Opinions on what to do

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Nicola McKay

Opinions on what to do

Post by Nicola McKay »

I did this piece:

for my grandma for her Christmas a few years ago. She sadly died last weekend after a fall during the night. She lived in sheltered housing and because it's council owned we had to clear out the flat quite quickly. Most of the furniture has gone to charity but pretty much the rest of her belongings went to the skip. I took the picture I did for her back as I didn't like the thought of it going in the bin but it isn't to my taste and I'll never hang it up in my house so I'm not sure what to do with it. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
wendywombat

Re: Opinions on what to do

Post by wendywombat »

I'm sorry for your loss. I expect that your Grandma loved that picture you stitched for her so it would be sad to bin it.
When my late MIL died there were pictures that I had stitched for her. I, like you, didn't want to keep them but a couple of her friends did. I also gave one to the warden of the sheltered accommodation where Mum lived. She put it up in the communal lounge where the residents sat.
Is there such a facility where your Grandma lived?
RosemaryH

Post by RosemaryH »

Your grandmother must have loved receiving the wonderful picture that you stitched for her. Please accept my heartfelt condolences. Did she have a special friend that would like to have this as a memorial to her? Did she have any strong connections with a church or some other place that would like to receive it from her?

When my MIL died we had to clear her flat in the same way and it is a really difficult thing to have to do. Many of her friends came and asked for certain keepsakes and her church also took many things to pass to others. One particular painting was taken by the administrator to put in the events lounge of her accommodation and some smaller ones were put in the hallways.

Take care.

Rosemary
I’m part of the Transworld Book Group!’
kingfisher68(2)

Post by kingfisher68(2) »

Sorry to hear about your grandmother Nicola. This is a beautiful picture you made & as I was reading this I had the same thoughts as Wendy. Asking if they would like it for the lounge in the place your grandmother lived if not, is there another care home or nursing home in area who would like it to have it. It would certainly give a lot of pleasure to older people as it is a gentle subject & has subtle colours.

Also as Rosemary H suggested a church or another place your grandmother liked is a good idea too.

Hope you do find a suitable home for it as it is so lovely.
Izzi

If you believe you can you wil

Finished 2017
Pleasant Row Cottages
Kingfisher & flowers
RosemaryH

Post by RosemaryH »

Just had another thought, local hospital waiting room or a hospice would be an ideal place as it is one of those lovely calming things to look at.

Rosemary
fccs

Post by fccs »

I think everyone has shared some great ideas. If those don’t pan out, maybe just take it out of the frame and just keep the stitching. That way you’d have it without having to display it. It’s really pretty, btw.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Nicola McKay

Post by Nicola McKay »

Thank you all for your kind words and suggestions. I did think about asking the warden if they would like to put it up somewhere, either in the common room or in a hallway but didn't think anyone would like it. I noticed there were some tapestries hanging up in the hallway when we were clearing out the flat so maybe they would. I might pop in past and ask if they'll take it. I still have to return the key fob for the main door of the building anyway. If not I might just take it out the frame and keep it like fccs suggested. Thank you again.
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I am sorry to hear about your loss. I think the ideas suggested have been great ones. It is a lovely piece and I hope that you are able to find a place for it.

Carole
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Another idea would be to enter it into an auction for charity, perhaps to contribute to a cause your grandmother particularly favoured? (This is a pretty common thing recently in this neck of the woods.)
Nicola McKay

Post by Nicola McKay »

I asked the warden if they would take it and she said she would get it hung up in the hallway of the floor my grandma lived on. Thank you all again for your help.
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

That's a lovely outcome! May it be part of the memories with which she will be in your heart.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
kingfisher68(2)

Post by kingfisher68(2) »

So glad your picture was accepted in the place where your grandmother lived. Apart from being a lovely picture it will remind your grandmother's friends of times spent with her. A lovely memento & tribute to her. Hope this outcome helps ease your loss :)
Izzi

If you believe you can you wil

Finished 2017
Pleasant Row Cottages
Kingfisher & flowers
RosemaryH

Post by RosemaryH »

I am so pleased that the warden values your hard work and that she wishes to honour your grandmother in this manner. Everyone who walks past it will admire it therefore it will bring pleasure to a lot of people. I am sure that your grandmother would be very happy with what you have done with such a special gift.

Let your happy memories of your time together give you comfort. Laugh at the silly things that happened, smile when you picture her face and remember the things that she used to say to you, whether that was advice, odd sayings or family stories because it is all important.

RosemaryH