Geology rocks Bingo. Yagam1 is our winner!!!

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

Ketta

Re: Geology rocks Bingo. Fourteenth numbers up 25/11/12.

Post by Ketta »

Up to 8/10 of now. Getting close, good luck everyone! :)
Blog: http://ketta-ketta.blogspot.com/" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... =6&t=12786" target="_blank" target="_blank (bug)

http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... =6&t=13419" target="_blank (Serenity)
yagam1

Post by yagam1 »

Wow. Everyone is going to win it tomorrow!! LOL! It will be a race to the "bingo".
Yagami

WIP
Bucilla, Our Little Blessing Birth Record
Janlynn, Tiger Wildlife Mini
jocellogirl

Post by jocellogirl »

yagam1 wrote:Wow. Everyone is going to win it tomorrow!! LOL! It will be a race to the "bingo".
You're dead right yagam1. I don't know how they did it, but the girls have pulled the numbers so that everyone is on 8 or 9 today :shock: . I'm not posting the numbers now, as I'm at work and don't have the info on this computer. I'll try and do it when I get home (about 6.30 tonight). If I haven't posted the numbers by 7.00pm GMT tonight, it'll be when I get back from tonight's concert about 10.30pm GMT.

I thought it only fair to give you all an idea of what time the final info will be posted.

:shamrock: Good luck to all :shamrock:
Jo x

WIP:
Celtic Autumn

On the back burner:
HAEDs Rhyme and Reason
Trio Godspeed Sistine Chapel

Around the World in 80 stitches, Herbularius
Lessa54

Post by Lessa54 »

I think it's a cunning plot by your girls to keep us all hooked to this forum :lol: I'm on 9/10 :D
WIP
Rose Window
SQ Sunday afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte - pgs 1-3 complete
HAED Curl up with a Good Book
Around the World in 80 Stitches - pts 1-12 complete
Mabel's SOTW - Jan-June complete
HAED BB Sal
LadyS

Post by LadyS »

geekishly wrote:
LadyS wrote:I'm at 7/10, but I'm sure someone will bingo. This was a very interesting one!
You should double check all the numbers... there's only 30 numbers and we're up to the 27th & 28th numbers today, so you had to have missed one. One of the days had the same number for both, so double check it against the list on page one. Everyone has to be at 8, 9 or 10 out of 10 today.
You're right, I missed an entire day somehow. I'm actually at 9/10 as well. :shock:
Laura (aka lsschwartz on HAED BB)

WIPs
Krystal (HAED)
Middle Earth Map (HAED)
Snowman&Friends Stocking (Dimensions)
12 Days of Christmas SAL
Little One (Dimensions)
yagam1

Post by yagam1 »

jocellogirl wrote:
yagam1 wrote:Wow. Everyone is going to win it tomorrow!! LOL! It will be a race to the "bingo".
You're dead right yagam1. I don't know how they did it, but the girls have pulled the numbers so that everyone is on 8 or 9 today :shock: . I'm not posting the numbers now, as I'm at work and don't have the info on this computer. I'll try and do it when I get home (about 6.30 tonight). If I haven't posted the numbers by 7.00pm GMT tonight, it'll be when I get back from tonight's concert about 10.30pm GMT.

I thought it only fair to give you all an idea of what time the final info will be posted.

:shamrock: Good luck to all :shamrock:
LOL! The odds of this happening are so low! I bet this has not occurred before!
Thanks for posting what time you might post the info. I will be at work when the numbers go up, so having a narrower time frame is very helpful.
Yagami

WIP
geekishly

Post by geekishly »

Yes, thanks for giving us that info. It will make watching the forum much less obsessive if I only have to be obsessive about it during a specific time frame. ;)
- Brandi

WIPs
Joan Elliot's "Grace"
"Sephina's Secret" by Illustrated Ink
Small Projects - Belle & Boo girl w/dove

my blog
LadyS

Post by LadyS »

When I hosted the bingo it came down to the last 3 numbers. Everyone was 8 or 9 with 3 numbers to go, and all of those with 9 had chosen the same number.
Laura (aka lsschwartz on HAED BB)

WIPs
Krystal (HAED)
Middle Earth Map (HAED)
Snowman&Friends Stocking (Dimensions)
12 Days of Christmas SAL
Little One (Dimensions)
jocellogirl

Post by jocellogirl »

That's how it is now LadyS. You guys have all chosen one or other or both of the last two numbers. The chances of that happening are pretty low, never mind that these two numbers are the last two numbers picked. I think my girls will be going into politics to work at the treasury doing magic with numbers like that! :lol:
Jo x

WIP:
Celtic Autumn

On the back burner:
HAEDs Rhyme and Reason

backafteradozenyrs

Post by backafteradozenyrs »

geekishly wrote:Yes, thanks for giving us that info. It will make watching the forum much less obsessive if I only have to be obsessive about it during a specific time frame. ;)
OBSESSIVE? Who's obsessive? I'm *not* obsessive....... :roll:
Diana
WIP
Rejoice in Today Rooster=Stoney Creek
White Dorkings=Leisure Arts
White Wedding-Ellen Maurer-Stroh

Finished Masterpieces:
His Name Is Jesus
Never too old for teddy
Turn off the water sign
Debbies bookmark
jocellogirl

Post by jocellogirl »

Well folks, here they are, the numbers you've ALL been waiting for. Remember, it's the first to pm me who wins. I'll be going by the time stamp. Ready, steady, GO!!!!!

