Pacific Northwest Tour Bingo -- Twelfth numbers posted!

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

Squirrel

Re: Pacific Northwest Tour Bingo -- Twelfth numbers posted!

Post by Squirrel »

In actual fact I am about to email Ketta with my numbers as having rechecked them I think - only think mind you - I might have bingo which is mighty scary as I have no idea how to do this. oooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
bookknurd

Post by bookknurd »

Good luck Squirrel!
**Signature Under Construction**
(will update soon with current WIPs and other info :dance: )
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:dance: :dance: :x: Go for it Sally!!!!!
Hope you win and then you get to do the next Bingo! (Lots of help available if you need it. Remember it doesn't have to be complicated)

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Ketta

Post by Ketta »

Congratulations SQUIRREL! You are the winner of the Pacific Northwest Tour Bingo! :balloons:

I've replied to your PM, so let me know if you'd like help how to do images. Oh, and I forgot to say in my reply to let me know if you'd like a HAED certificate or one from another site. And your email for the certificate. Whew! I'm not fully awake yet, apparently.

I'm so glad that so many of you have enjoyed the pictures and info. I will post the numbers that weren't picked with accompanying info within the next day or so. Thank you all so much for playing, and for your patience when I couldn't post on some days due to work kicking my butt!

:wine:
Blog: http://ketta-ketta.blogspot.com/" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... =6&t=12786" target="_blank" target="_blank (bug)

http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... =6&t=13419" target="_blank (Serenity)
LadyS

Post by LadyS »

:dance: :dance: Congratulations, Sally!!!! :dance: :dance:
Laura (aka lsschwartz on HAED BB)

WIPs
Krystal (HAED)
Middle Earth Map (HAED)
Snowman&Friends Stocking (Dimensions)
12 Days of Christmas SAL
Little One (Dimensions)
bookknurd

Post by bookknurd »

Way to go Sally! Can't wait for the next bingo!
**Signature Under Construction**
(will update soon with current WIPs and other info :dance: )
socialsue

Post by socialsue »

Congratulations, Sally !!!!!!!!!!!!

socialsue :applesauce:
perftangel

Post by perftangel »

Yay! Congrats! :D
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

YAY!!!!! Congratulations!! Now you have the fun of thinking what kind of Bingo you will run! And don't forget to let us know what you pick for your prize.

Carole
:wub:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

Well done Sally!!! You'll have fun doing the next bingo, I'm dying to win so I can host one!!

Ketta, thank you for a great Bingo. I love the way that every different bingo is so interesting and informative even if its about something you knew nothing about, or something you know well.

Niki xxxx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
Lizzieh

Post by Lizzieh »

Congratulations Sally and well done for a gret competition Ketta
Liz

WIPIn rotation
Quick Stitch Tulips
Egyptian heart
Pretty pastels
Peek a boo

UFO
HAED storykeep

2014 finishes
Parent's garden
wwdiva

Post by wwdiva »

Woohoo Sally!!! :applesauce: Congratulations! :balloons:
This was my first bingo and I had so much fun. Thank you Ketta for all your wonderful pictures and information. It was brilliant!!
Looking forward to the next!
Cheers :toast:
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Thanks everyone. Time to study some things up.

I will give you a teaser word "Australasia" which maybe for the new Bingo, if I can work out how to do it. Sign up and info will be up by Monday I hope. Need to get some lessons from DD & SIL over the weekend about posting info from various sources.

Thank you Ketta for such a lovely and informative Bingo.

I will now PM you having already started my research - where do I want my gift certificate from!!! :lol:

Playing
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
tiffstitch

Post by tiffstitch »

Congratulations Sally!! :balloons: And can't wait for your bingo!
Ketta

Post by Ketta »

As promised, here's a (lengthy) post with the remaining numbers that weren't picked:

7. Willamette Valley

This most-populated region of the state of Oregon is nestled between mountain ranges that surround it on three sides: east, west, and south. Due to this placement, the broad, flat nature of the land, and the fertile soils which result from Ice Age conditions, the Willamette Valley is incredible farm land. So many things can be grown here that it's easier to list the things that you don't see grown here, like corn and hops.

