2018 Stash & Grab

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

rcperryls

Re: 2018 Stash & Grab

Post by rcperryls »

wendywombat wrote:
Mabel Figworthy wrote:
poppy wrote:Cross stitch and riding sound like a good combination to me
Cross stitch and riding sound like a very dangerous combination to me :shock: !
Well that does depend where you put your pin cushion or scissors! :lol: :wink:
@rotfl: @rotfl:

Carole
:lol:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

I need a hot chocolate while I'm editing/updating (and practising) my "Talk About Embroidery", which I am to present to the Leicester Embroiderers' Guild on Saturday.
Last time I gave this talk I forgot the charger for my laptop, and had to do the first half without illustrations until DH had rushed over with the charger :shock: - I'll double-check this time!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Have all the chocolate you need. Do you a reminder from us on Friday that you need to check that your charger is with any other supplies/equipment you are taking?

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Mabel Figworthy

Thanks Carole, but that is one thing I'm in no danger of forgetting ever again :-) ! (I'll probably forget something else though...)
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

I need an icy cold bottle of mineral water, I think.

It is all about my long suffering guelder rose. Little wonder I could not stitch it on one breath- I turned the fabric upside down or what do you call it when the width is the length and vice versa?

I am glad I realised it after having stitched 2 hundred or 3 hundred stitches, not half the work. Imagine what a job it will be to unpick on 14 count Aida with a pearl thread? I am not even angry with myself as I was so overtired when I was starting this project that somehow am not surprised too much about having turned it all wrong. I am surprised I managed to cut a correct size fabric.

Funny how we have the sixth feeling- I was stitching so slowly, as if my subconscience knew it was in vain.

I think 5 hours of pure stitching at the least were wasted. As Ukrainians say, all the work has gone under the cat's tail, or as the English saying goes, to the dogs.

Am I supposed to cry or to laugh?
Lyudmila
poppy

Post by poppy »

Mabel, hot chocolate is very good for getting the brain into gear, in my opinion :D . Also, I would write a list and leave it around until Friday and add to it, as you think of what to take. Good luck with the talk. I wish I could be there to listen to it. :D

Oh Podolyanka :hug:
I have done that once too. It is easily done, especially when super tired. It is a lot of stitches to undo. I would undo a bit every day and do something else rewarding in between.
We won't do that again in a hurry...!
Hélène

Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace

Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Definitely hot choc for Mabel (plus whatever trimmings); all available here, as you know. You can sit back and dream about skating on the frozen canals (as apparently some of your fellows are doing). Sounds good to me, too, so I might join you.

Oh help and bother, Podolyanka! We've all done it. Why oh why don't we listen to our intuition in these cases??
Nicola Main

Post by Nicola Main »

Here's another for a hot chocolate! Nothing like it, warms the cockles as they say! Good luck with your talk Mabel I'm sure it'll be fantastic! Oh Podolyanka I feel for you! I went one stitch out in the new one I'm doing and had to frog about 50 stitches. If it was mine I would have left it as it wouldn't really have been noticeable but as it's going to be one used for the front cover of the kits it has to be perfect! :x:
Work in Progress
Rachel Froud 'Highlander'
Mabel Figworthy

Ouch Podolyanka :-( Hope the unpicking goes as smoothly as possible, and no more work gets lost under the cat's tail. What a nice saying, by the way - much of my work gets under the cat's tail, but that's because Lexi sits on it given half a chance :-D
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

Thank you all for your kind words which really helped me to look at the problem as a small adventure. Today I have unpicked it all and now the fabric is ready for a restart.
Lyudmila
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

It is so easy to do Lyudmilla and I have almost done it once or twice. Good to know that the upicking (frogging) has been done ok now put a mark on it so you know which is the right way up. :)
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

Sally, thank you for your support. I have stitched more since today's 7am than I had done within that week before frogging. And I have learnt the lesson, so will remember which side is the right one even without marking.
Lyudmila
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

I used to put a "T" at the top of the fabric...even then I got it wrong one time!! :tizzy: :doh:

I've even miss counted and had only 4 Aida squares left at the bottom of a large design! :shock: :tantrum:

Pleased that you have managed to correct your little error! :wink:
laura-rose

Post by laura-rose »

Just wandered in to look around. Is this a cafe/coffee bar/pub establisements where forum members go to boost thier spirits? Looks inviting whatever it is & has a relaxing, friendly ambience. I take it there is wonderful food as well as drinks of all types. Do you stitch 'n' natter in here or just natter?
Laura :)
Mabel Figworthy

We do whatever we feel like, Laura :-) - time stretches into infinity here, so you can get all the stitching done that you want, and the view is personalised, so whether you like lakes, mountains, sheep in a meadow or a sky-scraper city-scape, it's there outside your window. All the food and drink is non-allergenic and zero-calorie. And the company is the best!
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Nicola Main

Post by Nicola Main »

I'm currently stitching in a large, light conservatory with big windows overlooking woods and fields with bird feeders outside the visitors of which keep distracting me from my work! (P.S. In my head this is where I am, in reality I'm stitching in a very underlit study room which has no windows at all!) :doh:
Work in Progress
Rachel Froud 'Highlander'
Mabel Figworthy

Definitely a conservatory for me as well, Nicola - mine overlooks either the sea, or a garden sloping down to a stream (must have water in the view!) Lots of light, and one of the windows open to admit birdsong :-)
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
laura-rose

Post by laura-rose »

Just my sort of surroundings to stitch in too, esp. with one window open to hear birdsong. How wonderful. I've heard before about this sort out thing, when one can travel anywhere in your mind. Think that was to be somewhere other than a bad place in life. Not suitable for undoing stitches though like the Ukrainian lady had do to get fabric round right way. I would have been so annoyed with myself but glad she could think it just had to be done very carefully & kept calm. Well done :applesauce: :applesauce:
Laura :)
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

And if you look out over there... over left down at the shoreline, you’ll see our treehouse. :D
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

If you look carefully you'll see Puffin Burrows up to the left in that bank just waiting for the birds to return from their winter out at sea! :dance: