Vermont-alicious BINGO! Lizzieh is the winner!!

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

tiffstitch

Re: Vermont-alicious BINGO! 7th numbers up June 14

Post by tiffstitch »

Squirrel wrote:Tiffany - you really are amazing just moved house and still keeping up posting the numbers. Thank you for your efforts and all the wonderful info about Vermont.
Thank you Sally, and everyone for your comments. I'm really glad you're enjoying the bingo and glad I can keep it up almost every day. :wub:
socialsue

Post by socialsue »

7/10 so far...... wondered who will win this game ???

Lovely information, Tiffany!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you! :wub:

socialsue
backafteradozenyrs

Post by backafteradozenyrs »

That #12 is no turkey for me, it's my 9th number! (where's the turkey smiley when ya' need one?)
Diana
WIP
Rejoice in Today Rooster=Stoney Creek
White Dorkings=Leisure Arts
White Wedding-Ellen Maurer-Stroh

Finished Masterpieces:
His Name Is Jesus
Never too old for teddy
Turn off the water sign
Debbies bookmark
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

:applesauce: Got both today bringing me up to a lovely 8/10.

Good luck to us all. There will be a winner soon I am sure. :D
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:D I love to see wild turkeys. We used to drive through the National Forest near us and bird watch and it was so much fun when we'd see a Mama turkey and her poults (I had to look that one up) crossing a road or path in the forest. Not often, but occasionally. I also love them because they bring me up to 9/10! Getting down to the wire now.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

Well done considering the move!!

I'm now at 7/10 but I think someone will win this v soon!!!

Niki xxx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
tiffstitch

Re: Vermont-alicious BINGO! numbers up June 18

Post by tiffstitch »

Today's numbers are 1 and 25 - any winners??

1. Lake Champlain http://www.lcmm.org/shipwrecks_history/ ... istory.htm" target="_blank" target="_blank

Lake Champlain has been in constant use since humans have lived near it. Indigenous peoples used it for food, water, transportation, spiritual guidance, and adapted tools to use to reap the benefits of the lake.

In 1534 Jacques Cartier is believed to have stumbled on Lake Champlain (although it wasn't called that then!) but did not fully investigate the area. Instead he traded with St. Lawrence river Iroquois and unfortunately left a legacy of disease that decimated the Champlain Valley indigenous peoples.

In 1609 Samuel de Champlain discovered the lake and valley and a route from the St. Lawrence all the way down to the Hudson River (also not called that yet!). Henry Hudson would sail up the Hudson River shortly thereafter. The 1640s saw the indigenous peoples constantly warring with each other, despite the Jesuits desire to convert them all to Christianity and have them be at peace. The Jesuits were French, and not all the indigenous peoples trusted them.

During 1664-1763 there were constant battle between the British and French for control of Lake Champlain. The war ended around 1760 when the British used a three-pronged attack to hit the French in Canada. They came from Lake Ontario, the St. Lawrence, and up Lake Champlain. The French retreated to Montreal and burned most of the lands behind them (including where we used to live in Isle-Aux-Noix).

With settlement in 1763 came the issues with New York State and New Hampshire both claiming Champlain Valley as theirs (enter the Green Mountain Boys). Then in 1775-1783 came the Revolutionary War and Lake Champlain played a key part in the victory over the British. Some of you may be surprised to learn that Benedict Arnold played a key part in the early victories over the British taking Lake Champlain forts and important British vessels.

Once the Americans came into Canada that was a different story, and they eventually retreated back to the U.S. after being frozen trying to take over Quebec City. The British regained control of Lake Champlain, although as we all know, they did lose the war.

After the Revolutionary War all goods from Canada were under embargo, however, all peoples that lived on the Lake needed these goods, and they mostly ignored the embargo. But soon enough we come to the War of 1812, where again Lake Champlain played a key role. Shortly after the end of the war the Champlain Canal was built, and that changed most of the trade over to U.S. sources instead of Canadian sources. The Canal helped the Champlain Valley enter into the rest of the world's markets.

Things were going well on the Lake for many years, but in 1874 the railroads started to get built and that really cut into the Lake economy. However, in the 1930s bridges that spanned the lake were built and commerce picked up again. Now the lake is mostly used for recreation, although there are still economic ventures, particularly the ferries that cross from Plattsburgh, NY to South Hero, VT and from further south in New York to Burlington, VT. The bridges can't cross the widest part of the lake, so the ferries run almost all year.

Sorry this one was so long, but here are a few map photos to give you an idea of the size of Lake Champlain.

25. Quechee Gorge http://www.quecheegorge.com/" target="_blank" target="_blank

Quechee Gorge is also called "Vermont's Little Grand Canyon". It's a pretty amazing sight, and very different from most of the other landscapes in Vermont. Around 200,000 visitors check out the Gorge and state park every year for fishing, canoeing, hiking and snowshoeing. There's also the Vermont Institute of Natural Science nearby.

The Quechee Gorge was formed about 13,000 years ago by the receding glaciers. The mechanism is pretty fascinating and can be read about here if you're interested. Basically, due to the ice sheets there was a natural dam that broke and an enormous waterfall eroded down to bedrock to create the incredible gorge you can see today.

