Half cross stitch?

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

poppy

Half cross stitch?

Post by poppy »

Although the photo is not clear, where I circle the square (top left square of the red circle), there are 2 different symbols on this one square. The outline divides it unequally.
Do I just stitch half cross-stitch for each symbol? I hope that you understand what I mean. :D
Hélène

Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace

Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell
Nicola Main

Re: Half cross stitch?

Post by Nicola Main »

Yes those are fractional stitches Helene. I'm on my mobile so can't do diagrams but this link may help you http://www.yarntree.com/040halfstitch.htm" target="_blank" target="_blank
Work in Progress
Rachel Froud 'Highlander'
DisneyStitcher

Post by DisneyStitcher »

Ooooohhhh, a tough one. I usually do that kind of marking one of two ways depending on which I think would look better within the design. Usually I do a 3/4 stitch in the larger half of the square and a 1/4 stitch in the smaller half, that way I have more coverage underneath the backstitch. If I think it won't look too bulky, sometimes I'll just go ahead and do the full stitch underneath. I don't particularly care for just doing 1/4 stitches as I feel it leaves too much fabric showing after the backstitching is done. All of that being said, I'm usually working on 14 ct or 18 ct. If you're working on a smaller count fabric, 1/4 stitches would probably work just fine.
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

If both symbols in the square are the same, I do a full stitch. I think sometimes, if there is backstitching cutting through the square, that the backstitch line obliterates the symbol if the symbol is centered in the square so the designer puts the symbol on either side of the backstitch line so you can see it.

If the symbols are different, I'll either do two 1/4 stitches and let the backstitch lay on top to separate them or I'll do a 3/4 stitch of the 'front" color and a quarter stitch of the 'background' color. Even though the backstitching doesn't divide it equally, it's usually not noticeable unless you put it right to your nose and scrutinize it, which no one will do when viewing the finished piece. Doing two quarter stitches makes it less bulky in that square. I make the decision on which way to do it based on the design and how I want it to look.

WIP
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Helene I usually do 1/4 stitches in the corner and colour symbols say as the back stitch covers the remainder of the square. Takes a bit of doing on aida admittedly but I like the effect better.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

and i tend to do two threequarter stitches in the square unless it would be way too bulky (so 20 count and above) but working on 14-18 or 28-36 ill use two.

and then the back stitch goes over the top.

whatever you prefer really!
Niki xxx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
poppy

Post by poppy »

Thank you for all the very helpful answers. Armed with this, I will see what looks best. You are all brilliant! :whoop:
Hélène

Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace

Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Sometimes you need to experiment to see which is the 1/4 stitch and which one the 3/4

For instance if it's part of the shaping or shading and there's a darker shade which may look better' underneath'