I'm moving... eeeeek!

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

StitchingAgain

I'm moving... eeeeek!

Post by StitchingAgain »

We just found out yesterday that we're moving... and I'm so happy and so terrified at the same time!

There's so much to do! *rips hair out* Not just hall the stuff to pack, rent vans, etc... but all the little things... like the gas/electrisity/phone, council tax, vet, doctor, dentist, electoral rolls, DVD rentals, insurances, car lease, etc... *no more hair left*

And the worst part - we don't even have a place to move into! lol! We have a house in mind, and we're trying for a mortage, but as the house is wooden (I had no idea the banks were so much against wooden houses, nor the insurance companies! Since I grew up in a counrty where the majority of houses are wooden, I really can't see what the big deal is!) we're having problems finding a lender that doesn't freak out as soon as you mention "wood".

If we can't find any, we'll have to rent. And we've already found a gorgeous house to rent... but as we're trying to buy, the house for rent will probably be snapped up soon by someone else.

Not to mention the fish! If we get the house then we'll have to build a pond asap, and they'll have to be in one of our tanks meanwhile. If we have to rent, we'll have to buy a gigantic tank for them to live in until we find another house we like (which then can't be until a year, as the lease is for a year).

Please, people, keep your fingers crossed for me to stay sane while all this goes on (lol!) and for us to get the house we really want!
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

Good luck with the move, I know what you are going through. My best friend is moving on June 25th from Southern Ontario to New Brunswick, that is a 16 hour drive with 20 pomeranians (she breeds and shows them) two very large teenage boys and a really ticked off Siamese cat who is not going to be happy spending 16 hours in a cage. I am going to drive down with them and fly back home two weeks later. Doesn't that sound like fun :?: :?: :?: :? :? It is going to be a sad day when I leave, we have been best friends for 30 years (sniff sniff), and her boys are my godsons, but at least I have a vacation spot to go to. I hope you find the house you want, my friend was looking for years to buy in Ontario but the prices are anywhere from $200.000 to 500.00 and she found a house with 13 acres for $43.000. so I cant blame her for wanting to go (sure I can), so dont get too stressed out, and enjoy your new home.
Linda
Rose

Post by Rose »

I can understand the head ache you are facing. In the span of les then two years we moved from New Jersey to Oregon to Wyoming to Texas to California. With two children ages 5 and 3.NOT FUN If you get out a map of the states that is from one coast(east) to the other(west) and from almost the northern border to the southern one. It all had to do with husbands job. What a pain. Lucky no pets at that time.

Of course this was 14 years ago but the thought of a move still make me kringe.
StitchingAgain

Post by StitchingAgain »

Luckily there are no human kids for us to move! lol! Even so, we still have to prepare for when the kids come (my two stepkids), which I believe will be in August some time.

I really am starting to freak out about it now... and we've even put in a bid on the house! lol! Subject to survey (which is being carried out either today or tomorrow), and very low (to see what they say... if it's no, we'll just have to go higher)... and we still haven't found a lender for the wooden house! *looks around for cat to rip his fur out now*

mauveme: I'm sorry your friend is moving so far away... but as you say: Think of all the fabulous holiday you can go on to visit her! 13 acres! Wow! Hmmm... maybe we can move in there too? lol!
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Are you staying in Scotland?? Hope so!

I can't imagine moving: we've been in this house for almost 20 years! Too Much Stuff! :lol:
StitchingAgain

Post by StitchingAgain »

Serinde: Yes, we're moving back up to the angus district. That's were we first lived when we got to Scotland, and we just loved it! But... then there were no jobs going there, so we had to move from there when my partner got a job in Stirling. Now - he's gotten a new job up there, so finally we can get back up there!

We've only been in this house for 2 years... but before we moved here we needed 2 removal vans to get here... so I don't even dare to start thinking of how much stuff we got now! lol! We'll be very sad to move from here, as we love the house and garden... but very happy to get back up to the places we love! I mean... this is what we'll be close to now (piccies taken last time we were up there):
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Don't worry about your fish!

As for the lease, you might try a short assured tenancy agreement which can be for as short a period as 6 months, as an alternative to a 12-month lease. In any case, there will be a clause (read it VERY carefully) allowing you to terminate the contract before the specified time period is up. So if you sign a year lease but find a house in 8 months, say, there's no problem. Just paperwork. :lol:
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

all I can say "GOD's COUNTRY"
Linda
fairie56

Post by fairie56 »

ooooo!!! stitchingagain, no wonder! (sent you an email about your address, so i can guess that can wait.) What part of Scotland are you moving to? I absolutley loved it when I visited, can't get it out of my mind (and heart). Fingers are crossed that you get what you want in the way of the house, and the insurance. (has your hair grown back? :lol: )
inuyashagirl

Post by inuyashagirl »

Dear Stitching again. I loved the pics and wich i was back in Scotland. My mother is from Aberdeen and loved it up there. I hope that you get your house and insurance as i know what i problem that can be as just recently our insurance company dropped us as they said we were harbouring street dogs and that they were potentianly dangerous, which was just crazy. they are dogs that have been rescued and that we were boarding and trying to find homes for them. We finally found somebody for the insurance but we had to prove that there was no danger from the dogs. I hope that you cat did not suffer to much hair pulling LOL :lol: Just think, you are going back to where you really want to be so you are very lucky. Hope fully one day i will be able to move where i would like to, which is British Columbia.

Debbie
lindagibb

Post by lindagibb »

Hi Stitching Again, don't envy you the move having recently done it myself. I was lucky in a way as I didn't have all the little things you speak about to do as we lived in a compound in Saudi and everything was included in the rent. I only had to notify the British Embassy that we were leaving. DH's new employers in Bahrain were paying for our stuff to be shipped from Saudi to Bahrain, so all I had to do was arrange for the packers to come in then sort out what I wanted to shipped over and pack the clothes. When I came out to Saudi two years ago, DH had moved into the house with 1 box of stuff and when we moved out we had 28 boxes weighing a total of 850kgs. Even in Bahrain the house was already allocated to us, although we hadn't seen it before we arrived, were chuffed to bits with it and again the company organised the transfer of the phone and electricity from them to us.

Hope you offer for the house is successful and the survey is good and you find a lender. There are some out there but for the life of me can't remember who they are. Might be an idea to speak to some of the neighbours with similar houses around the new (hopefully) house and see if any of them have mortgages and if they do who their lenders are.

I agree with Serinde about the lease. I used to work as a legal secretary in a solicitors office in Scotland before I moved out to Saudi and most of the leases that we did were short assured tenancies which are for 6 months. It might be a suggestion to speak to the landlord and maybe come to some arrangement that the lease could be terminated early if you found a house to buy. Anotherr suggestion would be if you were leasing somewhere and then go on to buy set the date of entry to tie in the end of the lease or maybe a couple of weeks before so that you can move your household stuff in and get it sorted out instead of moving in and living out of boxes. Hope that makes sense.

Inuyashagirl : what a small world, I live just north of Aberdeen and my kids live and working in Aberdeen. When did you Mum leave Aberdeen?
StitchingAgain

Post by StitchingAgain »

Well... there's been a litle bit of an update... The bid has been accpted (yay!), the survey says the house is worth what we bid (yay!)... and there might be a chance that Nationwide Building Society will take us on... wooden house and all! Fingers, toes, needles and threads crossed - and hopefully we'll know more within a couple of days!
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

Got everything crossed for you :D
Linda
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Consider everything crossed!
lindagibb

Post by lindagibb »

Request granted. Hope everything goes through okay.