Backside of project?????????

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Rose

Backside of project?????????

Post by Rose »

I don't understand why so many people are so worried about the backside of there work. Is it as clean as the front, how can I make it less messy. What difference does it make. It is the BACK SIDE. I never have and never will worry about how it looks. Some of my best work has the worst looking backs but who cares it is going to be hidden any way. Even if I stitch on a towel, or blanket I always cover the back so what does it matter. Sorry I just don't see why so many people freak out about how the back looks.

Post by coffee_freak »

i never worry about the back unless i'm selling the piece unframed or made into anything..just the flat fabric..then I worry.
If you get a comment of a :smile:,I must be holding my :coffee:
http://coffeecupcakescrossstitch.blogspot.com/
WIP:
Joan Elliot Spring Fairy
Cupcakes
Snuggle Up
2012 HD's
Bohemia
Fairy Friend
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

I used get alittle obsessive about my backs. (which are nothing to brag about). I start out great but somewhere along the line it gets messed up. So I decided to just "let it go". As long as there are no knots and no threads visible from the front I am happy. My sister in law has the words neatest backs. It's really intimidating :( . Every stitch on the back is just as neat as the front. I could just kick her hehe.
Linda
Genevieve

Post by Genevieve »

Like you, Mauverne, I only think about the backs in terms of whether threads which are carried across an area can be seen from the front - if that makes sense! So if the thread is dark, I make sure I don't trail it across an area which won't be stitched on. Having said that, I don't worry overmuch about the back, particularly if it is going to be covered - which mostly it is. Have you noticed that whenever someone picks up a piece of embroidery the first thing they do is turn it over to look at the back - why? Even I do it. :roll: Your sister-in-law sounds like a perfectionist, Mauverne.
Collette

Post by Collette »

Heck, I have enough problems worrying about the front to care much about the back :D I am of the opinion too what does it matter - if you get it covered no-one will see it! :twisted:
speystitch

Post by speystitch »

We all stitch for enjoyment, If we stitched always thinking about what people don't see ( the back!) it would become a chore and I think we have enough of those in the house, ( my chore is ironiig!!) to do ! :D
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Like everyone else I try to keep it neat but I am not obsessive about it. No knots and no long traily bits to show through though.

Does anyone realise that when we sit down it's on the back of our laps :shock: :wink: And I need a mirror to see round there! Out of site, out of mind! :lol:
Rose

Post by Rose »

Thanks all for the encouragement. I was a bit worried that I was just a mess because I was self-taught. This was a question that came up on another board I sometimes visit. A person was going to frog her blackwork because the back was such a riot. I posted this very question and got blasted by a few over there. One person even said that it is a matter of quality work if your back is a mess then how can you say you have done a quality job worth presenting to some one. (Not exact words but close.)

I think I will stay away from that board more now. They have about 5 or 6 people that seem to like to look down on. One is a moderator. I don't know if it is just me but when she answers a question she always seems to make it sound as if she is right and her answer is the best. I have seen many threads go on and on because some one response to her and she doesn't like it and she won't back away. I think moderators should be a bit less biased. They can give an opinion but not the law. A lot of the things they do and say over there I wonder about but I have decided to just stay here for awhile and stick with the more friendly board.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

That's right Rose, after all WE were the ones mentioned in the magazine! Some people are just obsessive complusive. Wouldn't know fun if it bit them in the face. I stopped obsessing about my backs when I realized that I just wasn't enjoying my stitching anymore, It wasn't theraputic, just a chore to do perfectly. And lord knows I am not perfect! :lol: So now along as it is neat with no trails or knots I am happy.
Linda
Genevieve

Post by Genevieve »

I agree Mauverne. What is the point of stitching if it isn't enjoyable and just becomes another form of stress? And I certainly think that stitching is theraputic for many of us - it certainly is for me. I began stitching at a stressful time in my life and haven't stopped yet. :shock:
What could be more soothing than lovely fabrics and gorgeous colours? Surely the point of any forum is not only to give help and advice, but to support one another! Stick with us Rose - this is THE place to be. :P
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

:D Hey Rose, you are amongst friends here. I too found another forum where it was too 'clique-ey'. I gave it the BIG E fairly quickly.
The important part of stitching is the pleasure it gives. Both to the stitcher and the recipient. I look at stuff I have done and think "Wow! I did that" :lol: I too am self taught and I have never worried about my 'back-side'!! :shock:
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I like the back of my work to be neat, like everyone else has said: no knots and so forth, if only because the backing material will lie better. If you follow the usual directions, it's almost impossible to not have a neat back.

What a waste of energy: I suspect those who are obsessive about immaculate backs are the same souls who turn over a plate on their hostess's table to check out the china. Wide Berth! :!: