New November Bingo: INSECTS! 11th numbers posted

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

Ketta

New November Bingo: INSECTS! 11th numbers posted

Post by Ketta »

The list will be posted by Thursday evening. I wanted to get this post started because I said I'd post by Tuesday :oops:

I'm currently in my last year of a Bachelor's in zoology, and some of you know I'm very much into studying animals. My first love are the birds, but with some different events that began occurring this last spring, I've come to realize that a close second love are the insects. Many courses are required for zoology majors, generally to round out knowledge of all animals even though we may be firmly set on a group we intend to focus on. There are several good reasons for that, and I'm a good example of one of them: it's likely you may discover you have an interest and affinity for other fields.

Last spring, I took a required course in 'invertebrates'; bugs, crustaceans, worms, you name it: anything many consider 'icky' and without bones. When the course was focusing on insects, we had a presentation by the curator for the universities insect collection. The collection is huge (the biggest in the Pacific Northwest with over 3 million specimens), and at the end of his presentation he mentioned they were hiring a few people for databasing (entering collection data into a national database). I *really* needed a job for the summer, so I applied.

Ever since, I've learned more and more about insects, and I'm taking more courses that focus on insects. I've even got a fairly well fleshed-out idea for grad school study.

So, I decided it would be cool (and hopefully fun) to do a bingo on the different orders of insects. I'll post images and say a little bit about each one, and highlight something interesting. We're going from monsters to bugs, sort of easing out of the 'scary and icky' phase October always brings!

Sidenote...I was going to do cats (wild and otherwise), but I'll save that topic for another time. :)

Happy Halloween, everyone! I'll have a list posted tonight, along with dates for sending in lists and when we'll start this shindig. For anyone who hasn't played before, here's a link on how to play: http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... f=5&t=1689" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="

Ok, here's the list! Signups are until November 8, a week from tomorrow. I wanted to give you all a chance to sign up, plus this ensures all of my midterm exams are finished and I don't forget to post picks...I get a bit lost in books and preoccupied during this time. :) Each day's picks will include an image, a little info about the insect order, and any applicable personal experiences for the sake of humor, fun, and education.

Winner will receive a $15 (or equivalent) certificate to the online cross stitch site of their choice.

Please choose 10 from the following list and PM with your choices. I will reply to confirm and keep an updated list in this post as to who has signed up so far.

1. Archaeognatha - bristletails
2. Zygentoma - silverfish
3. Ephemeroptera - mayflies
4. Odonata - dragonflies and damselflies
5. Plecoptera - stoneflies
6. Isoptera - termites
7. Blattodea - cockroaches
8. Mantodea - mantids
9. Grylloblattodea - rock crawlers
10. Mantophasmatodea - heel walkers
11. Phasmatodea - stick insects
12. Embiidina - silk spinners
13. Orthoptera - grasshoppers, crickets, and katydids
14. Dermaptera - earwigs
15. Zoraptera - zorapterans
16. Phthiraptera - lice
17. Thysanoptera - thrips
18. Hemiptera - true bugs
19. Neuroptera - ant lions
20. Megaloptera - alderflies, dobsonflies, and fishflies
21. Raphidoptera - snakeflies
22. Coleoptera - beetles
23. Strepsiptera - twisted-wing flies
24. Diptera - true flies
25. Mecoptera - scorpionflies
26. Siphonaptera - fleas
27. Trichoptera - caddis flies
28. Lepidoptera - butterflies and moths
29. Hymenoptera - ants, wasps, and bees
30. Collembola - springtails

Signed up so far:

Squirrel
cairee
rcperryls
verajane
ersa76
mammae0410
nachosmiley
hularac
Fizzbw
Last edited by Ketta on Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:00 pm, edited 19 times in total.
Blog: http://ketta-ketta.blogspot.com/" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... =6&t=12786" target="_blank" target="_blank (bug)

http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... =6&t=13419" target="_blank (Serenity)
bookknurd

Re: New November Bingo: INSECTS!

Post by bookknurd »

I can't wait!

I was on my way to being a biology major with a focus in zoology until mathematics stole my heart. I even interned for a summer at my local zoo as a keeper. It was an awesome experience that I will never forget.
**Signature Under Construction**
(will update soon with current WIPs and other info :dance: )
rcperryls

Re: New November Bingo: INSECTS! List Now Available

Post by rcperryls »

I am in! Will pm you the list as soon as I figure which of the creepy crawlies I want to chose.

