My Favourite Craft Shop

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

alannah

My Favourite Craft Shop

Post by alannah »

I visited my favourite craft shop in the next town over yesterday...

sob sob

It has gone down hill big time. It used to have the most wonderful treasures, the building was full of nooks and corners where there was always a surprise. A little while back they moved into a new building, light airy and not so magical, that was ok though, they still had great stuff and maybe Im getting a bit old for the magical stuff!!!

But now the selection is pitiful. There were numerous gaps on their DMC wall and no idea how far away replacements would be. About 3 Dimensions kits, and they were very small. A few lavendar and lace kits. Lots and lots of bookmarks and really small designs, but nothing of a substantial size. The folders they used to have with any design you could think of were gone.

Oh and not to mention no 18 count Aida in anything but white. Im not a fan of white, not at all.

Where am I to get my supplies from now? I have found DMC threads online at a really good price but as for aida and kits and charts.... I dont know?
Does anyone know of any good online stores with not too expensive postage, its got to come to New Zealand!
Ive got my fingers crossed
Claire
Rose

Post by Rose »

Claire,
there is a thread on this forum named "Internet Sites" it has lots and lots of places to look.

We are lucky here in the States as we have lots of different stores and mags to chose from. Sorry to here that your store has gone down hill so badly. I do know that alot of times our stores tend to neglect the thread section and it looks very bad. I buy my thread off of e-bay now as you can get it pretty cheap and some times you find a buyer that will ship for free.

Good luck with your search.
photostitcher

Post by photostitcher »

At least your craft shop is still there.

My one closed down and was turned into a beauty parlour. It is opposite a beauty parlour so figure that one out. :?
purple-footprints

Post by purple-footprints »

I sympathsize with you.....

but the good news is that I now only ever buy online as Ive found it so much cheaper than going to stores. Of course I am in the UK, but you can always enquire on postage, you never know it may work out cost effective.

I buy alot of canvas and speciality threads, beads and all the other bits and pieces, including kits at www.sewandso.co.uk
If they do work out too expansive on postage they may be able to suggest somewhere else. I have emailed them with all sorts of questions and they have always been quick to respond and have been very helpful.

As for threads, be it dmc, anchor or light effects plus white 14 count, i go to an ebay seller http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Gorilla-Crafts ... idZ2QQtZkm

Again they may be ok for postage but maybe not.

Failing that I suggest you try ebay and select sellers from new zealand.

I wish you luck and hope something works out for you.

Sue

p.s An old school friend of mine moved out to new zealand a few years back and she lives in the same town as you! Isnt it a small world!
Image Image Image
fairie56

Post by fairie56 »

try: www.flossmoms.com
if you haven't heard of this group, they're people who live in the USA, "adopt" someone from abroad, come to an agreement on payment, then send whatever stash the "adoptee" needs. It's worth a try, I know a lot of people who live outside the USA say the prices, including postage, are very,very good... :D