stitching on black

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

mauveme

stitching on black

Post by mauveme »

I am presently working on a project that is stitched on black aida, I am having trouble seeeing what I am doing. Has anyone else done work on black and if so do you have any hints. Thank you Linda :?: olor=violet][/color]
Linda
lindagibb

Post by lindagibb »

Hi Linda

I have only sewn on black aida once and like you found it hard to see. The only way I could really do it was stitching in natural light or with a white towel or something similar on my lap when I was sewing.

I think if I had been doing it for myself it would have ended up a UFO but as I was asked to do it by my aunt I had to get on with it. But needless to say there was sometimes a blue haze around me when I was stitching. Don't think I will be stitching on black regularly, only if it is something I really want to do.

Hope this helps
from another Linda
mauveme

Stitching on black

Post by mauveme »

Thanks for the reply Linda,using white cloth sounds like a good idea, I will try that tomorrow. I tried a lamp on the floor but it was too bright. I'll let you know how I make out. I will never use back again and the only reason I am going to finish it is that it is a commission piece. thanks again Linda :D
Linda
purple-footprints

Post by purple-footprints »

Hi,

I bought a kit a while ago on black, it had wolves and trees on it. I bought it because Id asked my mother to take me to hobbycraft once, around 2 years ago now. She bored stiff and nagging me to hurry up, and she saw it and said how lovely it was. So I had this insane brainwave to buy it and stitch it for her for christmas.
Well here we are over 2 years later, and Ive done maybe a tenth of it and thats probaly a gross exageration.
Ive recently seen a pattern on black again of the planet earth, a lovely design that Id love to stitch.
I really must get back to the wolves first though.
Im holding out hope that perseverence will pay off. I recently bought a daylight lamp so Im hoping that using that will help, and i will try using a white cloth.

Just had a random thought as Ive been typing this message. What about using waste fabric??? Would that work?? Personnally Ive never used it, but Ive heard its straightforward to work with. If you lined it up carefully over the black then stitched on the waste it would be alot easier to see. If it would work ok, i have no idea; any comments on that one anyone??
mauveme

stitching on black

Post by mauveme »

That would probably work on a small project but the piece I am doing is 12 by 13, and you would have to be very careful to line everything up. Linda
Linda
catkin

Post by catkin »

Hi,
there are 2 companies that I know of who have lap lights especially for working with dark fabric. These are quite expensive but well worth it if you are having problems. If you know other stitchers or are in a club maybe you could join together and share one. Or it could be a good birthday gift :wink:
www.daylightcompany.com and www.laplight.co.uk
Best of luck
Joan
mauveme

stitching on black

Post by mauveme »

Hi Joan. thank you for the input, the white towel seems to be working, and is a lot cheaper lol Linda
Linda
natalia

silver pencil?

Post by natalia »

I once heard of using a special silver pencil, that is easy to see on both black and white aida, but I never came across one :( I badly need it for one of the projects, so if anyone knows where to get it, I'd be rally grateful :)
StitchingAgain

Post by StitchingAgain »

Gosh... i still remember my first cross stitch on black aida... And i swore NEVER to stitch on it again... lol! Of course I have - several times since... and still every time I swear never to do it again!

I just make sure I wear light trousers, as I don't use a frame.
Becca

Post by Becca »

There's this kit i would really like to do which is on black: http://www.sewandso.co.uk/cgi-bin/find/ ... 17259&ww=1

Is it really that bad stitching on black cos i don't want to get it if it is?
StitchingAgain

Post by StitchingAgain »

becca - I just adore that kit! Isn't it just the most gorgeous thing ever!?

Yes... stitching on black is awful. It really is. BUT - it's also worth it! Definately worth it! As I mentioned, I swore never to do it again after the first time... but I have several times since - and I've always been so plased with the result (much more pleased than stitching on white, as I know how much extra work went into the stitching on black). I say: Go for it!
Becca

Post by Becca »

Yeah ever since i saw it i was like wow i have to do that, but i have to finish the one i'm working on first.

Maybe since summer is getting closer and it's getting lighter then stitching on black won't be quite so bad.
purple-footprints

Post by purple-footprints »

Hi

That is certainly a lovely kit.... I also say go for it!!!

Yes, as youve heard said already, black is a pain to stitch on, but it is so so worth it.

I recently did a small piece on black, swans on water, with some water lillies in the foreground..... It does really look lovely. I have seen bought some charts for stitching on black, and saw a kit online of a cat meeting a hedgehog at dusk and thought I have to get that (although Ive since forgotten where i saw it).

So in conclusion, yes heard work, but worth the effort.
mauveme

stitching onblack

Post by mauveme »

Becca that is a cute kit but my god is is ever expensive!
Linda
Becca

Post by Becca »

Yeah it is expensive, i always seem to end up liking the expensive ones unfortunately.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

It's a lovely kit: I agree with everyone else. Do it!

But you have to report back on progress. I'm dithering over a stained glass window design which is also on black but looks wonderful www.stitchdirect.com/products.asp?recnumber=345

Nuts, I know. Expensive, too, mauveme! :(
Becca

Post by Becca »

The stained glass window is really pretty, shame they put it on that pink wall. Does it have to be done on black? The picture wasn't very big and i couldn't see if the black lines between the coloured parts were stitched or not.
mauveme

cute kit

Post by mauveme »

From the British web sites I have been on I find that the kits are almost double to what we would pay and they are even cheaper in the US Linda
Linda
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Yeah, that website leaves a lot to be desired! Some excellent charts and kits, though.

The black fabric forms the leading in the windows, so it isn't stitched. One could, I suppose, do it on ecru or a pearl grey and stitch the black, but then the colours of the windows would have to be changed (black leeches the life out colour so badly)... I have the original magazine, so just have to decide whether or not to spend the next two years working at it. (After all the other UFOs are completed, of course!)