I've heard that some hot air balloon captains will take you under the bridge across the gorge, but I don't know if I'd be brave enough for that. Here are a couple photos of the gorge and bridge.

rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Not me today, but there are some who are very very close also so good luck to all of you! Interesting info about Lake Champlain. What I didn't realize is that most of the Lake is in Vermont and New York as I always have thought of it as mostly in Quebec, though I don't know where I got that idea. Lovely photos and also of the Gorge. Don't know that I'd love going over it or under it.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Ketta

Post by Ketta »

*shakes fist at the sky* Arg! Always happens this way...stuck at 8/10, not a thing the last 2 days. Great picks, though! :) We have turkeys here in Oregon, but they're transplants (like the Californians...hehe), and the Fish & Wildlife department has done a lot of studies on them to see how they impact native species. Not much, apparently, so as long as they behave, they can stay (hunters like them, though).
Blog: http://ketta-ketta.blogspot.com/" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... =6&t=12786" target="_blank" target="_blank (bug)

http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... =6&t=13419" target="_blank (Serenity)
bookknurd

Post by bookknurd »

Sorry I haven't updated in a few days, I was out of town and the internet at the hotel wouldn't let me get on the forum. :(

Anyway, I'm up to 7/10 now, but none today.
**Signature Under Construction**
(will update soon with current WIPs and other info :dance: )
backafteradozenyrs

Post by backafteradozenyrs »

Nope, no #'s for me today....but it is very interesting learning about another state!
Diana
WIP
Rejoice in Today Rooster=Stoney Creek
White Dorkings=Leisure Arts
White Wedding-Ellen Maurer-Stroh

Finished Masterpieces:
His Name Is Jesus
Never too old for teddy
Turn off the water sign
Debbies bookmark
geekishly

Post by geekishly »

at 6/10. good luck to those that are close!
- Brandi

WIPs
Joan Elliot's "Grace"
"Sephina's Secret" by Illustrated Ink
Small Projects - Belle & Boo girl w/dove

my blog
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

:( None today so still on 8/10. Oh well tomorrow is another day.

Good luck all.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
nachosmiley

Post by nachosmiley »

Woo hoo! Got three over the past couple of days so now I'm at 8 too :dance:

Quechee gorge is now on my bucket list....which has gotten considerably longer since this bingo started!! :D
W.I.P.
My Altair chart 66.11%
Chatelaine Mystery XV-Deep Blue Sea 6/12
HAED Mini Fairy Book 43.55%
HAED Lady in the Meadow 13.07%
Finishes
Duality
Zelda valentine
Beware of the DM
HAED SK Oak King
Magic Dragon
socialsue

Post by socialsue »

Got one today. I now have 8/10. :D

socialsue
tiffstitch

Re: Vermont-alicious BINGO! numbers up June 19

Post by tiffstitch »

Holy cow... this is getting down to the wire!
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

Nope, none for me.....sigh...

Nxxx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
Lizzieh

Post by Lizzieh »

I've got 9/10 now!!!!!!!
Liz

WIPIn rotation
Quick Stitch Tulips
Egyptian heart
Pretty pastels
Peek a boo

UFO
HAED storykeep

2014 finishes
Parent's garden
tiffstitch

Post by tiffstitch »

Maybe there will be a winner today?

Today's numbers are 13 and 24.

13. White nose syndrome (bats) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_nose_syndrome" target="_blank

White nose syndrome was first identified in February 2006 and since then has been responsible for the deaths of over 6 million, almost 7 million bats. Mostly this syndrome has affected bats on the east coast, but it is spreading into the middle states faster and faster. It has also affected bats in Canada (Quebec, Ontario, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick).

The syndrome appears to be caused by a fungus, but there is no known treatment or way to stop transmission from bat to bat at this point. To try and prevent spread all caves that have been found to have bats with white nose syndrome are closed to caving activities.

The fungus can only survive in cool temperatures and mostly affects hibernating bats. The fungus causes the bats to wake too early from their hibernation and they die from starvation. There have also been bats found with wing membrane damage and scarring. The mortality rate in some caves has exceeded 90% and white nose syndrome(WNS) is therefore the greatest known threat to bats the species has ever known.

The little brown bat may be extinct within the next 20 years if no solution can be found to combat WNS. They're foreseeing a problem with insects and crop damage over the next 20 years as well if the bat population continues to be so endangered.

24. Same sex unions/take back Vermont

Many Americans may be familiar with the civil union law that Vermont instituted in July 2000, before any other U.S. state. There was a landmark case (Baker v. Vermont) that the Vermont Supreme Court ruled on and found that same-sex couples are "entitled under Chapter I, Article 7, of the Vermont Constitution to the same benefits and protections afforded by Vermont law to married opposite-sex couples". Civil unions are basically a legalized partnership similar to marriage.

This outcome polarized a lot of Vermont and the "Take Back Vermont" campaign started. Take Back Vermont wasn't just about the civil union law, but a wider dissatisfaction with the changes occurring in Vermont around 2000. Large numbers of affluent, liberal, Democratic (i.e. left-thinking) residents from out-of state were moving in. The old Vermonters often call these new residents "flatlanders".

Although this was over 10 years ago, you can still see some barns painted with huge Take Back Vermont signs. The movement was largely unsuccessful and their key leader, gubernatorial candidate Ruth Dwyer did not unseat Governor Howard Dean, who had signed the civil union bill.

In 2009, Vermont became the first state to allow same-sex marriage and the bill did not pass without contention. Although the bill passed through the Vermont House and Senate, the governor at the time, Jim Douglas vetoed the bill. However, the veto was overridden by both the House and the Senate (the first time that's every happened!) and was passed and went into effect September 1, 2009.

Some studies have stated allowing same-sex marriage will only benefit Vermont economically, and the majority of Vermonters think same-sex couples should be allowed to marry.

I don't really have any photos for this. :)
JessicaLeigh

Post by JessicaLeigh »

Only 5/10 for me. :( I'm so hoping there's a winner today! I want to see who gets it! :applesauce: :dance: