Bingo: My favourite endangered species

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

Serinde

Bingo: My favourite endangered species

Post by Serinde »

I chose the humpback whale. They are such intelligent creatures, developing their haunting songs and passing them on to new generations. Did you know that their songs differ slightly depending in which ocean they usually live? They harm no one, and we nearly hunted them to extinction so we could lubricate our machines with their rendered blubber.

The story might have a longer-term happy ending. We stopped hunting them because of the weight of popular disapproval, and also because it was clear that this resource was exhaustible. I wonder how long it will take us to make this connection -- and find good alternatives -- in regard to petroleum?
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

Thanks Serinde, Just listening to their song is so moving. they are amazing.
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

The Red Squirrel
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_squirrel

Well they live in the woods at the end of my garden! I know how rare they are in the UK but we are Very privileged to have them so close. They took all the nuts from the beech trees and buried them under the wood pile! There were 3 of them playing out there one morning too.

http://www.payrieres.eu/Tarn_et_Garonne ... uirrel.JPG

This photo was a bit far away but you can see the nut in it's mouth!

Thank you Jilly for including the Red Squirrel in your list!
:D :D :D :D
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

Fantastic photo Wendy :D I am so envious, I haven't seen one since I lived in Cambridge as a child, we used to walk to a bus stop outside the Scott Museum, just to see them leaping about in the trees in the grounds there.
To some people on the forum it may seem a strange inclusion, but they are in serious trouble here.
Thank you for picking them Wendy :D
mags

Post by mags »

Yes, we've got the grey ones here :roll: , but the red ones are much prettier, and of course native.
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Tiger
My favourite endangered species is the Tiger,Just because I like them especially the white ones!
mags

Post by mags »

Song Thrush

I had great difficulty choosing a 'favourite' as there were so many. Went for the song thrush as this was close to home. I have actually had a pair this year for the first time :D . Have seen one in the garden most years around this time, but this is the first time I have had two. My favourite bird is the blackbird. I have a pair that come for sultanas every day, several times a day :roll: but I wish the blackbirds would not chase off my thrushes :lol:
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
Little Stitcher

Post by Little Stitcher »

Bottlenosed Dolphin - I have always loved dolphins since I was little and when I went to Queensland a few years ago I got to swim with them :D
agi

Post by agi »

Dolphins for me, too.
I learnt to love all animals, and dolphins, too, from my daughter when she was little. Dolphins were her favourite - we read a lot of books about them, and she drew endless pictures of them. But I haven't seen real ones yet.

(Actually, I am toying with the idea of converting one of her early pictures into cross stitch - would be interesting.)
Agi

"The world, as a colourful knot of threads, has turned into a memory, and now you cannot be sure whether it was real."
(Géza Ottlik, Hungarian writer)

My blog