Lack of light

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Becca

Lack of light

Post by Becca »

I know there probably isn't an answer to this, but i thought there's no harm in asking. Usually i am fine doing my cross stitch pretty much anywhere, but in my room here in France once it starts to get dark the light in my room just isn't bright enough, which is really annoying because it means i can only do cross stitch during the daytime. I know there are simple answers like go and buy another light, but i am only here for 5 and a half more weeks and then i return to England so i don't want to buy anything. Does anyone have any ideas at all as to how i can make it easier to see what i'm doing?
catkin

Post by catkin »

:lol: I know what you mean. Here in dubai it gets dark quite early even in the summer months. I bought an energy saving cool daylight bulb from my local supermarket. They come in various sizes and are quite inexpensive. I use mine in an ordinary desk lamp and find it much better than a regular bulb.
Hope this is of some help.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Catkin has suggested exactly what I was going to suggest. Even if you can't find a daylight bulb, perhaps a highter watt bulb might help?

We have lots of daylight here in the summer and it's great to sit out, but there has to be a breeze or else the dreaded midge hoards attack. Bug spray and perle cottons don't mix!
natalia

daylight!

Post by natalia »

same thing here in Moscow, our winter evenings are so short that merely exist at all. I vote for the daylight bulb! it doesn't matter really if you stay there for 5 weeks or 5 months, it only matters that the eyesight will stay with you for your whole life and it's worth taking care of! also, it is easier to distinguish similar tints of colour in the daylight, so less tense for your precious eyes!
Becca

Post by Becca »

I tried looking for a clear bulb today but couldn't find one. I am a little worried about trying a higher watt bulb as the light does look a little dodgy to start with and i don't want to break it.
catkin

Post by catkin »

The daylight bulbs are not clear. They are special energy saving bulbs that are a funny shape. Mine is made by Philips but I'm sure other companies do them as well. I get mine from the supermarket and I know Ikea also do them. I'm sure any lighting shop would have them and could advise you. They are all different strengths and are a little more expensive than normal bulbs but give a much better light for stitching.
good luck. Joan
Becca

Post by Becca »

Hmm ok, i wonder what daylight bulbs are called in french. Also are they heavier or bigger than normal bulbs, because at the moment the light bulb is just hanging from the ceiling by its wire and i don't really want to put any more weight on it.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Becca: that's one scary light fixture! I know it's student housing, but couldn't somebody spring for a lampshade?! No, definitely don't fool with the wattage. I lived in Munich once upon a time, and the flat had bare wires hanging from the ceiling. Also no kitchen. Including, literally, no sink. :!:

Well, Natalia, our winter evenings start in the mid-afternoon and finish by 4. Then dark until after 9am. But then, I guess it is about 52 N in latitude here. Thank goodness for spring.
Becca

Post by Becca »

Well we have a kitchen at least. All the lights in the house are like that, i guess i should be thankful they actually work. When i first arrived here the bathroom light didn't work, we just had to use a tiny light above the sink which had a habit of turning itself off. Also the doorbell doesn't work, the washing machine doesn't work. We have recently had trouble with the shower leaking and being blocked, and today it seems we have no hot water. Although i was kind of desperate for somewhere to live, having just turned up in france with nowhere other than i had arranged to look at this place. It's not as bad as i make it sound i'm sure.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

No, dear, it's worse. Bet your mother doesn't know. :shock: But you aren't there much longer, are you? Ages ago, one of my flatmates did her term abroad in Archachon (is that how it's spelled?). Anyway, she had a wonderful stay, being called Miss all the time by the little French boys.

We eventually bought our kitchen in Munich from IKEA (first I'd come across it). We went by train. To Dachau. Very Odd. Cognative dissidence was alive and well and living in Bavaria.