New Bingo: Evolutionary Wonders - We have a WINNER!

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

kellyJune

Re: New Bingo: Evolutionary Wonders -- July 31 Picks UP!

Post by kellyJune »

I have five now five to go!!!

:dance:
kellyjune
socialsue

Post by socialsue »

I am on 6 !!!! :D

socialsue
kell

Post by kell »

Up to 5 now...
Ketta

Post by Ketta »

Happy first of August! Here are today's picks:

5. Orchids
17. Hummingbirds

Most people would agree that orchids are one of the most beautiful families of flowering plants. They have become a lot more common as houseplants in the last decade; I remember when having an orchid was uncommon due to cost. What most people don't realize is that, not counting cultivars and hybrids, there are over 20,000 known orchid species in the world. Many of these species are highly specialized, both in how and where they grow and how they're pollinated. Some species can only be pollinated by one species of insect, and their flowers are so specifically designed that they won't get pollinated if that insect isn't around. One of the most interesting to me is the Hammer Orchid, which is only pollinated by a certain species of male wasp. The female wasp of that species does not have wings and matures underground. When she's ready, she crawls out of the ground and climbs a high stalk of grass or other plant, expressing pheromones to attract a male wasp. When a male wasp arrives, he picks her up, flies away and mates with her on the wing. The flower of the Hammer orchid not only mimics the female wasp at the end of a stalk, but also copies and emits the same pheromone. When a male wasp comes along (and, by the way, timing is everything... the female wasps emerge at a certain time of year; if the orchid is too early or late, no pollination), it tries to grab the fake female. As he tries to fly away, he flops back and forth on the stalk until two pollen 'prongs' attach themselves to the male wasp. He eventually gives up, and if the Hammer orchid is lucky, he'll fall for the same trick and pollinate another orchid. It really blows my mind to think of the evolution behind this!

Here's a really pretty freebie I found of a pink orchid:
http://www.dmc-usa.com/mjRS/1/doc/diagr ... E-0812.pdf" target="_blank

Hummingbirds are one of the most amazing birds; with their unique wing and flight design, specialized diet, and beautiful shining plumage, almost everyone who sees them is transfixed. Many flowering plants and hummingbirds have evolved together; wherever you find species of hummingbirds that have incredibly long or long and curving bills, you'll find flowers that can only be pollinated by those hummingbirds. Feeding on a diet of almost purely nectar, hummingbirds have a very high metabolism and need to eat constantly. Since they can't eat at night, they go into a state of torpor when they sleep, slowing their heart rate drastically and allowing their body temperatures to drop. Most hummingbirds sleep facing east, so the morning sun warms them and helps wake them up.

Some hummingbird species have adapted (not to be confused with evolved) to live alongside humans. For example, Ruby-throated hummingbirds have altered their migration routes slightly to frequent nectar feeder stations maintained by people. Because of this, it is likely more Ruby-throats are able to reach their final destinations across the Gulf of Mexico. Another example is the Anna's Hummingbird, which also migrates, but in areas where I live, they stay through the winter because so many people feed hummingbirds (plus there are many volunteer feeder stations). Almost all hummingbird species that live where humans do learn to take food from nectar feeders.

Here's a link to a free calliope hummingbird pattern (links to both pages at the bottom of the link).

http://www.birdcrossstitch.com/CrossSti ... color.html" target="_blank
Blog: http://ketta-ketta.blogspot.com/" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... =6&t=12786" target="_blank" target="_blank (bug)

http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... =6&t=13419" target="_blank (Serenity)
tiffstitch

Re: New Bingo: Evolutionary Wonders -- Aug 1 Picks UP!

Post by tiffstitch »

Great write-ups and thanks for the links to the patterns.

No luck for me today though, still at 5.
Ravenfaerie

Post by Ravenfaerie »

I had both I am up to 5!!
WIP

Pirate Queen
Mirabilia Trick or Treat Fairy
Passione Ricamo Morning Fae
Nora Corbett Water Lily Pixie

Winter Is coming....

My Blog - http://stitchystitches.blogspot.com/
kell

Post by kell »

Ooh! I got BOTH of today's numbers - I'm up to 7!!! :)
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

one for me so that makes 6.

Tiffany: you didn't pick the same ones as me this time!
At least you didn't pick one of the same ones as me.

Carole
:D
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
socialsue

Post by socialsue »

I have 3 more left to go.

socialsue :D
Ketta

Post by Ketta »

Here are today's picks:

19. Crows and Their Relatives
31. Jaguarundi

Crows and their relatives, like jays, magpies, grackles, ravens, starlings, and mynahs, are the most intelligent among birds. Crows especially take the cake in this category, and more and more studies are being done on them. In fact, this is where I hope to focus my studies if I get to the Master's level!

The relative brain size among corvids is comparable to that of humans. Crows are fantastic problem solvers, and other aspects of their lives point to intelligence: living in family groups and raising their young as a group, and a social structure that is just beginning to be understood by researchers. How and why they have evolved this way is still a mystery, but studying them can help us understand how primates, including humans, evolved the way they have.

