Projects that have a huge emotional value

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Loralou

Projects that have a huge emotional value

Post by Loralou »

Just after i had finished my GCSE's my Nana came to visit (5 years ago). She paid for my latest big project to be washed and framed properly and whilst we were picking it up we chose together my next project which was a cub lying on a branch under some leaves.

2 weeks later she died suddenly and unexpectantly. We were very very close and it was her that had introduced me to cross stitch when i was very small. Every time i picked up that project i felt close to her, and thought about her whilst i was stitching. When i got close to finishing it i started to panic that i was going to lose this bond i still had to her and put it away in a folder and haven't touched it since.

I really feel i should get it out, finish it and frame it like it deserves to be, but the huge emotional upset that would cause me stops me from doing it.

I would love some advice, and maybe hear if anyone else ever had a similar experience.

Laura
StitchingAgain

Post by StitchingAgain »

*hugs* I'm so sorry to hear about your Nana.

I've never had an experience as such... but my grandmother died very unexpetantly last year. a few years ago I stitched a picture of her (b/w photo to chart) for her 80th birthday. Since then she always had it hanging on her wall, as her little pride and joy (she was very much into arts and crafts herself, and did everything from stitching to painting on glass).

When she died, her children (my father and his siblings) used that picture in the church were the funeral was held. I know both my father and my aunt really wanted it, and I was honored when they offered it back to me.

I have since then framed and mounted it to be the same as several other photo to chart pictures I've done... but I've failed to hang it on the wall with the others. The picture is still on the hallway table, greeting me each and everyday.

I'm sure you will know when the day comes that you are ready to finish the project! Just like I'll know when I'm ready to hang mine on the wall!

*hugs again*
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Try not to be afraid of your grief: you wouldn't feel that way if you didn't love her, and she, you. What better way to remember your Nana and draw strength and comfort from your memories than by spending time finishing the piece you chose together? And when it's completed you will always have that special bond to take inspiration from in the future.
You will know when the time is right. And if you are asking the question, perhaps now is the time?
Rose

Post by Rose »

You are the only one to know when it is right to finish.

My dad passed away last year, at the time we were in the niddle of trying to get mom's quilt together he was very excited about the project and was such a help in finding out information for us and also making some of the patterns. He had only finished half of the Orphanage that I have just completed when he was gone. Finishing the pattern adn doing the stitching made me remember alot of the things we did together. Now that the picture is complete I am happy I finished it and am going to finish the quilt because that is what he would have wanted.

I don't think that finishing the picture will be the end of your connection to your grandma since every time you look at it you can remeber all that she ment to you and that can be a big boost when you need it.

Good luck with your decision.
lindagibb

Post by lindagibb »

Loralou, tend to agree with the advice Rose give. Think your Nana would have wanted to you to finish it and remember her every time you looked at it. Having said that only you will know when the time is right. Keep us posted.
Loralou

Post by Loralou »

thank you everybody for your replies. I am motivated to want to finish it now, but when it came to it, couldn't do it. So i will wait a little while longer. I have projects on the go that i am really in to!

I am doing Tuscany and am about 2/3 of the way through and only started 1 week ago! Think it's going to be a record stitch for me!

Thanks again guys xx

Laura