Carole
:lol:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
ersa76

Post by ersa76 »

Here I am! First time in such a nice game! I love animals as I used to be a teacher of Natural History. Happy to have the chance to talk some more about Insects. I'm going to send my PM if I find how to do it. Thanks :D
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

I'm in and will PM you the numbers in a few minutes. Looks interesting Ketta.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

ersa - At the top of the screen you will see the Logout and then 0 new messages
Click on this and it will take you to the message screen.
On the left hand side look for "compose message" and click on it.
Another screen will pop up and in the box labelled "User Names" Type Ketta
Put in your title line and then you message and click "submit"
and here is the important bit

at the new screen scroll down and you will see your message to Ketta minus the User Name box click submit and you will get the welcome message "your message has been sent".

Hope this helps but you can also look in Tips and Tricks thread for any help. :D .

WIPS
cairee

Post by cairee »

pm'ed my numbers
:wip:
Mables 2016 SAL
Holland Springtime Mandalla (chatelaine)
bookknurd

Post by bookknurd »

I'll pick my numbers later today.
bookknurd

Post by bookknurd »

Just sent in my numbers
ersa76

Post by ersa76 »

Thanks a lot Sally :rose: , for giving me again some "technical" help. I need them. :thinks:
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

sent in my numbers this morning!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Ketta

Re: New November Bingo: INSECTS! LAST DAY to sign up!

Post by Ketta »

Welcome to Insect Bingo! We have a small group this time around, but it could be the subject matter. :) If I ever get to host another bingo, I'll to something more cuddly!

Some basic facts about insects to get us started:

There are around 1,000,000 described or 'known' species, but it's estimated that there are around 2,500,000 to 4,000,000 species on Earth. New species are discovered all the time, from our backyards to tropical jungles (one of the graduate students I work with has discovered 3 new species within the university collection and 1 new local species of longhorn beetle). To put this in perspective...there are about 10,000 known species of birds in comparison, and while there have been new species discovered recently, there were about 3 completely new species in the last couple of years.

Insects occupy nearly every landmass on the planet and live in all sorts of habitats.

Insects are part of a larger group, the arthropods. 'Arthropod' means 'jointed appendage'. Insects have taken this namesake to the extreme, modifying their appendages sometimes to extremes that seem incredibly alien.

OK, here are today's picks:

11. Phasmatodea and 19. Neuroptera

Phasmatodea, the stick insects.

This group of insects is best known for their mimicry of plants. Most are 'simple' looking sticks, while others have outgrowths on their bodies that are quite sophisticated leaf mimics. Their coloration and design is 'cryptic', meaning it serves as camouflage. It's so convincing that even with our advanced color vision, they can be easily missed. Stick insects take their camouflage even further, by swaying their bodies like leaves and small branches in a light breeze. Everything about stick insects is about 'being a plant'; even their eggs resemble them. Sometimes they look like seeds, tiny shriveled dead leaves, little bumps you see in the back of trees, etc.

Stick insects reproduce by what we view as the 'normal fashion' and by parthenogenesis, meaning females don't need males to lay fertile eggs. Eggs laid by a female in this way are always clones of herself. In some parts of the world, like the US and Canada north of Texas, Arizona, etc., they're considered invasive. They eat plants (big surprise), and because of their reproductive ways, can multiply their numbers quickly. Thankfully, a good freeze will kill off most numbers, although eggs can survive colder temperatures in some species.

These guys actually make great pets. They're easy to care for and feed, they're charismatic and really cool to watch. They like being on people (we're warm) and don't move quickly. At home, we have some Indian Red-knees, but we're very careful to never let them out--we live in Oregon and they can devastate crops like raspberries and their eggs survive our mild winters.

Finally, the coolest thing about Phasmatodeans...very recently, a new organ has been discovered in them. It's function is as yet unknown, and very little published information is available, but it's thought to be a sensory organ having to do with they're cryptic lives.

Stick insects can get quite large:

This fellow looks a lot like most stick insects, and like the ones I have at home:

Here's an example of how convincing they can be as a branch!

Neuroptera, the ant lions (aka net-winged insects)

This group of insects includes lace-wings, but is best known for their form in the 'juvenile' or nymph stage. The order contains about 6,000 species. Most nymphs are highly predatory, actively seeking out or ambushing prey. Some species that eat aphids are used for pest control. Others, most commonly known as 'ant lions', dig funnel-shaped pits in sandy soils, the sides at just the right angle so that prey that falls in can't get out.

They can be really creepy and scary looking as nymphs (Hollywood has certainly taken advantage of this):

but as adults, some are actually pretty.

Best of luck!