This is the region where I currently live, and two of Oregon's major universities are in the Willamette Valley: Oregon State University (where I am currently attending, on my last year getting my Bachelor's) and the University of Oregon. OSU was founded originally on an agricultural base, and the lands they use are spread throughout the valley. They're very expansive...one of the sites I had to check for an internship this summer took two hours to log on a good day!

Ancient people and First Peoples/Native Americans knew the benefits of the area, and like the Puget Sound, some tribes didn't have to travel far and had more permanent settlements, particularly toward the coast. The Coast Range mountains cause a rainshadow effect yet the Cascades pull a lot of precipitation, so the balance of rainfall is excellent most years. This year's summer has had a lower amount of rainfall than normal, but not drastically so...the climate here is nearly perfect for a wide range of people, and it's no surprise it's so populated.

10. The Gorge

Another place I've driven by countless times but never visited! Famous for it's beauty and amphitheater, people flock to the Columbia River Gorge for many reasons...the most popular being to see popular music artists play at the venue that seats 20,000 people. Unfortunately, as you can see in this picture, too many people have gotten wise to the idea of sitting on the grassy hills outside the outdoor amphitheater to listen to the shows, and ticket sales have plummeted. This year they'll start blocking off those areas--tickets to The Gorge shows aren't as spendy as most other venues and some really big music artists play there, so I'm in support of this for the most part.

I've heard great things about this area, and I do plan to catch a show there someday.

14. Mt. Hood

In some ways Mt. Hood is similar to Mt. Rainier. Located about 50 miles from a big city (Portland), and the same type of feature, a stratovolcano, Mt. Hood is the tallest mountain in Oregon and among the 'loftiest' due to prominence. It's an active volcano but imminent eruptions are not nearly as likely as those possible by Mt. Rainier. However, glacial ice sheets could cause just as much damage.

Mt. Hood is incredibly popular for skiing, hiking, and climbing. Many climbers find Mt. Hood among the most challenging to climb, even the most experienced consider this mountain difficult. This year, at least two climbers of died and a snowboarder died recently when part of a snow-covered ice sheet collapsed beneath him. Several people have also been lost (and found) on Mt. Hood this year.

22. Oregon Coast

The Oregon coast stretches just over 360 miles from north to south along Oregon's west side. A range of mountains runs most of the length as well, forming the Coast Range. Highway 101 runs along this coast and there are many tourist towns and spots to visit along the way. Famous for fantastic geological features, beautiful scenic sites, fishing, and in some areas, oceanic richness, this is really a region you can't miss when visiting the Pacific Northwest. Many educational sites, like Hatfield, provide indispensable opportunities for college students not only in the state, but in the world.

I try to visit every year, and my mother will hopefully be moving there within the next year, to Lincoln City. Newport is a short drive away, and there is a great aquarium there that is a fantastic visit. My favorite part is going through the big tube where fish swim all around you--including sharks!

Four more to go, stay tuned for the last few!

WIP: http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... =6&t=12786" target="_blank" target="_blank (bug)

http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... =6&t=13419" target="_blank (Serenity)
millymolly

Post by millymolly »

congrats sally :) :applesauce:
Amanda =]

WIP
Cloudsfactory Epic Potter & Cut thru Pirate Ship
HAED Mini Awakening Spring Fairy
Shameful UFOs Thread here 3 of 25 finished
Ketta

Post by Ketta »

23. San Juan Islands

The San Juan Islands are an archipelago that lies between Vancouver Island (Canada) and Washington State (the US). Part of the state of Washington, they were heavily logged during the 1800s. However, most of the islands are covered in extensive second-growth forest that, just as with parts of the Olympic Rainforest, are hard to discern with the untrained eye from true old-growth stands. There are rare parts of the San Juans that have some old-growth stands, most of which are now protected and studied.

