Seville oranges

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

daisymay

Seville oranges

Post by daisymay »

Police in Spain caught robbers with 2 cars full of Seville oranges which had been stolen. So glad you bought yours in UK Wendy. :lol:

It is on BBC news webpage
Daisy :)
wendywombat

Re: Seville oranges

Post by wendywombat »

It's funny that even in Spain you can't buy them!! They are all exported. I guess if you lived there and knew a local grower then you might be able to buy direct. Once we found a whole branch of them lying by the road. I think they might have fallen from a lorry or more likely some one stole them from an orange grove thinking they were sweet oranges and threw them away.....I made Marmalade from them!! We were on a camp site at the time so I had to beg empty jars from the other campers in exchange for a filled jar!!
It was legal to pick citrus fruit from the ground on the periphery of the grove but not to take them from the trees or go into the grove.

Every winter we get Spanish eating oranges being sold by the roadside here, or on garage forecourts. These are licenced growers who bring them north to markets. I buy a crate at a time from them for €10 (about £8) and there's 15kg in each crate. Not had a bad one yet, and we juice them at breakfast time.
daisymay

Post by daisymay »

Thanks for all the info Wendy. Amazing, you can't buy Seville oranges in Spain. How lovely to have a freebie branch that year. And great for those with empty jars to get a free marmalade freshly made with local produce. No time lag in that case, really could not have been fresher. That batch off marmalade must have been gorgeous to say the least, yummy. Makes my moth water thinking about it.

As well as making jams my mum used to make chutneys while one of her sisters made marmalade but of course not with oranges that fresh. Aunt made jam too but they'd exchange chutneys for marmalade. When mum made pickled onions she did it while we were a school & Dad at work. She always tried to get onion smell out of the house as it made our eyes water so much. Never affected mum though.

BTW cars had stolen oranges from boot base to top of car interiors!
BizzieLizzie

Post by BizzieLizzie »

daisymay wrote:Police in Spain caught robbers with 2 cars full of Seville oranges which had been stolen.
Might’ve been my Mum. She’s been making cartloads of marmalade lately!
Sew many patterns, sew little time!

WIP
HAED Drawing Room
HAED Stitchers Retreat
Lion Profile
Coniferous Forest

daisymay

Post by daisymay »

@rotfl: @rotfl: @rotfl: @rotfl: ] BizzieLizzie that sure made me laugh

sorry couldn't work out how to do the quote, must learn that.
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

daisymay wrote:@rotfl: @rotfl: @rotfl: @rotfl: ] BizzieLizzie that sure made me laugh

sorry couldn't work out how to do the quote, must learn that.
Me too!! @rotfl: @rotfl: @rotfl:

Daisymay, just click on the 'quote symbol' top right of the reply, next to your avatar picture! :dance:
daisymay

Post by daisymay »

Thank you Wendy. I did do that but was unable copy & paste the words I wanted in between the quote marks symbols :roll: