Show pieces

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

welsh wendy

Show pieces

Post by welsh wendy »

Hello again :lol:
I visited the Birmingham show last year and noticed that all the cross stitch done as demo peices looked quite different to the ones i do. On closer inspection i found that they stand out more from the facric than mine. Can anyone explain this please?

Do they use three starnds to do these demo peices or do they pad them out with wadding? Maybe its me and i am doing it all wrong.

Thanks 8)
harsha

Post by harsha »

I think they have a wadding behind each piece :)

Do you usually iron your pieces? If you do.. iron on the back with a piece on towel underneath so that your stitches will not be crushed :)
laydenwithstitches

Show Pieces

Post by laydenwithstitches »

Wendy,
Quite often these demo pieces are stitched by professionals for the designer.
Stitching is truly a masterful skill and the professional stitcher has perfected the art of stitch tension. You'll never find a stitch that is pulled to tight in their work. It takes a long time to master this. I have been stitching over 25 years and doubt I'll ever have a piece that looks that good. I'm always in such a rush to see the progress made rather than concentrate on the quality. I would never willingly let anyone see the back of my work. That's where the professionals really shine.
Elaine
tina

Post by tina »

hi wendy, i'm going to the cross stitch show at Birninghan later this month, not been to one before, are they as good i've told. tina
bagpuss

Quality

Post by bagpuss »

Hi Wendy,

As a cross stitch designer, I can tell you that most demo designs are actually done on a machine. A very expensive machine, usually costing around £4000 and that is without all the add-ons.
They have special programmes for the machines but you will notice that most demo pieces are quite small. This is because, the sewing machines can only stitch to a certain size. Aproximately 8 x 10. The only time they are full size is when they have been done with industrial machines.

Happy Friday :)

Bagpuss.
purple-footprints

Post by purple-footprints »

Hi bagpuss, nice to see you here again. I for one have certainly missed you.

That is really interesting. I have never been to a show, or seen a professional piece of work.

As with most things in my life, I am completely self taught in most of what I do. When I started stitching, I just fancied having a go and so bought a kit. Im happy with what I do, but am finding my experience and knowledge beyond just a basic chart is very evident.

I have just finished my first admit at using evenweave. I stitched a card. I spent as much time unpicking as I did stitching. I found it very difficult to count. Also once completed I realised it was indeed 27 count and not 28 count, as it didnt fit the card appeture. I did manage to cut the appeture bigger, but it was fiddley.

My biggest area of let down is finishing a project once stitched, ie framing or making it into something.

Id love to go to a show or something, but alas as Im self taught the major pitfall I have is finding anyonewho shares this passion who would be willing to accompany me. I have many friend who admire the finished design, but the thought of going to a show like that would bore them to tears.

I am at least very grateful and prividged to be able to come here and share with you all. I am learning new things most times I log on, and inbetween times am enjoying meeting up.

So thanks everyone whos made that possible.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Well, Bagpuss, that makes me feel A Lot Better. For all these years I thought I was sloppy, incompetent or just a not-very-careful stitcher. MACHINES! :evil:

But now I feel lots better.

Purple-FP, don't worry. Stitching should be fun and relaxing. Perhaps exciting, too. And I certainly agree that the stitching is much more fun than the making up, but how can you show off your talents if you don't get the thing framed? (Our local framer has closed, and I'm looking for someone else, so I have an excuse at the moment...

I am also trying to figure out how to get to the show in Glasgow this month. It's more pressure of work than anything else, but I might just work through a weekend so that I can take a Friday off. Sounds good, don't you think? If you do go to a show, be sure to take lots of pennies. You can get the most amazing things for next to nothing. Last time, I came back with several bags of exciting fabric, threads, scissors, the odd kit... and had to hide them :!:
Becca

Post by Becca »

I'd love to go to a show, i don't know that anyone would want to go with me though.
purple-footprints

Post by purple-footprints »

Im getting seriously tempted to go to a show with all this talk.

I think my nearest would be birmingham nec. But I dont have anyone to go with, and if i took my kids, I think theyd be bored stiff after a short while.

I think if you make the effort to go that far, youd have to make a day out of it.

I have a friend whos going to the nec for an education show, and she told me that they give away loads of samples at shows, and that you can buy little bits extremely cheap. Of course there are bigger things that cost more, but compared to normal retail they are cheaper at shows.

Is that true for cross stitch shows also?

Do they have demos to watch, or things you can have a go at????

If so I think I may seriously look into going even if it means dragging the kids along or goign on my own....

Does anyone know roughly how much it costs to go?