29. Topaz

Topaz is a silicate mineral of aluminium and fluorine with the chemical formula Al2SiO4(F,OH)2. Pure topaz is colourless and transparent but is usually tinted by impurities; typical topaz is wine, yellow, pale grey, reddish-orange, or blue brown. It can also be made white, pale green, blue, gold, pink (rare), reddish-yellow or opaque to transparent/translucent.

ImageImage

Orange topaz, also known as precious topaz, is the traditional November birthstone, the symbol of friendship, and the state gemstone of the US state of Utah.

Imperial topaz is yellow, pink (rare, if natural) or pink-orange. Brazilian Imperial Topaz can often have a bright yellow to deep golden brown hue, sometimes even violet. Many brown or pale topazes are treated to make them bright yellow, gold, pink or violet colored. Some imperial topaz stones can fade on exposure to sunlight for an extended period of time.
Blue topaz is the state gemstone of the US state of Texas. Naturally occurring blue topaz is quite rare. Typically, colourless, grey or pale yellow and blue material is heat treated and irradiated to produce a more desired darker blue.
Mystic topaz is colourless topaz which has been artificially coated giving it the desired rainbow effect
Topaz is commonly associated with silicic igneous rocks of the granite and rhyolite type. It typically crystallizes in granitic pegmatites or in vapour cavities in rhyolite lava flows like those at Topaz Mountain in western Utah. It can be found with fluorite and cassiterite in various areas including the Ural and Ilmen mountains of Russia, in Afghanistan, Sri Lanka, Czech Republic, Germany, Norway, Pakistan, Italy, Sweden, Japan, Brazil, Mexico; Flinders Island, Australia; Nigeria and the United States.

30. Trilobite

Trilobites are a well-known fossil group of extinct marine arthropods that form the class Trilobita. Trilobites form one of the earliest known groups of arthropods. The first appearance of trilobites in the fossil record defines the base of the Atdabanian stage of the Early Cambrian period (521 million years ago), and they flourished throughout the lower Paleozoic era before beginning a drawn-out decline to extinction when, during the Devonian, almost all trilobite orders, with the sole exception of Proetida, died out. Trilobites finally disappeared in the mass extinction at the end of the Permian about 250 million years ago. The trilobites were among the most successful of all early animals, roaming the oceans for over 270 million years.

When trilobites first appeared in the fossil record they were already highly diverse and geographically dispersed. Because trilobites had wide diversity and an easily fossilized exoskeleton an extensive fossil record was left behind, with some 17,000 known species spanning Paleozoic time. The study of these fossils has facilitated important contributions to biostratigraphy, paleontology, evolutionary biology and plate tectonics.
Exactly why the trilobites became extinct is not clear; with repeated extinction events (often followed by apparent recovery) throughout the trilobite fossil record, a combination of causes is likely. After the extinction event at the end of the Devonian period, what trilobite diversity remained was bottlenecked into the order Proetida. Decreasing diversity of genera limited to shallow water, shelf habitats coupled with a drastic lowering of sea level (regression) meant that the final decline of trilobites happened shortly before the end Permian mass extinction event. With so many marine species involved in the Permian extinction, the end of nearly 300 million successful years for the trilobite is hardly surprising.
The closest extant relatives of trilobites may be the horseshoe crabs or the cephalocarids.

Horseshoe crab

Cephalocarids

Trilobites appear to have been exclusively marine organisms, since the fossilized remains of trilobites are always found in rocks containing fossils of other salt-water animals such as brachiopods, crinoids, and corals. Within the marine paleoenvironment, trilobites were found in a broad range from extremely shallow water to very deep water. Trilobites, like brachiopods, crinoids, and corals, are found on all modern continents, and occupied every ancient ocean from which Paleozoic fossils have been collected. The remnants of trilobites can range from the preserved body to pieces of the exoskeleton, which it sheds in the process known as ecdysis. In addition, the tracks left behind by trilobites living on the sea floor are often preserved as trace fossils.
Trilobite fossils are found worldwide, with many thousands of known species. Because they appeared quickly in geological time, and moulted like other arthropods, trilobites serve as excellent index fossils, enabling geologists to date the age of the rocks in which they are found. They were among the first fossils to attract widespread attention, and new species are being discovered every year.
A famous location for trilobite fossils in the United Kingdom is Wren's Nest, Dudley in the West Midlands, where Calymene blumenbachi is found in the Silurian Wenlock Group. This trilobite is featured on the town's coat of arms and was named the Dudley Bug or Dudley Locust by quarrymen who once worked the now abandoned limestone quarries. It is also our company logo, as I work for a geotechnical site investigation company which was founded in Dudley.