WIP: http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... =6&t=12786" target="_blank" target="_blank (bug)

http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... =6&t=13419" target="_blank (Serenity)
rcperryls

Re: New November Bingo: INSECTS! First numbers posted

Post by rcperryls »

I wouldn't have thought that anyone could make most insects interesting (other than dragon flies, butterflies and ladybugs) but you have succeeded. Stick insects are pretty neat. No comment on the ants other than creepy. I didn't get either but learned a lot.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
ersa76

Post by ersa76 »

Thank you stick prettyones!
bookknurd

Post by bookknurd »

None for me today, but I loved the information!
hularac

Post by hularac »

I'll stick with the sticks! :roll: --Carol in Honolulu (I even walk with a stick)
stitchingmae

Post by stitchingmae »

I got both :dance: :dance: :dance:
2 for me!
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

I certainly agree that stick insects can grow large - saw a huge one (by my standards anyway) one day here it was about 2 1/2 to 3" long.!!!! Fascinating watching him for a while.

Off to a flying start with both of them today.

Thanks Ketta for all the info.

WIPS
nachosmiley

Post by nachosmiley »

None for me today......but gadzooks I have never seen a stick insect that big before!! That would freak me out if I found it crawling around my home<shudder> :shock: :D (They do look amazing though!)
W.I.P.
My Altair chart 66.11%
Chatelaine Mystery XV-Deep Blue Sea 6/12
HAED Mini Fairy Book 43.55%
HAED Lady in the Meadow 13.07%
Finishes
Duality
Zelda valentine
Beware of the DM
HAED SK Oak King
Magic Dragon
Ketta

Post by Ketta »

And now for today's picks (translation: get ready to learn more than you ever wanted to know about....):
2. Zygentoma
18. Hemiptera

Zygentoma: Silverfish, firebrats, etc.

The bane of librarians, used bookstores, and literary collectors of all types. Silverfish are found around the world, wherever a bit of dampness might occur and food is available, you're sure to find them. Many people have heard of silverfish but have no clue what they look like--and many people have seen them yet not realized they're silverfish. I was in this group until a few years ago, as I'd seen them many times in my tub.

Mainly, insects in this family eat starchy foods, like cereals, moist wheat flour, glue in the bindings of books (NOT the paper, which is cellulose and they can't digest that) and wallpaper, fungi, etc. You can assume you have silverfish if you live in a home that has a 'moisture problem'....and when you open that book you've been meaning to read and the pages fall out, you KNOW you have silverfish.

The Order Zygentoma is considered one of the most ancient insect lineages, possessing characteristics that are considered 'basal'. They don't have wings and they don't have any notable transition stage from egg to adult.

You've probably seen them:

And this is probably how most imagine them:

Hemiptera: true bugs

This is one incredibly diverse order of insects! It includes leafhoppers, assassin bugs, cicadas, treehoppers, and loads more. Their distinguishing characteristic from other orders is that all have sucking mouthparts (like straws) that they use to suck liquid from plants, other insects, and other food sources. There are an estimated 50,000 to 80,000 species (depending on which taxonomist you ask), and they've developed some pretty weird modifications to their bodies. Their mouthparts have been modified more like a 'beak' rather than a tube-like proboscis seen in butterflies and moths, and it is more rigid and usually tipped with a sharp point for piercing food sources.

Hemipterans are generally harmless to humans directly, but are crop pests in the form of aphids and scale bugs. Ironically, there are members within this family who feed on aphids (and other insects). Some species are mimics, looking like ants or spiders (or even smelling like them, as I'll explain in a moment). Others are brilliantly colored, and some have some really crazy behavior.

One of my part-time jobs on campus is working under a grant from the American Museum of Natural History, databasing the collection we have at Oregon State University of insects in the Hemiptera order. There are tens of thousands of specimens!! OSU's collection stands at around 3 million total insect specimens, and it's quite diverse. We apparently have the largest collection of insects native to the Pacific Northwest.

Anyway, this is what it looks like when we database-we organize by locality (where the insect was collected), input data into the AMNH database, then neatly arrange them all in boxes:

The OCD tendencies in me finds this job quite cathartic! :)

Leafhopper:

A colorful shield bug:

Many true bug species have crazy modifications to their exoskeletons...many of which serve an as-yet unknown purpose:

And of all the true bugs, these are my favorite: assassin bugs. Many assassin bugs eat other insects (well, all of them do this), capturing them and sucking out their insides, then rubbing the corpses all over themselves so they smell like their prey. That way, they can easily infiltrate nests or get close to their prey in other ways. But some take it to the 'nth degree' by actually gluing corpses to themselves. Often, they'll have several different species pasted to their backs, happily invading nests and luring prey to eat. Gruesome...but since behavior is absolutely my favorite thing to study, I find it incredibly cool!