Some examples of how their intelligence has helped them adapt to life alongside humans: Where I live, they drop ripe horse chestnuts at traffic intersections so cars smash the nuts open. When the lights change, they dash out to get the food. They do this in many cities all over the world. In the last two decades, their populations have grown exponentially due to adapting to life with humans. They've learned where the best food is thrown away, gotten used to nesting in cities, and their family groups are larger since food sources are concentrated in smaller areas.

The Jaguarundi is likely the most 'un-catlike' member of the cat family. Having a long poofy tail, short, almost stumpy, legs, and a face and head more like a weasel than a cat, it's also one of the most odd looking cats, and sometimes called 'otter cats'. Native to Central and South America, they eat almost anything from insects to small rodents, birds, reptiles, and other small mammals. Considered one of the most opportunistic of wild cats, it is more successful and adapts easier to changes in habitat.

Both of these picks today represent opportunism. Both corvids and the jaguarundi can adapt to changes, and their diets are varying enough that, for their species, almost anything will do. This means that as people spread and take up more habitats, species like these will adapt easier and be more successful. When animals evolve in ways that makes them opportunistic, their survival is more likely over long periods of time that involve change.

Good luck everyone!

WIP: http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... =6&t=12786" target="_blank" target="_blank (bug)

http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... =6&t=13419" target="_blank (Serenity)
rcperryls

Re: New Bingo: Evolutionary Wonders -- Aug 2 Picks UP!

Post by rcperryls »

none today. stuck where I was at 6. maybe tomorrow if no one wins today.

Carole
:(
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
mechie

Post by mechie »

One yesterday and 2 today brings me up to 7! :dance:

mechie
WIP:
The Elementals (HAED) - Finished 9/42 Pages
Fall Fairy (Dimensions Gold) - Finished 4/4 Pages only backstitch left!
Springtime Roses Freebie (Chatelaine)
The Encounter - Finished 3/24 Pages (HAED)
socialsue

Post by socialsue »

None today! Still at 7 !

socialsue :D
tiffstitch

Post by tiffstitch »

None today, still at 5

Carole: hope you win this time then! :)
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Tiffany, I've only played twice and did win one so I can't really complain. I am learning lots of interesting things in the meantime. This is the most educational bingo.

Carole
:lol:
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
kell

Post by kell »

Goodness, I got another one - I'm up to 8! :)
Ketta

Post by Ketta »

I know we're getting close... :dance:

Here are today's picks:

7. The Snake and the Newt
11. Marine Iguana

The relationship between the snake (garter snakes and other small non-vipers who prey on salamanders) and the newt (more properly referred to as 'salamander' here in the US) is another example of coevolution. The rough-skinned salamander is fairly common, and I used to find them in every creek and pond where I grew up. Its main predator was the common garter snake or 'red racer' as we called them. There are several other species of salamander and snake that have a prey/predator link, but this is the one I know best. The salamander exudes a poison from its skin that the snakes hate; I've read it can be somewhat poisonous to the snakes, but mostly it tastes awful. The salamanders with the most potent poisons taste the worst, and tend to survive attacks. Snakes who have a high tolerance are able to eat the salamanders. Over eons, this coevolution has made for some very poisonous salamanders and some pretty tough-mouthed snakes!

Marine iguanas are native to the Galapagos Islands. Like many other animals that live there, they have evolved to thrive in a unique way. They eat algae and other soft plants that grow along the ocean floor close to the islands, and to do so, they must swim down several meters through cold water, wolf down as much plant material as they can in about 10 minutes, and swim back up and climb up the rocks to safety. Their bodies, like those of other reptiles, do not self-regulate when it comes to heat, and over time they have become very good at absorbing heat from their environment. They are black, to better absorb heat in the form of sunlight, and social, so they don't waste energy fighting for space on nice, hot rocks.

Good luck everyone! :shamrock:

rcperryls

Re: New Bingo: Evolutionary Wonders -- Aug 3 Picks UP!

Post by rcperryls »

:cry: but I still do like reading the information.

Carole
:(
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
mechie

Post by mechie »

None for me today :( . Biology is a subject I never studied much in school, so I'm really enjoying learning something really different for me.

mechie
WIP:
The Elementals (HAED) - Finished 9/42 Pages
Fall Fairy (Dimensions Gold) - Finished 4/4 Pages only backstitch left!
Springtime Roses Freebie (Chatelaine)
The Encounter - Finished 3/24 Pages (HAED)
Ravenfaerie

Post by Ravenfaerie »

Who hoo! Two again I'm on 7!!!!
WIP

Pirate Queen
Mirabilia Trick or Treat Fairy
Passione Ricamo Morning Fae
Nora Corbett Water Lily Pixie

Winter Is coming....

My Blog - http://stitchystitches.blogspot.com/