Containing over 400 islands and rocky bits (couldn't think of a better name!), the San Juan islands are an important tourist destination, for everything from kayaking to whale-watching (particularly orcas).

26. Vancouver, BC and Vancouver, WA

With over 2.3 million people in Vancouver, BC, it's considered the third-most populated city in Canada. Incredibly diverse, both ethnically and linguistically (according to Wikipedia), around 52% of people who live in Vancouver do not speak English as a first language. I've heard from those who frequent Vancouver that "If you can't find it to eat there, you can't find it to eat anywhere" in regards to worldly cuisine. Vancouver, BC is also considered one of the 'most livable' cities in the world. I haven't visited for a very long time, and I really need to--between it, the Pacific Northwest in general, and New Zealand are the three places on my list of areas I want to live in for the rest of my life.

Vancouver, BC has seen an uptick in popularity in several different venues, one of which is filming sites. An interesting and (in my opinion) very well-done show called Intelligence was filmed there over it's two running seasons. This city is also a perfect representation of the Pacific Northwest, in that temperate rainforest once covered the area (and still survive nearby), it's one of the warmest cities (relatively) in Canada, with the most temperate climate, and it's set against a backdrop of beautiful mountain scenery.

Vancouver, WA (Washington) is directly across the Columbia River from Portland, OR. There's a love-hate relationship between the two cities, with most people wanting a resolution about many issues: the aging bridge that spans the river between the two cities, the animosity toward 'Couvs' from Oregonians in general for avoiding taxes (Washington State has a sales tax while Oregon does not, so there's lots of border-hopping to avoid sales tax) and bad driving (of course, Washingtonians feel the same way, in reverse!).

Even though Vancouver (or 'the Couv') is significantly smaller than Portland, it's spread-out city planning makes it seem much larger. A lot of people live in Vancouver and work in Portland; again to avoid certain types of taxes. Oregon has a property tax that's fairly high, so this style of living suits many. Vancouver hosts the Clark County fair, one of the biggest and best in Washington. It also used to host the biggest fireworks display west of the Mississippi until 2009...I could sit on my roof and watch it...but the recession resulting from the housing bubble cut their budget by more than half.

27. Sisters

Sisters is a very small town in eastern Oregon, though it is growing. Going from 938 in 2000 in 2010, Sisters is a great tourist stop. As a backdrop for the little town, three mountains rest close together, a likely reason for the name of the town. Scenically a beautiful area, located relatively close to the Malheur Refuge.

The town was originally established as a military post and port in response the the Palute Indian Wars that plagued the region in the 1860s, and has remained ever since, currently has a push-off point for recreationists and naturalists due to it's location--close to great adventure areas and refuges and national forests.

28. Pike Place Market

Just as with the Space Needle, you really can't visit Seattle without wandering through the Pike Place Market. I LOVE this place! Loads of fresh food in the outdoor market and great stuff along the 'inner sanctum' part of the market. Pike Place Market is likely most famous for 'those guys throwing fish' when you first walk in from the main street level on the outside...

wwdiva

Post by wwdiva »

Thank you for posting the remaining locations Ketta. :applesauce:
All but one of these I believe were in my selection of numbers as these are among my favourite places and Vancouver BC is home!
Any of you coming this way, be sure to let me know and i will be more than happy to be your tour guide.
Ketta, I think the Tourism offices for the Pacific Northwest areas should be putting you on the payroll. :dance:
Thanks again
Ketta

Post by Ketta »

Ha! Thanks wwdiva, it would be great if they did! Sorry the luck didn't go your way this time, hopefully the next bingo you play will treat you better. :)

I hope to travel a bit next summer, and if I get to make it up to Vancouver BC, I'll definitely take you up on that offer.

wwdiva

Post by wwdiva »

Ketta wrote:Ha! Thanks wwdiva, it would be great if they did! Sorry the luck didn't go your way this time, hopefully the next bingo you play will treat you better. :)

I hope to travel a bit next summer, and if I get to make it up to Vancouver BC, I'll definitely take you up on that offer.
It's a deal! That would be so fun to meet a forum member in person.