol Bingo -- In Progress

Post by hularac »

Love your rhyme, Jo! ... A little tease here: just looked up the history for the next couple of song picks. Really interesting, so now I hope no one wins for a couple of days at least! Stay tuned. --Carol in muggy Honolulu
Louise1262

Post by Louise1262 »

4/10 after Decking the Halls.

Enjoying the background notes very much Carol.
perftangel

Post by perftangel »

I'm sitting at 3/10.

Love the background info. :)
nachosmiley

Post by nachosmiley »

Oooo ooo I've been busy for a few days and when I've just checked now I'm up to 5/10 :dance:

It is nice to get some history on the carols that we hear everywhere at this time of year....great research Carole :D
W.I.P.
My Altair chart 66.11%
Chatelaine Mystery XV-Deep Blue Sea 6/12
HAED Mini Fairy Book 43.55%
HAED Lady in the Meadow 13.07%
Finishes
Duality
Zelda valentine
Beware of the DM
HAED SK Oak King
Magic Dragon
hularac

Post by hularac »

Aloha!

DAY 7

27. Toyland

9. Feliz Navidad

27. Toyland comes from the operetta "Babes in Toyland," with words by Glenn MacDonough and music by Victor Herbert (1903). This was one of the first of Victor Herbert's thirty operettas, and it was very successful right from opening night at the Grand Opera House in Chicago (June 17, 1903). It opened at the Majestic Theater on Broadway in New York City four months later. Although not technically a Christmas carol, the spirit is all holiday.

9. Puerto Rican singer-songwriter Jose' Feliciano wrote the pop hit Feliz Navidad in 1970. The chorus in Spanish wishes everyone a merry Christmas, a prosperous year and happiness ("Feliz Navidad, pro'spero ano y felicidad"), followed by a rocking English verse: "I wanna wish you a Merry Christmas from the bottom of my heart." That about says it all! It is one of the top 25 most played and recorded Christmas songs around the world.

Info from http://www.Wikipedia.org" target="_blank" More information, lyrics and musical excerpt at that site.
Last edited by hularac on Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kiwirach

Post by kiwirach »

Nothing on day 7 either, so still sitting on 4/10
my blog

WIP
Little House Neighbourhood - LHN
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

:applesauce: :applesauce: Another one thanks to Feliz Navidad which is a lovely carol too. Now 5/10
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
ersa76

Post by ersa76 »

Still on 2/10! But it's nice to look for these carols on my Christmas CDs :whistle:
cairee

Post by cairee »

one more!
7/10 :dance:
:wip:
Mables 2016 SAL
Holland Springtime Mandalla (chatelaine)
wwdiva

Post by wwdiva »

Cairee, you are on a roll @rotfl:
I am now at 5/10.
Cheers :toast:
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I'm at 5/10 now also. Thanks to Toyland and to Carol for such a lovely festive bingo.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
stitchingmae

Post by stitchingmae »

I think I am at 6/10
will double check.
nachosmiley

Post by nachosmiley »

Still on 5/10
W.I.P.
My Altair chart 66.11%
Chatelaine Mystery XV-Deep Blue Sea 6/12
HAED Mini Fairy Book 43.55%
HAED Lady in the Meadow 13.07%
Finishes
Duality
Zelda valentine
Beware of the DM
HAED SK Oak King
Magic Dragon
hularac

Post by hularac »

Aloha! Christmas is in the air, and I think bingo is, too! Good luck to everyone!

DAY 8

24. Silver Bells

29. White Christmas

24. Jay Livingston wrote the music for Silver Bells and Ray Evans wrote the lyrics (1950). Livingston told his wife about their new song, which was titled Tinkle Bells! She was "appalled," pointing out that "tinkle" was a child's slang for urinating. A change was made right away! It's not clear what inspired the song, with two versions being offered over the years by the authors. Inspiration may have come from Salvation Army bell ringers, seeking donations on city streets. Or it may have been merely a bell on the desk that the two authors shared. In any event, it is one of the few Christmas carols with a city setting.
The song was first performed by Bob Hope and Marilyn Maxwell in the movie "Lemon Drop Kid." A few months later it was recorded by Bing Crosby and Carol Richards. It became very popular, so Bob Hope and Marilyn Maxwell filmed a more elaborate production of the song.

29. Irving Berlin's White Christmas was written in 1940 for the musical "Holiday Inn." It was first performed by Bing Crosby on his radio show on Christmas, 1941. It slowly gained popularity, and by October 1942 it led Billboard's chart of top hits, staying there for 11 weeks. The song also won the 1942 Academy Award for Best Original Song.
Here's information that I find a little strange: According to Wikipedia, "The recording was broadcast on the radio on April 30, 1975 as a secret, prearranged signal precipitating the US evacuation from Saigon."

Info from http://www.Wikipedia.org" target="_blank" More information, lyrics and musical excerpt at that site.
Last edited by hularac on Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wwdiva

Post by wwdiva »

Shouldn't it be #29 for White Christmas? 27 was Toyland on Day 7.
I hope so because that would make 6 for me!
Cheers :toast:
hularac

Post by hularac »

YES, ABSOLUTELY, Day 8 is #29 (White Christmas) along with #24. Twenty-NINE. Can't read my own writing! Sorry about that. And many thanks, wwdiva, for catching that!
cairee

Post by cairee »

one more! 8/10, getting close! :dance: :dance:
:wip:
Mables 2016 SAL
Holland Springtime Mandalla (chatelaine)
kiwirach

Post by kiwirach »

White Christmas brings me to 5/10 :dance:
my blog

WIP
Little House Neighbourhood - LHN
perftangel

Post by perftangel »

Yay! Two of my favorites! I'm up to 6/10 now. I love White Christmas and Silver Bells!
hularac

Post by hularac »

Aloha! Is it a winter wonderland where you are? Stay warm and safe. Bautifully warm, clear day here in Hawaii.

DAY 9

17. Jingle Bells

30. Winter Wonderland

17. James Lord Pierpont wrote Jingle Bells in 1857 not as a Christmas song but for a Thanksgiving festival at his church in Savannah, Georgia. "Jingle" was intended as a verb, meaning to jingle the bells on the horse as a way of avoiding an accident at intersections. The rhythm of the song mimics that of a trotting horse's bells. On Dec. 16, 1965, astronauts Wally Shirra and Tom Stafford were flying Gemini 6. They reported to Mission Control that they had just seen a passing UFO with a pilot "wearing a red suit." Then they launched into a rendition of Jingle Bells on a harmonica accompanied by some jingly bells. Both musical instruments are now in the Smithsonian Museum, touted as the first instruments in space.

30. Winter Wonderland, by composer Felix Bernard and lyricist Richard Smith (1934), is regarded as a Christmas song, although that holiday is never mentioned in the lyrics. It has been recorded over the years by Guy Lombardo, Perry Como, The Andrew Sisters and over 150 other artists. For the 1953 recording it was deemed inappropriate to have children hear "build a snowman / pretend that he is Parson Brown / he'll say are you married? / we'll say no man, but you can do the job when you're in town." The children might be shocked, warped. So Parson Brown was changed to Circus Clown with appropriate new words. Remarkable!

Info from http://www.Wikipedia.org" target="_blank More information, lyrics and musical excerpt at that site.