Calymene blumenbachii, the Dudley Bug

Llandrindod Wells, Powys, Wales, is another famous trilobite location. The well-known Elrathia kingi trilobite is found in abundance in the Cambrian age Wheeler Shale of Utah.
Spectacularly preserved trilobite fossils, often showing soft body parts (legs, gills, antennae, etc.) have been found in British Columbia, Canada (the Cambrian Burgess Shale and similar localities); New York State, U.S.A. (Ordovician Walcott-Rust quarry, near Russia, and Beecher's Trilobite Bed, near Rome); China (Lower Cambrian Maotianshan Shales near Chengjiang); Germany (the Devonian Hunsrück Slates near Bundenbach) and, much more rarely, in trilobite-bearing strata in Utah (Wheeler Shale and other formations), Ontario, and Manuels River, Newfoundland and Labrador.
Trilobites are the state fossils of Ohio (Isotelus), Wisconsin (Calymene celebra) and Pennsylvania (Phacops rana).
Trilobite fossils are often found "enrolled" (curled up) like modern pill bugs for protection; evidence suggests enrollment helped protect against the inherent weakness of the arthropod cuticle that was exploited by anomalocarid predators.

Even the earliest trilobites had complex, compound eyes with lenses made of calcite (a characteristic of all trilobite eyes), confirming that the eyes of arthropods and probably other animals could have developed before the Cambrian. Improving eyesight of both predator and prey in marine environments has been suggested as one of the evolutionary pressures furthering an apparent rapid development of new life forms during what is known as the Cambrian Explosion.
Trilobite eyes were typically compound, with each lens being an elongated prism. The number of lenses in such an eye varied: some trilobites had only one, while some had thousands of lenses in a single eye. In compound eyes, the lenses were typically arranged hexagonally. The fossil record of trilobite eyes is complete enough that their evolution can be studied through time, which compensates to some extent the lack of preservation of soft internal parts.

Trilobite eye

I've really enjoyed hosting this, it's been fun researching all these topics. I hope you've all enjoyed the info and that I havn't used too many photos. Sometimes I don't know when to stop when I'm passionate about something :lol:
Jo x

WIP:
Celtic Autumn

On the back burner:
HAEDs Rhyme and Reason

yagam1

Re: Geology rocks Bingo. Final numbers are up!!!!

Post by yagam1 »

BINGO!

Maybe I am the first to say it?
:) It has been a great bingo game, Jo! And the most intense I have every played!
I thought the information and the pictures were wonderful!
Yagami

WIP
jocellogirl

Post by jocellogirl »

Congratulations to yagam1!!!!! :dance: :dance: :dance: You've really got your running shoes on!!
Jo x

WIP:
Celtic Autumn

On the back burner:
HAEDs Rhyme and Reason

Emmylou

Post by Emmylou »

ah 4 minutes too late.

:balloons: Congrats yagam1 :)
Emma Louise
http://emmystitches.com/
Cochonou14 on HAED BB

WIP
Wedding sampler
Café de Paris
HAED TT Kitten 2
Dimension's Travel Memories
HAED Mystic Garden
DMC's Vegetable Basket
HAED Mini Curl up with a good book
yagam1

Post by yagam1 »

Thanks much! This was a bingo of epic proportions, and I really enjoyed it!
Yagami

WIP
rcperryls

Re: Geology rocks Bingo. Yagam1 is our winner!!!

Post by rcperryls »

Right behind you but too late. I was on the phone and didn't check until just now. Talk about a race down to the wire! Congratulations yagam1! And Jo, thank you for one of the most interesting and certainly suspenseful Bingos we have had since I've been playing. Now it's up to yagam1 to come up with our next Bingo game. Looking forward to that!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
geekishly

Post by geekishly »

congrats, yagam1! I had to take my friend's daughter to dance class for her and just got home.
- Brandi

WIPs
Joan Elliot's "Grace"
"Sephina's Secret" by Illustrated Ink
Small Projects - Belle & Boo girl w/dove

my blog
backafteradozenyrs

Post by backafteradozenyrs »

:applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: :balloons: Congrats yagam1! :balloons: :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:
Diana
WIP
Rejoice in Today Rooster=Stoney Creek
White Dorkings=Leisure Arts
White Wedding-Ellen Maurer-Stroh

Finished Masterpieces:
His Name Is Jesus
Never too old for teddy
Turn off the water sign
Debbies bookmark
diamondradleylover

Post by diamondradleylover »

:applesauce: Congratulations yagam1! Stupid boyfriend needing a lift home! lol
Thank you for hosting the bingo!
WIP's

Cupcakes of the Month: Cupcake Two
HAED Mini Strawberry Surf
Cottage of the Month October
Gorjuss Winter Friend
pattiebelle

Post by pattiebelle »

Congrats to our winner and the next host of bingo. It's gonna be great, I'm sure!

:wub:
pattiebelle

"Gratitude is memory of the heart" (Jean-Baptiste Massieu)